17A choices and why - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2014, 08:27 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Tough call and some tough decisions. But also YOUR budget.

If I have one suggestion... it's to NOT plan your future around your past. We've all been there and repeating makes no new memories.

There is no crystal ball (otherwise I'd know the winning lottery numbers!), but I planned Ten Forward for my "unknown." I didn't want to deny myself an experience because the weather wasn't going to be good (cooking outside?), or a particular campground required FSC (no potta potties allowed), etc., etc., etc.

Deciding items on a build sheet is stressful. But, if you're already spending BUCKS for an asset, make certain you're not shorting yourself and your future.

I laugh when folks talk about issues with gray and black water tanks. Including emptying and winterizing? Really, like THAT's a problem? Not for me and I've never hooked up to go empty. It's called a TOTE and you can build one for less than $20.

Lastly, no one can miss what they've never had. I've HAD and I'll never go back. YMMV.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
This refers to connecting the trailer's sewer to the campground's. Can't see how that would apply to the discussion here but I'm going to give in and concede that everyone should have a shower and toilet in their trailer and let it go at that.
I'll never surrender/concede: I guess I'll have to carry my Plumbing Codebook with me to establish a defensible position, and not use the sink at Those campgrounds.

Seriously, I had never encountered an issue when we used the tent trailer. Grey water is dealt with quite differently than sewage by Code. We will, however, use a closed container with an appropriate fitting.

Keep up the good fight, Karen.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:37 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
At almost age 66, I'm not dragging a tote or carrying a five gallon pail.
Ten years from now, it's even less likely I would do that.
It's something to consider. You're not going to get any younger.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
For what it's worth, ETI will build a 19A, you just have to ask. Mine will be done around Christmas.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'd rather throw an empty $20 tote in the back of my truck (and not need it) than disconnect Ten Forward and hookup to my tug to empty at some dump station. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Sure, but do you really want the bikes on the trailer? It is a small modification that is better done at the factory than later; on the other hand, some people find they're better on the tug roof, for better trailer stability, for smoother ride for the bikes, and so the bikes go with them when they leave the campsite to get to trailhead.

Not questioning this choice, but just curious for context: what is your current thinking on what the tow vehicle will be? In an earlier discussion you mentioned a Highlander, but not many people buy those in 2WD...

We have a "Dometic" branded microwave oven in our motorhome. It died and was replaced under warranty, so I do get the logic, but I don't think it's any different from home appliances, other than the availability of the mounting bezel (which is significant). Ours was made by LG, and everything visible - other than the bezel - is normal cheap household stuff. At the price I agree with the choice... just don't expect "ruggedized".

At $130 it looks expensive, but if you change your mind later and buy the connector parts and do the installation I think the ETI price will start to look very reasonable. You can do it yourself later, so if unsure of the value I agree that it makes sense to leave it out... I'm just saying if you haven't seen the parts prices you might not appreciate the value.
Thank for responding, Brian.
We are now discussing bike transport options. We like your stated reasons for tug roof transport.

Our tow vehicle research shows that 2WD/FWD may be what is the available deal, and, depending on the mfr's specs., may work. We have 6 months or so of research and deal searching. Or, we may end up with 4WD because of what is available.

Good tip on the Dometic appliance.

I'll be going back and researching the detachable cord possibilities again, to verify costs. It's just that spending money when I don't see the value always bugs me.

Thanks, again, for responding. We value your input, and indeed, the input of all the members of this forum. Thank you all.

Don & Teresa
Old 11-25-2014, 12:31 AM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Yes, the ordinary "P" traps look like a "P" but mine looks more like filled-in "P"--sort of a "P" with a bowl. Didn't know if it was still called the same.
Ah, right, the three-dimensional P... about the same idea, but compact. With no photo, I didn't realize that was the type used. It's a trap, anyway, if maybe not a "P-trap".

A typical example is the Camco 37262; that seems to be just called a "drain trap".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:34 AM   #28

Quote:
This refers to connecting the trailer's sewer to the campground's. Can't see how that would apply to the discussion here but I'm going to give in and concede that everyone should have a shower and toilet in their trailer and let it go at that.
I would personally want the toilet, but I wouldn't accept that everyone needs one!
I agree that the donut doesn't apply to the proposed Escape 17A configuration, but the requirement for a sealed connection does - that's why I'm suggesting a fitting on the container (bucket with lid) to which the hose from the trailer is attached, so it's not open.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:36 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Good point... and the reason that I suggested wheels for the tote (whether now or years later).
Old 11-25-2014, 01:07 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post

I'll be going back and researching the detachable cord possibilities again, to verify costs. It's just that spending money when I don't see the value always bugs me.

Don & Teresa
I converted my Scamp to a detachable power cord. It wasn't cheap to do, probably about half the cost of an installed one and it took a bit of time.

For my 19 I just ordered it with the detachable cord. So much better than pushing a muddy cord back inside the trailer. If mine's still a bit wet and muddy it goes in the box with other wet outdoor stuff.

The purpose of a sink trap is to prevent sewer gas back ups. If the sink drain is going outside to a bucket no trap is necessary.

As Donna mentioned, it's better to have a more sealed container than a bucket and both of us have made homemade ones that can be carried to places to dump. Commercial totes tend to be a little on the large size. Mine's 5 gal. and easy to carry.

And lastly, no matter where you end up carrying your bikes it's worthwhile having the receiver put on. It can be used for other things. Easier now than having it welded on afterwards.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
26-06-2014 9-08-16 AM1_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:23 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Don and Teresa, I don't know how you get sleeping space in a 17' for four adults so perhaps that necessitates having no bathroom.

You sound though, as if you are not getting a bathroom because you think it would be more trouble to have one. I assure you from seeing your comments that the trouble is with not having one. Agree with Donna that you may be shorting yourself and future when spending the bucks.

We also have rarely been to a campground, as ModJim mentions, that did not prohibit dumping of gray water and have seen some places that require self-contained units.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #32

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
Very good choices.I had a 15A,i went with the raised axle[15"tires]vs the14" std.tires.A couple of reasons,pull vechile has 18"tires. 4" difference meant god only no's,trailer tires were revolving at 150mph+,while the tow vechile was doing 70mph.I tend to boondock ,off the beaten path,grnd.clearance.I had a tree branch,hook my wiring,underneath pulled it out.My new 21[March 2015] has a note to Reace not to use nylon pull straps to support my wiring.I travel alot of gravel roads,a rock hit's that plastic,wires are in trouble of dragging.
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:30 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
We also have rarely been to a campground, as ModJim mentions, that did not prohibit dumping of gray water and have seen some places that require self-contained units.
What in the world do tent campers do with their gray (dish) water or are they not allowed as they're not self-contained?
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:35 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
What in the world do tent campers do with their gray (dish) water?
I have two brothers with tent trailers, and they do their dishes in a dish pan outside, and just toss the water into the bushes(other than at campgrounds), the same as us.

They do have the same outlet for a garden hose to drain from the sink to a portable container, should the wash in the sink inside. The same setup that most small trailer without black tanks employ.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I think the reference must be to commercial RV places as those prohibitions would preclude tent camping. I learned years and years ago that there is a world of difference between camping and RVing.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:49 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I learned years and years ago that there is a world of difference between camping and RVing.
To me they are exactly the same thing, just done differently. We camp with folks in tents, tent trailers, fiberglass trailers, big stick trailers, and motor homes. We all doing it for the same reasons, and get pretty much the same enjoyment out of it, while doing exactly the same things. The difference is just with level of luxury inside whatever our temporary home may be.

And I be living in the lap of luxury camping in my Escape trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #37

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Hmmmm...this is interesting...um ...we don't actually have any tanks . Winterizing involves blowing out the water line screwing off the trap cap to drian - and done ! We almost always take full hook-ups and just drain into the sewer hook- up via the hose drain . No issues with the porta-potty . We also have a smaller ac/dc fridge ( that has always worked even in some scorching heat ) because it allowed for more floor space with turned out perfect for us . We are very comfortable in our 15A , would not change a thing . We are 68 and 73 if it ever gets too much trouble it'll likely be time to quite ( not any time soon ) . We have had a trailer with toilets and tanks in the past , not missing anything . Not worried about resale ....one of our off-spring will inherit ! ��
Old 11-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #38

17A layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Don and Teresa, I don't know how you get sleeping space in a 17' for four adults so perhaps that necessitates having no bathroom.

You sound though, as if you are not getting a bathroom because you think it would be more trouble to have one. I assure you from seeing your comments that the trouble is with not having one. Agree with Donna that you may be shorting yourself and future when spending the bucks.

Cathy,
If you look at the 17A layout on ETI's website, it shows a permanent queen bed in the front, and the dinette in the rear converts to sleeping for two.
Yes, I now see the need to have a sealed connection from my drain to the (sealed) bucket or tote. And wheels are always good to keep weight off the spine, so we'll get a tote, most likely.
In my experience, any campground that has a black water dump station will accept grey water as well.
Regarding the choice of 17A vs. B (w/the bath), this is something we had ruminated over extensively, and the 17A, by far, meets our criteria in trailer functions and features. Thanks for the comments; that's why we posted, so we don't shortchange our decision-making.
Don & Teresa
Old 11-25-2014, 10:21 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
Hmmmm...this is interesting...um ...we don't actually have any tanks . Winterizing involves blowing out the water line screwing off the trap cap to drian - and done ! We almost always take full hook-ups and just drain into the sewer hook- up via the hose drain . No issues with the porta-potty . We also have a smaller ac/dc fridge ( that has always worked even in some scorching heat ) because it allowed for more floor space with turned out perfect for us . We are very comfortable in our 15A , would not change a thing . We are 68 and 73 if it ever gets too much trouble it'll likely be time to quite ( not any time soon ) . We have had a trailer with toilets and tanks in the past , not missing anything . Not worried about resale ....one of our off-spring will inherit ! ��

Thanks for the confirmation. Our ages are very similar, and our thought process as well: when we get to where we can't do this anymore, the trailer goes to our kids. That's one reason we selected Escape: their quality of construction. We expect the 17A to last well into the next generation or two of our family.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #40

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Originally Posted by gbaglo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Good point... and the reason that I suggested wheels for the tote (whether now or years later).
Agree with Glen. Also, Brian, as you get older I don't think the wheels are that helpful. Water is heavy!!! Your needs change, plan ahead. We had folding bikes that we carried on the roof of the TV. It was more difficult each year to get them up and down. They now ride unfolded on the bike rack on the rear of the Escape - much easier!! We, personally, didn't want to be getting up and going out at night so we love having a bathroom. And, nothing like a hot shower when your in a primitive campground after a day of hiking, biking.

Good luck on your choices. Whatever gets you out camping can't be all bad.

Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote