12v wire drop option for 17B - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2023, 04:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 17B
12v wire drop option for 17B

we are working on finishing our build sheet for our 17B. Did anyone option for 12V wire drops? and if so where/for what purpose? and if you didn't, do you wish you had?
Thanks!
Kim
peakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 04:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
They make add ins easier, but are not essential. I did not do any drops. I can find 12v and run it, but drops do make things easier if you really use them and get them where you want. Many of us can run and connect wiring better than ETI,.
Old 01-06-2023, 04:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Posted a reply on FB
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 05:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Some of the power runs up each of the 4 removable corner pads. If you are handy you can tap off of them for light duty stuff.
You might want a higher power point to run a 12 fan over your bed at night or to charge your phone up high when a cell signal is weak.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 06:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Some of the power runs up each of the 4 removable corner pads. If you are handy you can tap off of them for light duty stuff.
You might want a higher power point to run a 12 fan over your bed at night or to charge your phone up high when a cell signal is weak.
Yes, those corner battens make running power up or down very easy. Another area that makes it easy to run vertical wiring up to the overhead cabinets is by coming up the inside of the closet.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0046_resizerotated.jpg   IMGP0048_resizerotated.jpg   IMGP0051_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 06:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by peakay View Post
Did anyone option for 12V wire drops? and if so where/for what purpose?
I ordered three in our 21C. I have a bunch of extra electronics I plan to install in our trailer.
  1. We didn't order any TV or radio prep. Instead I have my own plans for such a system installed in the dinette area. So I ran a 12V drop to where the main units will be for my A/V system.
  2. I plan to put an Internet router above the "drawer stack", so I had another 12V power line terminate there. I might also put a ham radio there.
  3. I have another plan for several small devices on the side of the "cubbies" by the door, so I also ran a line there. This would be for things like a weather station and stuff related to "security". But I probably won't do that right away.

The 12Vdc drops are only 14GA wire on a 15A fuse. I might eventually have to re-run heavier cable for at least one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakay View Post
and if you didn't, do you wish you had?
They haven't started construction yet on our trailer, so it's too soon to tell.
SteveSgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 09:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I ordered 12V drops in all upper cabinets. Used them to add interior lighting for the cabinets making it easier to find things in the dark.

Over the years, I have made wire runs from one end of the trailer to another, both in the upper & lower cabinets and while many were "interesting", there is no reason a somewhat handy person could not add wiring to a finished trailer.
Old 01-07-2023, 11:39 AM   #8

Trailer: 2021 5.0
I also ordered the wire drops, makes things easier.
I make the mistake of assuming the wire drop option would be on their own separate fuse, its not.
Couldn’t hurt to ask if they could do this for you, it seems there is room on the panel.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 12:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSgt View Post
[*]I plan to put an Internet router above the "drawer stack", so I had another 12V power line terminate there. I might also put a ham radio there.

The 12Vdc drops are only 14GA wire on a 15A fuse. I might eventually have to re-run heavier cable for at least one of those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post

Over the years, I have made wire runs from one end of the trailer to another, both in the upper & lower cabinets and while many were "interesting", there is no reason a somewhat handy person could not add wiring to a finished trailer.
Jon's correct, there's always a way of running needed wires and some of the routes are interesting.

If you need a heavier gage wire for a ham radio in the drawer stack area the route would be from the panel, along behind the lower cupboards and up through the floor of the closet beside the vent hose. That's the route I used to add a circuit for my TV.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote