12v heat tape for tanks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2016, 07:21 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
12v heat tape for tanks

Okay, I did a search, came up with 47 different hits for "12v heat tape" and figured it was easier to just ask the questions in a separate thread. Apologies to anyone that doesn't agree.

ETI will install the 12v heat tape around the pipes. (I've not been quoted a price yet.) I don't know right now if we'll be using the trailer in really cold weather, but I'm trying to be prepared, just in case. One of my uses for the trailer will be vending at bazaars and such and it could be rather nippy at some of them. Anyway,

I seem to recall someone posting they had it done and it really helped at keeping the pipes from freezing. I'm assuming it needs to be wrapped around both the pipes leading to and from both tanks.

Any idea how much we'll need for the 21' trailer?

Is there a 12v outlet down there that it plugs in to? Kind of doubt it, but I really don't know the ins and outs of this stuff.

Is there any particular brand that would be better than another? I did a quick google search but will need to dig around deeper. I was hoping to get some good feedback from those that have used the stuff in the past through, either on their trailers or elsewhere.

Thanks much folks. This is about the last item I need to get finalized on our build sheet and then it can be turned in completed! YAY!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
I've always heard Raychem is the gold standard of heat tapes and I know it is used industrially but I have no personal experience with it.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
I've always heard Raychem is the gold standard of heat tapes and I know it is used industrially but I have no personal experience with it.
I have installed thousands of ft of Raychem heat tape .
They make a great self regulating heat tape that can be cut to any
length to fit the job. . Plus you can cross Raychem and it won't damage itself. The cost 20 years ago was $6 to $9 a foot plus the cost of terminal fittings . We bought the heat tape wholesale in guantities of 5000 ft so my price may be low.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
When looking for a heated wrap for my tractors fuel filter I noticed they also had a rubber type mat that was made to be secured to the bottom of oil pans or hydraulic tanks.

It's designed to be outdoors and would easily keep the water from freezing. I believe the company is called wolverine Heaters.

I ended up with one of there fuel filter heaters and it works great.
Slickheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:07 PM   #5

Trailer: Sold 2016 17B / looking for another
I'm doing addition of 12v heat tape on my 17B, just on the black tank "termination valve" (that's the terminology listed on my build sheet). The charge is $100 to install; I have to supply the heat tape. Again, this is a 17-footer and just at the black tank discharge. My understanding is the 21' Escape has some fresh water lines that might benefit from this extra measure of protection.

I just want to be able to dump tanks no matter what.

I'm open to suggestions as well, as to the product to use and how much to get. I need to get moving on this as my stuff needs to be at ETI by March 15th.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:16 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
According to the website ETI charges $200 to install the heat pads with the foam install. I had them on my 19' Escape. They can only be used while hooked to 120v because they draw a lot from the batteries. I felt, if I'm hooked up to 120v, I'll have enough heat inside the trailer to keep my tanks warm enough, as long as you get the foam package.