17B build sheet, any advice for a family of 4? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2021, 12:05 AM   #81

Trailer: Escape 17B 2021
And some more
Attached Thumbnails
Bunk_Sofa.jpeg   Bunk_Sofa_CushionsMoved.jpeg   Bunk_Sofa2.jpeg  
dosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:26 PM   #82

Well, we had our first trip this past weekend, to Wenatchee Confluence state park!
Full hookup for the starters, lots of great restaurants within a short bike ride, but will camp without hookups Memorial weekend.
Still lots of things to buy/improve, but everything we used worked great.

Some thoughts:
- fridge was running on gas while traveling just fine, auto-switching to AC with shore power
- the fridge is surprisingly spacious - we didn't cook much during the day and only ate half of it, for breakfast, but could have easily survived on one fridge load the whole weekend boondocking
- measured power consumption with kill-a-watt at 7kW for 24 hrs, my guess is it was mostly fridge, but we also used tea kettle and instant pot for breakfast, microwave for reheating, and electric water heater. All were running via 20A outlet ok
- external shower outlet - very helpful with kids and just for rinsing stuff outside
- grey tank lasted us 2 days, with daily showers - we washed kids outside though
- both kettle and IP power cords were too short to reach the outlets under the counter extension, I am thinking of either just using cord extensions or installing an undercounter pop-up power outlet behind the faucet
- upper bunk turned out to be quite stiff, need to put some extra layer, either foam or inflatable camping pad
- the 20' sewer tube that ETI provides is very long, not a big problem though
- exterior access hatch is very helpful, for water hose and all sorts of hoses and adapters, stabilizer jacks, etc.
- storage box very useful for long things like camping chairs, beach umbrella, kids beach toys, etc.
- didn't miss captain reading lights at all, had no time to read except checking phone messages/emails
- bike rack worked fine in the back of the trailer, just for 2 regular non-electric bikes
- a tiny bathroom sink is barely useful for anything except washing hands, we brushed teeth and washed kids faces in the kitchen sink
- lots of free space in the cabinets and under the benches - we didn't use all of it, but it was just a weekend trip and we spent almost all our time outside
- we didn't use the awning b/c out site was in the shade

So, still a lot of features/options to try. Will be camping at Alta lake Memorial weekend, w/t shore power, on the slope barely fitting the 17', but with fresh water faucet nearby (<50ft) for filling the tank. It will surely be a different experience.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:38 PM   #83

BTW, our tow vehicle was BMW X1, AWD with primary rear-drive, and it did great. Rated for 4,400 lbs, it didn't struggle in the mountain passes (max 3k RPM uphill at 60mph), overall MPG was ~18 for the whole trip, ~1.5x less than normal. On the highway, we went up to 80mph on flat stretches.
The whole setup felt very stable, too, b/c of vehicle's long base. Electric brakes with Tekonsha helped, too. We didn't buy/use equalizer hitch, and I don't see any need now.
We gonna put a couple of kayaks on the vehicle roof next time. I also need to find the tongue scales I bought a couple of months ago This time, we just put more heavy stuff in the front to offset the bicycles in the back.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:35 PM   #84

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosby View Post
BTW, our tow vehicle was BMW X1, AWD with primary rear-drive, and it did great. Rated for 4,400 lbs, it didn't struggle in the mountain passes (max 3k RPM uphill at 60mph), overall MPG was ~18 for the whole trip, ~1.5x less than normal. On the highway, we went up to 80mph on flat stretches.
The whole setup felt very stable, too, b/c of vehicle's long base. Electric brakes with Tekonsha helped, too. We didn't buy/use equalizer hitch, and I don't see any need now.
Nice to hear. I've had mine for six months but am about to do the first mountain driving with it and the Ridgeline (the Ridgeline has done Snoqualmie with the 15 but then, my Forester did that just fine.). The 17b is probably about 800 lbs more but wheels 2 feet further back.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:59 PM   #85

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
- both kettle and IP power cords were too short to reach the outlets under the counter extension, I am thinking of either just using cord extensions or installing an undercounter pop-up power outlet behind the faucet
A few of us have done a pop-up outlet
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...cle-10716.html
Old 05-18-2021, 09:11 AM   #86

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I asked for an outlet above the range hood. In my 17 it is above the panel where the tank/battery indicator is. I wish it was standard, and that I had thought to ask for it below the other panel.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:47 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
I asked for an outlet above the range hood. In my 17 it is above the panel where the tank/battery indicator is. I wish it was standard, and that I had thought to ask for it below the other panel.
I think, on a 17, the ideal outlet location would be right in the bottom of the hood, so the cords could just hang down from it. It might become a fire hazard, though, but I cannot imagine anyone using both cooktop and IP/kettle at the same time.

The space behind the faucet or between the faucet and the cooktop along the backsplash, under the sink, is perfect for hiding a pop-up outlets - it's completely useless for storage.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:05 AM   #88

If anyone is interested, I measured some of 17B's interior dimensions:

Wardrobe: 17.5”w 34”h opening sitting 2.75”h off the floor, 20-3/4”w 39”h inside (I am planning to install some pull-out wire shelves

Bunk beds: Upper 28”w 73”l window to window, 18-19” head clearance, 30” middle clearance, Lower 29.5”w 74.5”l, 17.5” head clearance to the rails. (At 6'1", I was not very comfortable sleeping on the upper bunk, lengthwise, will need to put sort of foam roll at the edge so that we could switch places with my son)

Main bed 51.5”w by 74.5”l (This would have been great for sleeping all by myself, haha)

Upper bunk padding 2.5” thick, lower and main 4” thick (adds to the upper bunk inconvenience )

Shower floor 21" by 21" (will be buying some thin floor mat)

Sink 10”w (this will decide which plates, pots, and pans to use inside)
Old 05-19-2021, 10:10 AM   #89

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
wardrobe in the 17a (elfa from container store)

you can see the outlet to the left.
Attached Thumbnails
elfa shelves 17A.jpeg  
Old 05-19-2021, 07:38 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
wardrobe in the 17a (elfa from container store)
nice! it beats the lonely hanging rod
we tried overhead cabinets for clothing for now and it's not very convenient
Old 06-01-2021, 06:53 PM   #91

Well, we just had our second trip with our new 17B, 4 days long and without hookups, at Alta lake state park.
- We had a really sloped spot, so I had to use all my 10 yellow lego blocks to level the trailer side to side. I also lowered the jack all the way down to level the trailer front to back. And the stabilizer jacks were way too short
- I was also hoping to fill the fresh water tank with my 100' hose (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08RZ16ZSH), but that didn't work because the faucet was not threaded And my "inflatable" compact hose didn't inflate under low pressure Now I am thinking of cutting a piece of 3/4" garden hose and clamping it on bare end with another end male-threaded. I think it should work, b/c that faucet was almost exactly 3/4" OD. I had to hand-carry water with 1 gallon containers
- Black water tank surprisingly held for all 4 days - we flushed sparingly.
- Gray water tank filled up in about 2 days, after which we switched to outside faucet/external shower, worked pretty well in 70-90F weather.
- Our solar/battery did exceptionally well and never went below 3/4, even though we used microwave couple times a day for reheating. We were in partial shade.
- Lower bunk bed turned out to be much more comfortable than the upper one. Longer and softer, but did require some bending and twisting getting in/out. I am 6'1" and ~180 lbs.
- For the upper bunk, we bought a foam roller (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYO2GNU) so our 6 y.o. son would not fall down. And strapped it with velcro (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G4IVN4S) around the narrow bed piece. It worked pretty well.

Some other stuff we bought:
- 21"x21" shower mat - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZYC84F1 (I was surprised that it perfectly matched the 17B floor area)
- plastic bread box - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WQF6K87
- sticky mirror to check propane level - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BJ7PXS7 (I attached it to the -underside of the propane tanks cover, and can easily see green/red now)
- silverware organizer for our 6" wide drawer - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NCH9F5X
- step stool - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TIWF2CW (turned out to be very useful while camping, and not just for kids)
- portable table grill - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F3BHB80 - I am planning to convert this one to quick-connect, it has a detachable regulator that reduces almost exactly to the trailer's low pressure. We will see.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2300.jpg   IMG_2306.jpg   IMG_2307.jpg  
Old 06-01-2021, 07:05 PM   #92
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
- I was also hoping to fill the fresh water tank with my 100' hose (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08RZ16ZSH), but that didn't work because the faucet was not threaded And my "inflatable" compact hose didn't inflate under low pressure Now I am thinking of cutting a piece of 3/4" garden hose and clamping it on bare end with another end male-threaded. I think it should work, b/c that faucet was almost exactly 3/4" OD.
Unless you've got a hose you can spare by cutting it up, you need to purchase a Water Thief/Water Bandit. That and a hose clamp, you're good to go. Honestly, the cheapest I've found it was at Camping World, about half the price of Amazon or WalMart.

https://www.campingworld.com/water-b...14-102162.html
Attached Thumbnails
WaterThief-Bandit.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:55 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Unless you've got a hose you can spare by cutting it up, you need to purchase a Water Thief/Water Bandit. That and a hose clamp, you're good to go. Honestly, the cheapest I've found it was at Camping World, about half the price of Amazon or WalMart.

https://www.campingworld.com/water-b...14-102162.html
oh, that's a good price, thanks,
the closest store is 30 miles away, though, in Tacoma...
The reviews are saying this adapter is not sturdy under pressure, so I am wondering if a regular garden hose would hold up better. I do have a spare piece.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:11 PM   #94
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
oh, that's a good price, thanks,
the closest store is 30 miles away, though, in Tacoma...
The reviews are saying this adapter is not sturdy under pressure, so I am wondering if a regular garden hose would hold up better. I do have a spare piece.
If you have a hose, then try it. The only time I had a problem with using the thief, is when I didn't use a hose clamp. I noticed in the reviews, using a hose clamp is recommended.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:19 PM   #95

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
- I was also hoping to fill the fresh water tank with my 100' hose (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08RZ16ZSH), but that didn't work because the faucet was not threaded And my "inflatable" compact hose didn't inflate under low pressure Now I am thinking of cutting a piece of 3/4" garden hose and clamping it on bare end with another end male-threaded. I think it should work, b/c that faucet was almost exactly 3/4" OD. I had to hand-carry water with 1 gallon containers
I have found those expanding hoses have too much resistance. Maybe ok at home watering flowers but not very good for camping. Sometimes you need to be ready to pivot and a larger container and transfer pump work wonders. I made one out of a working 12V Shurflo pump and it’s really handy. Just used it this weekend. Three trips to the spigot and the tank was full.
Attached Thumbnails
841208E3-905D-4E15-B908-33AF5943D4A0.jpg  
Old 06-01-2021, 09:42 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I have found those expanding hoses have too much resistance. Maybe ok at home watering flowers but not very good for camping. Sometimes you need to be ready to pivot and a larger container and transfer pump work wonders. I made one out of a working 12V Shurflo pump and it’s really handy. Just used it this weekend. Three trips to the spigot and the tank was full.
Yep, that is my impression, too, they have too much resistance
I have a similar 7 gallon canister but didn't take it with me. Could have been 3-4 trips instead of 26, yes, and no 100ft limit on distance
I am not gonna buy a pump just yet, our next two trips are full hookups
Old 07-15-2021, 12:31 PM   #97

With bicycles, tongue weight is ~400-500 lbs
And, I try to put all heavy items in the very back, too - mostly kitchen stuff, food, grill, etc.
With the front box and bunk beds, not sure if 350/400 lbs tongue weight is possible without the bicycles. The front box would need to be empty, nothing in the wardrobe and under the front benches.
I have one lithium battery, that's also minus ~40 lbs from the back compared to one standard and minus much more lbs compared to dual 6V. I think I need to install one more battery
Attached Thumbnails
loaded car & trailer.jpg  
Old 07-15-2021, 04:52 PM   #98

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Wait, you have to carry and store stabilizer jacks? On my 2015 17B they are attached and crank into position. Have those become non-standard?
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 04:55 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post
Wait, you have to carry and store stabilizer jacks? On my 2015 17B they are attached and crank into position. Have those become non-standard?
Found them on our recent trip and used them - very convenient!
I guess I need to look under the trailer more often
Old 07-15-2021, 04:57 PM   #100

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Quote:
Found them on our recent trip and used them - very convenient!
I guess I need to look under the trailer more often
Glad that worked out! They might still have been too short for that one camping site you had!
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote