12 V Television for trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2016, 10:43 AM   #1

Trailer: In the exploration phase for Escape trailers
12 V Television for trailer

Hi, our 21' escape will be ready in October so are starting to make our options list. We are going to go with the dual 6 v batteries and solar and thought a 12 V TV would work well with this. We would like our TV to have a USB so we can watch downloaded movies and thought a 20-22" TV would work well. So far I haven't found many options for 12 V TV's with USB port. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.
lips3345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
You could use a laptop to play the movie, displaying it on the TV through an HDMI cable. If you put the movies on microSD cards, and use a tablet or phone that has a microSD slot (that is, presumably not anything from Apple), you could play the movies on the tablet/phone and display it on the TV through an HDMI cable. An alternative to an HDMI cable is a Chromecast or similar device that accepts the video from the computer/phone/tablet over WiFi and puts it into an HDMI port on the TV.

All of this assume that the TV has an HDMI port - it's hard to imagine a TV built today that wouldn't have at least one.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:00 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
This is one have been looking at - not sure if Amazon Canada has it:

Axess 24"

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I had no trouble finding a small (19") television with a USB port capable of using 12V. I did have to buy a 12v power cord as I recall (2013):

Insignia 24" Class (23.8" Diag.) - LED - 1080p - HDTV Black NS-24D420NA16 - Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia...&skuId=9215028
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
escape tv

We have a Westinghouse TV that runs on 12 VDC.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:24 AM   #6

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
I'm looking into this as well. It looks like the Naxa tv's sold on Amazon come 12v ready and require a separate cord for 110v. Most have a built in dvd player which I recall from the Casita Forum are not recommended due to durability issues from the bumps and grinds of towing. Wonder if they've gotten better.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
[QUOTE=steve dunham;124534]We must be marching to a different drummer. We are form following function people .The color / pattern of the flooring , counter tops ,window covering , graffics etc, etc are not a major concern to us . The ability of a trailer to function well without constant attention ,maintenance or repairs is our chief concern
If the trailer doesn't leak , everything works and we can go camping
than all is well with us . IMHO[/QUOTE
As many have observed, camping styles vary widely along with personal choices and abilities to haul extra goodies. Extended negative weather conditions or site challenges when just going home is not an option, often changes attitudes on creature comforts. A blue ray player on a cold
rainy evening after a hot meal cooked inside can be pretty enjoyable.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
We got a 19" Samsung TV that needs more than 12v. I have an old 60w inverter that plugs into the 12v outlet and it nicely powers the TV. I plug my laptop into the humidity port when needed.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I had a Jensen 12V TV which I recently took to the dump (well okay, electronics recycling). It basically fell apart as I was using it.

I replaced it with a Best Buy Insignia 24" TV. I looked at the small TVs in Best Buy and saw that this one had an external power supply with a 12V input to the TV. I think Insignia is Best Buy's house brand. It weighs half as much and costs half as much as the Jensen. I tried it out in my trailer a couple of days ago on 12V power and it works fine. I've used it at home for a few months now with no problems.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:20 PM   #10

Trailer: In the exploration phase for Escape trailers
Thanks for all of the great information. Looks like we don't have to get a specific 12 V TV as they are so expensive.
lips3345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:23 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I had a Jensen 12V TV which I recently took to the dump (well okay, electronics recycling). It basically fell apart as I was using it.

I replaced it with a Best Buy Insignia 24" TV. I looked at the small TVs in Best Buy and saw that this one had an external power supply with a 12V input to the TV. I think Insignia is Best Buy's house brand. It weighs half as much and costs half as much as the Jensen. I tried it out in my trailer a couple of days ago on 12V power and it works fine. I've used it at home for a few months now with no problems.
You use a 12V receptacle for that?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:29 PM   #12

The Insignia TV has a USB port as well, intended for a flash drive, and a couple of HDMI ports. Model number of the TV is NS-24D420NA16.

Although it has 1080p resolution I was disappointed with the Insignia's performance as a computer monitor. It isn't sharp enough, particularly when viewing text. If I can find a computer monitor that has a TV tuner and low-voltage input I'll replace it with that.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:43 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
While I can't comment on the suitability as a computer monitor, my 19" Insignia is fine as a television. Here is a pic of the rear where the 12V power cord is attached. The other end goes right into the 12V outlet (receptacle) in the trailer. The only thing I don't remember is if the power cord came with the television or if I had to buy one.
Attached Thumbnails
DC Television.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
You use a 12V receptacle for that?
Yes, in the trailer. The same 12V connector for the Jensen fit the Insignia. At home I use the Insignia's power supply which plugs into the wall.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Yes, in the trailer. The same 12V connector for the Jensen fit the Insignia. At home I use the Insignia's power supply which plugs into the wall.
I'm pretty sure you can find a 12V plug with a connector that will fit the TV. One of the remaining Radio Shacks may have one.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:09 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lips3345 View Post
Thanks for all of the great information. Looks like we don't have to get a specific 12 V TV as they are so expensive.
Thanks for starting the thread, as it turns out, I have two Insignia tv's (yeah, our 19 has 2 tv's!). We'll just move them over and get a couple extra 12v outlets.

Greg
Old 01-17-2016, 08:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:

Mike, could you give a few more details about your Jensen falling apart? We have a Jensen 24" TV that has given us good performance. We got it because we had a Jensen before that had worked well and I wasn't able to find another 12 volt 24" TV at the time. If I had to do it over again, I would probably go with the Insignia, but on the other hand the integration of the remote with both the TV and our Jensen Stereo is nice. I took a quick glance at ASA Electronics website and it appears they no longer offer a 24" TV. As a matter of fact, their offerings seem much more limited than they were a couple of years ago. I wonder if Jensen is getting out of the TV business?
Old 01-17-2016, 08:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Be cautious with TV's not made for plug in to 12 volt. My Samsung required 14 volts and runs on the Escape 12 volt power OK with a cord I got at Radio Shack. I got all kinds of hum and had to add a bunch of filters on input, output, etc. Finally got it to work but a pain. The Insignia may be fine, but try it out soon in case it does not work out. I had a Naxa designed for 12 volt in the Casita and it worked fine. I only had it one year and it was OK for that short time. Don't know about long term durability. I steered clear of the built in DVD, figuring a separate unit to be less likely to cause problems.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Mike, could you give a few more details about your Jensen falling apart?
Sure, I'll cheerfully take the opportunity to rant. I bought the TV before I picked up my trailer in April 2014.

- Not long after I got it the antenna connector broke loose from its mount and was loose in the chassis of the TV. I had to be careful with it from then on to avoid further damage.

- I thought the TV's reception was poor, but I had nothing to compare it with at the time so I really couldn't tell. The receiver seemed to be particularly susceptible to interference such as rain or (the worst) the wind blowing trees in line of sight of the TV station. I know this is a weakness of digital signals in general, but this TV seemed to be particularly bad. The Insignia does indeed have better reception.

- I bought Jensen's stand for the TV so I could sit it on the trailer's dinette table. Since the TV is top-heavy it was unstable. But being top heavy also put too much strain on the cheap stand, and one day it just broke and collapsed, hitting my MacBook Pro in the process. That was it for me-- then I decided to find an alternative TV before my next trip.

As always, I feel better after a good rant.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:40 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Thanks for starting the thread, as it turns out, I have two Insignia tv's (yeah, our 19 has 2 tv's!). We'll just move them over and get a couple extra 12v outlets.

Greg
We bought a 22 in insignia couple years ago on the recommendation of Gregg . Been very happy and nice color too. We only would buy Sony TV 's but didn't want to spend a lot for trailer just in case and just 135 . And great TV . It came with a stand too so sometimes move it around off th stand I should look and see if it is 12 volt . Never thought of that . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote