10 random questions about some build sheet details - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2016, 12:57 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
any comments on my remaining questions?

six: we are going to get a Counter extension just to the left of the sink…. (partially blocks door when up) - i am told it is great for when washing dishes.

Is the other logical place for another one just to the right of the stove (kitchen area) jutting into the curb side bench dinette area? When that area is a bed, might that make a nice small night table?

Note - no u-shaped dinette.

seven: going to go with NO graphics, and white belly band. Any downsides?

eight: going to go with E2 sway & WDH. Installed by ETI
ETI says it is best with the bigger trailers, and yes, I DO want a WDH & sway.
Any downsides to that particular model?

... ten: going to add two additional 12v/dual USB interior outlets. I am thinking locations of 1) adjacent to stock 120v outlet, rear passenger side bench. 2) adjacent to stock 120v drivers side, above fixed bed, in overhead cabinet.

any better or worse places? I’d use them for charging USB headlamps / phones / etc.

thanks!!!
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:09 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
#6, with the 21 you have plenty of counter space for dish drying, I also would put a towel down on the covered stove top, but the door is narrow enough without making it narrower. Adding a flip up to the nightstand side is ideal for "pocket items" before retiring. I also had two in the dinette area, they did not impede sleeping and were used when we took the table out, which you can still do.
#10, I had 4 extra 12v outlets installed, as you can never have too many.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:11 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
seven: going to go with NO graphics, and white belly band. Any downsides?
For me personally, I have seen at least one, and don't care for the blank white look. Not that it is that bad, but I feel the graphics give it a bit of pizazz. Maybe if it was a different colour shell.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:13 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Six: extensions at each side of dinette in 21. We love our half extension at the foot of the bed, but with the counter there in the 21 seems like overkill. Not sure about an extension at door area in 21. Works in the 19, but don't see it in the 21 that I recall.

Seven: It'll look like a Casita. With 64 colors of graphics to choose from, I like color.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
#6, with the 21 you have plenty of counter space for dish drying, I also would put a towel down on the covered stove top, but the door is narrow enough without making it narrower. Adding a flip up to the nightstand side is ideal for "pocket items" before retiring. I also had two in the dinette area, they did not impede sleeping and were used when we took the table out, which you can still do.
#10, I had 4 extra 12v outlets installed, as you can never have too many.
I recently saw a flip up counter extension to the left of the stove in a 21' and it did not intrude (when down) into the door area in any significant way (in my opinion)

cpaharley may I ask what exact locations were your 4 extra 12v outlets? I'm just trying to figure out clever spots for them.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2016, 12:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Six: extensions at each side of dinette in 21. We love our half extension at the foot of the bed, but with the counter there in the 21 seems like overkill. Not sure about an extension at door area in 21. Works in the 19, but don't see it in the 21 that I recall.

Seven: It'll look like a Casita. With 64 colors of graphics to choose from, I like color.
In my experience of looking at older fiberglass trailers.... the graphics tend to fade and crack and peel over (a long) time, making the trailer look .... well... blah, and old.

and if those faded graphics are removed, then you see a 'ghost' of where they were, burnt into the fiberglass.

I myself like the clean plain white fiberglass, no graphics. I know I am in the minority.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:07 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
cpaharley may I ask what exact locations were your 4 extra 12v outlets? I'm just trying to figure out clever spots for them.

I had BlackJack tv ready in 2 locations, dinette street oh and over the nightstand so each of those had 12v, the stock one was over the bed, I had 2 more installed in the dinette area one on the curb o/h to tap for the radio and awning lights and one on the lower dinette side, curbside and I installed an extra one under the bed to plug in a voltmeter where it could be seen from outside. Six total.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:42 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 19' 5/02/17
I need to get my mind right as a rookie to these issues. When you are talking about getting several 12v outlets those are only operational with the $850 inverter option correct?
bsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:47 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoke View Post
I need to get my mind right as a rookie to these issues. When you are talking about getting several 12v outlets those are only operational with the $850 inverter option correct?
No -the 12v are DC outlets will operate all the time from the battery, the AC outlets will only work with an inverter or when you are plugged into shore power. The inverters take in 12V DC from the batteries and outputs 110V AC. The trailer comes with a converter that takes in 110V AC from shore power and converts it into 12V DC to charge the battery. It's quite confusing at first.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:36 PM   #30

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
In my experience of looking at older fiberglass trailers.... the graphics tend to fade and crack and peel over (a long) time, making the trailer look .... well... blah, and old.

and if those faded graphics are removed, then you see a 'ghost' of where they were, burnt into the fiberglass.

I myself like the clean plain white fiberglass, no graphics. I know I am in the minority.
A minority that seems to be growing. You are right, when it fades or peels you will likely have ghosting.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:44 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Eric has it right. I would add that inverters are a funny beast. I believe they have a lot of downside and not a lot of upside. First when you are in an RV, you are in a 12 volt world. Everything possible works off 12 volt or propane. This includes the furnace, the water pump, the refrigerator, the lights, the hot water heater and the breakaway brakes. These all use 12 volt and/or propane. The big exception is the A/C.

Second, there are many devices that you can purchase that run on 12 volt: portable fans, clocks, laptop computers, chargers for phones and tablets and I am sure many others. Then there are substitutes, my wife has access to a butane powered curling iron and dries her hair in the campground bathroom.

Third, there seems to be things that travellers cannot do without. Probably the main use of the inverter is the microwave, followed by some special appliance one cannot give up such as a favorite coffee pot, coffee grinder or blender. Many of these items have alternative devices to achieve a similar result, some are even available in 12 volt versions. A big source for 12 volt ideas can be a truck stop, all big rigs are using 12 volt devices or an inverter.

Now the down side to an inverter. The biggest is they are inefficient, there is a significant loss in converting 12 volt to 115 volt. Second would be they can draw power from your batteries even when not in use. Third they cannot run everything. The air conditioner for one, possibly the hair dryer are probably off limits. Fourth, they have a limited time span, they are limited to 1/2 the amp hours of your battery. Running a microwave for 15 minutes is a measurement I use. And finally they may require solar and may require the dual six volt batteries, only to be able to provide enough power and to recover from inverter usage.

I think what I have said is an over simplification. There are many variables.

Back to your original question, yes you want to add additional 12 volt outlets. On the 21 there is only one standard, right in the center of the trailer. I would opt for ones on both ends. Not sure where the standard one is now on a 19, but ours had it high over the queen bed, easy to access but no shelf to place anything you may be charging. Related to this is consideration of having some extra 12 volt runs installed, no connector on the end, just a live 12 wire placed in a cabinet. I had several of these for adding items later such as lighting, TV, sound systems and clocks.

Here is the funny part Bruce, I am installing an inverter.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:22 PM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
My 1988 Scamp has the original graphics and are not faded, cracked or peeling. They, like the rest of the trailer is kept waxed. I suppose if they were faded, cracked and peeling the rest of the trailer would look likewise.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:22 PM   #33

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
My 1988 Scamp has the original graphics and are not faded, cracked or peeling. They, like the rest of the trailer is kept waxed. I suppose if they were faded, cracked and peeling the rest of the trailer would look likewise.
Donna question about the graphics . You put wax on them too ? Or should we use 303 ? Our wax says do not use on vinyl . What wax do you use ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:30 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Donna question about the graphics . You put wax on them too ? Or should we use 303 ? Our wax says do not use on vinyl . What wax do you use ? Pat
Yep, just wax right over the top of the decals. I think when you're reading "vinyl" they very well may mean vinyl seats... maybe. I've used just about everything on the Scamp from Gel Gloss to Meguiar's to Nu Finish. Just depends on how much time I have. It's all good. About the only thing that's consistent is I use Turtle Wash and Wax on all trailers and motor vehicles. In fact I'm using Turtle Ice Spray Wax on my F-150. Neat stuff!
Old 04-29-2016, 08:47 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Donna is right on as usual. I've had several Scamps 20-30 yrs old and the decals were in great shape. I've only found bad looking decals on poorly maintained trailers and the shell is usually in similar condition. Good quality wax every 6-9 mos and everything will still look great 10-20 years from now.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:56 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
10 random questions about some build sheet details

When it comes to signage or decals not all vinyl is created equal. There is good better best and like ink pigments the warm end of the spectrum fade quickest.
Cheers
Doug
Old 04-29-2016, 09:02 PM   #37
Site Team

I'm betting ETI uses Oracal 651 or Oracal 951. If you look at ETI trailers that are 10 years old, the decals look as good as new (if the owners have been taking care of the trailer). Seeing Jim's 2009 17' with black decals was the reason I went with black too. Elegant!
Old 04-29-2016, 09:23 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
These are the Avery 700 High Performance Films Escape uses. I don't they use the high gloss though.
http://graphics.averydennison.com/co...-1-24-v6-2.pdf

As mentioned, emailed Avery and had them send me a sample book that has all their colours in in. Much truer than the one I linked to, especially if you don't have a calibrated monitor, and WAY better than the one that Escape emailed me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:51 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We removed the Escape graphics on our 19' which were a year old, and there was just a little ghosting as I recall (but there would be plenty if several years old). We are slowly adding graphics to our no-graphics 21' with white belly band. You can make it your own on the exterior just as you do with the interior.

Have the driver's side extra hatch and would not be without it. Nothing like having to go into the trailer and all the way to the back when rain and mud, and get the cushions, flip-up tables and everything moved to get something out of there. We have no need to fit everything under the bed.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:51 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yep, just wax right over the top of the decals. I think when you're reading "vinyl" they very well may mean vinyl seats... maybe. I've used just about everything on the Scamp from Gel Gloss to Meguiar's to Nu Finish. Just depends on how much time I have. It's all good. About the only thing that's consistent is I use Turtle Wash and Wax on all trailers and motor vehicles. In fact I'm using Turtle Ice Spray Wax on my F-150. Neat stuff!
Donna , Gregg also ,I went out to read label of my wax . Marine, RV Meguiar's pure wax, 56 . On the back it say's keep off vinyl and rubber areas . I use the Gel Gloss to wash trailer . The Meguiar's is saying it is a Carnauba Blend . I have Nu Finish also I could use . What do you think ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote