Yosemite suggestions? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2023, 09:11 AM   #1

Trailer: Looking for Escape 17B
Yosemite suggestions?

We were lucky to get a spot hiking the Yosemite High Sierra Camps circuit for 5 days in August 2023. We plan to drive to the area with our Escape 17B. Does anyone have a recommendation for a site in the area, preferably on the YARTS bus system so we don’t have to take either the vehicle or the trailer into the park? Any suggestions for where to leave the trailer for 5 days other than the obvious one of just booking a site for that time period? TIA for the advice.
DaveinNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 01:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Just try for in the park during the time period you want. It’s hard to get specifics, and if you’re not going to be in the trailer….

If you’re in the trailer, shoot for the valley. High country is great, but valley is awe inspiring.

Everything in the high country and in the valley is along the bus system.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 03:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 E19
My experience isn't recent, but with Toulumne Meadows campground closed, and assuming that you're pulling your trailer, Crane Flat or White Wolf are the closest CGs in the park to the high country trails. We used to (a number of years ago) use Saddlebag campground, near the top of Tioga Pass. Current Goggle images show the CG and a large (sort of) parking area, where you might be able to stage your trailer. If you haven't driven Tioga Pass from US 395, make sure you're comfortable with exposure to heights and your vehicle has plenty of ponies under the hood. Have Fun!
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 03:26 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 2023
I did not know about Tioga Pass in the context, thanks. I did the Million Dollar Hwy two years ago and am not sure I’d do it again. Planning a Yosemite trip 2023 or 24, too.
Great topic, OP thanks!
Jules2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 03:49 PM   #5
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
It would be difficult to acquire reservations anywhere in the park now (I am sure you already know this) especially with the main hiking thoroughfare for the high country (Tuolumne meadows campground closed until 2024/25 ) closed. There are first come first serve campgrounds up there but it's tough if you do not know the area and how the system works ( besides you need confirmed reservations ).
You might try to make reservation at "Oh Ridge Campground" in june lake before they are gone. August is peak camping/hiking season the campsite will be full of families and kids, make friends with your neighbors or the numerous camp host ( everyone will be friendly and helpful ) I am sure someone will give you a 10 minute ride to the shell gas station ( Yards June Lake Junction 158/395 204)
Good luck and enjoy Gods country
Attached Thumbnails
Ten.jpg  
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 03:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 E19
I recall seeing 2-tracks all over the national forest land in the June Lake area, where people have apparently driven and/or boondocked. Not sure how you'd feel about leaving the trailer unattended in the middle of the forest, though. I have no idea if there is any parking lot or business' parking area in Lee Vining where it could be left.

Is it not possible to drive your rig into Tuolumne Meadows area and leave it parked there? I have a vague recollection of seeing a parking lot in that vicinity, and I also wonder (a long shot though) if rigs might be allowed to simply park (not camp) in the CG. Just wondering what most people do with their vehicles when they go on that multi-day hike. Have you asked the outfitters? Surely you're not the first trailer tow-er to be in this position.
Old 02-27-2023, 04:09 PM   #7
Tin

Yosemite National Park's largest campground, the Tuolumne Meadows Campground, is closed until 2024, or possibly 2025 for a massive rehabilitation project. Thanks to the Great American Outdoors Act, this $20 million dollar project will be targeting roads, restrooms, campsites, and the campgrounds water and sewer system.

Tuolumne Meadows is the main gateway into the high sierras. Can't wait until all the new constructions is done!
Attached Thumbnails
Tuolumne Meadows Campground.jpg  
Old 02-27-2023, 04:17 PM   #8
Tin

Yes there are tons of fire, logging and mines roads through out the sierras. and you can camp on many of them with the proper permits but I would not leave my lovelies all alone for week.
Attached Thumbnails
2.jpg  
Old 02-27-2023, 05:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 E19
On further consideration, contact the Inyo National Forest Office in Bishop, California. (760-873-2400 Pacific Time Zone) for maps, and information regarding camping. Inquire about the 'Eastern Sierra Expanded Transit System'. Because of high demand for recreation in the area. from Mt Whitney to Yosemite, transit is being developed to keep as many cars as possible from parking at trailheads.
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 06:48 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Tioga Pass (route 120) will likely be closed until mid June this year after these massive snow storms.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 09:20 PM   #11
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Tioga Pass (route 120) will likely be closed until mid June this year after these massive snow storms.
Yes! We have a cabin near Dodge Ridge (10 mi from Yosemite the way the crow flies) and they are projecting 5-7 feet of storm snowfall the next 2 days. Interesting weather system!
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 09:36 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Yes there are tons of fire, logging and mines roads through out the sierras. and you can camp on many of them with the proper permits but I would not leave my lovelies all alone for week.
Fabulous campsite, Tin! Where is it?

Tags
yosemite