17B fridge choice and option choices - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2022, 08:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 17B
17B fridge choice and option choices

We are completing our build sheet for a 17B with the permanent bed option and are struggling with deciding between the 3cf fridge and the 4cf. There is lost aisle space when upgrading to the 4cf and we'd love to hear from any 17b owners who have chosen the 4cf fridge and whether you feel crowded in the aisle area or not. Does the larger fridge and more storage, outweigh the lost aisle room? Those with the 3cf choice, do you find it big enough for your camping needs? We'd especially love to hear from those who have chosen the permanent bed option!
And all 17B owners, is there anything you didn't add to your trailer that you now wish you had or any option you got but now feel you don't need? Thank you for any input!
peakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 09:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 19'
Previous trailer was the 17 w 3cf frig. Would strongly endorse as big a frig as you can get. Especially for long trips in the middle of no where. I now have a 19 with the 6cf & feel very lucky. Can store food for those long trips.
Old 12-29-2022, 10:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
More people have upgraded (or wish they could/had) from a 17 to a 19 or 21. Have you been inside the 17B?
Old 12-29-2022, 10:56 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape
Attitudes toward refrigerator size will be like attitudes toward the front storage box…if you don’t have it you don’t miss it, and if you have it you can’t get along without it. I have the 3 cu ft model and it has been perfectly adequate for me. It hasn’t been the limiting factor on how long I can stay out.

That being said, I don’t take up space making ice cubes or storing bulky ice cream containers in the freezer.I can freeze enough meat and leftovers to last several weeks. I usually don’t devote space to chill beverages, plastic water bottles, etc. I don’t use large containers, like gallons of milk because as the the contents are consumed the containers turn into dead space. So, I make some adjustments that others might find unsatisfactory.

You can do well with the smaller fridge, and after years of tent camping with a cooler the small fridge still feels like a luxury. But, if your plan is more than “camping” and more like “home” get the larger refrigerator. I do not have a 17; nor have I been in one, so I can’t comment on aisle space.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 11:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Our first Escaoe was a slightly used 17B. We committed sight unseen as it was the largest Escape we could tow with our TV at that time. It was claustrophobic to me at first and never got over it.

One of the biggest mistakes choosing a trailer is suiting it to your present TV.
Old 12-29-2022, 11:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
We are fans of the biggest fridge we can get up to 6cu ft or so. We like lots of fresh stuff, and don’t want to go to the store often.

We can live without fresh food, but prefer not to do so.

Even our Bigfoot 9.6 pickup camper had a 6 cuft fridge. Anything less than 5 cuft and without a separate fridge and freezer door would have us seriously considering a different RV.

We can live for months at a time out of a backpack, or for years in the Alaskan bush, but prefer a real fridge.

Many others are happy with no refrigeration or an ice chest.

If we traveled a couple of weeks or less at a time, we might not care about a fridge, but we typically go months at a time.

So this question can really only be answered by you and what you see as your preferences.
Old 12-29-2022, 11:27 PM   #7
GPS

Trailer: 17A 2021
Im a proud 17 owner and find the 3 ft fridge more than adequate. As said it all depends on who you are. We have never run out of space, or otherwise needed more for our family of 4. But we do keep the majority of beers n kids drink in a cooler.
GPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 11:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B “Kiwi Egg”
Love our 17B (2 adults 1 kid), personally glad we got the 4cf. You do lose a couple inches aisle width, but not noticeable (it’s one person width no matter what). Fridge is full every trip (but that does include the beer and other beverages).
JohnBrendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 06:16 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by peakay View Post
We are completing our build sheet for a 17B with the permanent bed option and are struggling with deciding between the 3cf fridge and the 4cf. There is lost aisle space when upgrading to the 4cf and we'd love to hear from any 17b owners who have chosen the 4cf fridge and whether you feel crowded in the aisle area or not. Does the larger fridge and more storage, outweigh the lost aisle room? Those with the 3cf choice, do you find it big enough for your camping needs? We'd especially love to hear from those who have chosen the permanent bed option!
And all 17B owners, is there anything you didn't add to your trailer that you now wish you had or any option you got but now feel you don't need? Thank you for any input!
I absolutely love the larger fridge and would not go back Yes, you do lose a bit of width, but I have plenty of room and I'm a large woman. The larger fridge is much more useful than the smaller one (which I had in my 15.) I used to have to bring an extra cooler on long trips- no more.

I have a semi-permanent bed (may not be an option as I did it). I have a dinette setup but no table support installed and no dinette cushions. I put my own squishy mattress in (a non-squishy full-sized mattress would not fit so you would still need theirs) I use it as a permanent bed but I like the space under it for my dogs separated from the under-seat storage.

Options- I'd have left off the AC and added a different one. You'll see posts about people changing the Dometic out.

I'd have had awning windows for the tiny ones in bath, kitchen, and front, if it is an option. Sliders everywhere else. It's just hard to work a tiny slider.

Generally I'm pretty happy with my choices though. I did not get the storage box but now have an aftermarket one that I like. (I just don't really like the look of the Escape box.) I got the backup camera and use it some and am glad i have it but don't use it a lot. A bumper-mount backup camera would be more useful for backing. I have an outside shower, driver's side. No quick-connect as I already owned extra half-size propane bottles. Manual jack.

I got the keyless entry but would opt out of that and buy one from RV Lock as they are far superior. Pretty easy to install.

I put an extra grab bar on the refrigerator wall. It's easier when exiting to not have to reach around outside to find the outside bar.

Oh, I would have reinforced the front side bathroom wall if I'd been smart. And probably gotten the bunk option because I rarely use the space for sitting and the bunk would have been handy for storage.

If you are on the fence and it can be added later- don't get it. If on the fence and it can't easily be changed later- do it.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 06:22 AM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
More people have upgraded (or wish they could/had) from a 17 to a 19 or 21. Have you been inside the 17B?
Good point. A 19 offers a lot more space. I did not opt for one because I park in a small garage and don't need the extra width or length when trying to back in. But for that I might have.

On the other hand, lots of people manage great with a 17b, especially young families and singles. You can always sell it and move up later. I rarely cook inside mine but do heat things in the microwave and make coffee.

Oh, almost forgot above- solar. Definitely solar. I don't have an inverter as I mostly want it to keep the batteries charged when I don't have hookups and can do without always having the microwave available. But not having to worry about the battery is great.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 11:51 AM   #11
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
We have a 2022 17A, permanent bed in front and 4cf fridge. Our previous trailer, had a 3cf fridge. The 4cf seems much bigger and allows us to boondock for longer without needing to resupply so often. As a few others have mentioned, the galley area is pretty small in the 17 so that lost space isn't even noticed.
SRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 12:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Yes we've been in the 17B and the 19. We're moving from 30 years of tent camping and the 17B better fits our needs and wallet at this time.
Old 12-30-2022, 01:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 17B
Quote:
Yes we've been in the 17B and the 19. We're moving from 30 years of tent camping and the 17B better fits our needs and wallet at this time.

Like you, many years ago we went up from tent camping to a 13ft Team Trillium trailer which we loved (9yrs) which had a 3cu. ft electric fridge and toilet. For longer stays we wanted something larger (especially the bed and fridge) for longer trips and stays.

We got a fully optioned 17B with the 4cu.ft fridge and would've gotten a larger fridge if it fitted. We never regretted it and use it regularly for 2 month getaways. Yes it is slightly cramped around fridge area, but of no concern to us.

As opposed to many, we extensively use the cook-top due to my wife's serious food allergies. BTW we don't even have a microwave as it would be of little use (can't use 95% of frozen meals). We us the extra space to store kitchen utensils and the like.

We like the 2 tables setup, the front one used as a "desk" with underneath and one of the benches as a storage area for our "outdoor" stuff. I did put in a Springfield pedestal for the back table for ease of bed making (yes, I setup the bed every day, no big deal).

We got the 17B for the toilet really. But with the covid stuff we had to use the built-in shower sometimes. Hey it's great, easy to dry up with a squeegee and a micro-fibre rag. I did trim down the curtain so it would fit without dragging on the floor, and changed the shower hose with a much more flexible one.

We love it, and it is our last trailer
bitsnbytes131055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 02:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsnbytes131055 View Post
Like you, many years ago we went up from tent camping to a 13ft Team Trillium trailer which we loved (9yrs) which had a 3cu. ft electric fridge and toilet. For longer stays we wanted something larger (especially the bed and fridge) for longer trips and stays.

We got a fully optioned 17B with the 4cu.ft fridge and would've gotten a larger fridge if it fitted. We never regretted it and use it regularly for 2 month getaways. Yes it is slightly cramped around fridge area, but of no concern to us.

As opposed to many, we extensively use the cook-top due to my wife's serious food allergies. BTW we don't even have a microwave as it would be of little use (can't use 95% of frozen meals). We us the extra space to store kitchen utensils and the like.

We like the 2 tables setup, the front one used as a "desk" with underneath and one of the benches as a storage area for our "outdoor" stuff. I did put in a Springfield pedestal for the back table for ease of bed making (yes, I setup the bed every day, no big deal).

We got the 17B for the toilet really. But with the covid stuff we had to use the built-in shower sometimes. Hey it's great, easy to dry up with a squeegee and a micro-fibre rag. I did trim down the curtain so it would fit without dragging on the floor, and changed the shower hose with a much more flexible one.

We love it, and it is our last trailer
Thank you for the feedback bitsnbytes! Your response makes me more comfortable with our choices currently. We are really just looking for a permanent bed and a bathroom as we get older and upgrade from a tent! No microwave or tv and the fridge will be a luxury to not have to pack a cooler and buy ice every other day. we were concerned about the fridge area being too cramped with the 4cf fridge but reminded ourselves, after reading everyone's responses, that we don't plan on "living" in the camper and can deal with it being a little tight when we're inside due to bad weather. And as many have done, if some years down the road we find we're doing more living in it then we upgrade. Thanks again!
Old 01-02-2023, 07:02 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
We picked up our 17B in June 2019 and have used it quite a bit. We have done a few trips longer than a month. It’s just two of us and a small dog.
We ordered the full time bed, large refrigerator, we don’t find it tight. We have lived on small sailboats so knew we were fine in small spaces. We mostly live outside, cook outside.
We ordered the manual awning because it’s stronger, works well in heavy rain. We cook under it if it rains. We also travel with a Clam Shelter.
We did not get the microwave. We did get the AC, mostly for the dog if we had to leave him inside, that’s never been done so ?
We got the solar option, no inverter, detachable power cord. Additional rear taillights for safety. Front storage box we like, very useful. The outside shower is worth it, we sometimes wash dishes out there.
The smaller trailer has a few advantages, we can get into some difficult campsites a bigger trailer can not. We arrived late, dark, rain, at a campground that was full. We were given a tent site because of our size.
Everything in life is a compromise each has advantages and disadvantages.
Tow small, live big !
Enjoy your new trailer, Bob
Attached Thumbnails
C76B2A97-1527-4478-839C-8C207FB52B9D.jpg   7B7AB89E-2E18-4881-9A6C-1BA57ACC4955.jpg   1288D43C-B12A-482E-9512-D9A7609AD343.jpg   4968B876-38B9-45FD-BE31-ADFD79705CC1.jpg  
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 10:02 AM   #16

thank you Lanark Camper for your reply! I'm feeling much more comfortable about our choices now! we also plan on doing most of our living outdoors and it sounds like we have chosen most of the same options as you. Where is the campsite on the water that you included in the pictures? Looks like a beautiful spot! Thanks again and Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-2023, 12:57 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
Happy New Year back !

That campsite is on the St Lawrence River, looking across at NY State. It in Glengarry Park. The Paks Commission run a number of parks on spoil islands made when the S Lawrence Sea Way was built. We like the sites on the water, they have no services so the solar option works well to grab those. Great to launch a kayak right in front of the trailer. Well groomed grounds, great staff, many birds, no bugs ?
Web site, https://www.stlawrenceparks.com/

I’m sure you will enjoy your 17B as much as we enjoy ours.

Let me know if you make it up here, we may be in the area. We have ferry reservations for Newfoundland mid-June to mid-July.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
F77C3DB8-877D-4494-90B9-5B553CC07B90.jpg  
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 04:30 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17B / 2021Toyota 4Runner
Hi Peakay. My wife and I took delivery of a 17B this past Feb. We have camped in it a lot since then, including a 7 week run from San Diego to Bellingham WA and back. I highly recommend the 4 cubic foot refrigerator upgrade. As someone pointed out, the freezer compartment holds an upright pint of ice cream. That alone is a game changer. I was also worried about the idea of the refrigerator encroaching into the isle space, but it is not a problem whatsoever for us (two average build adults and a 65 lb dog). As I understand it, the 3 cubic ft fridge sticks out almost as much, but the front panel is curved. I'm pretty sure you will be much happier with the 4 cubic foot fridge. Go for it.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 12:08 PM   #19

Trailer: 17B in the works
17B Priorities

We have a 2021 17B with permanent bed, 4cf refrigerator, and extended bench, all of which are essential to us. We prep food at home and can store enough in the 4cf frig for ten days and to host company meals, including fresh produce. The permanent bed's Escape factory mattress is excellent. We deleted the small closet on the right as you enter, and extended the small dinette's bench seat to a long seat. That opens up the interior, still offers storage under the bench, and the bench is used by us to dress or recline, plus added seating for an occasional visitor who drops in. Additional storage doors are located under the permanent bed, so there's no difference in total storage. Our 17B is easily towed by our Toyota Highlander and fits into our shop for storage. We're very happy with our 17B and have previously had all sizes of RVs, including 5th wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
17'B delete wardrobe extend PS dinette bench (KOHN 2019) (2).jpg  
Rapid Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 02:56 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17-B
I have a 2017 Escape 17B with the larger fridge. I don't find that the isle space is significantly restricted. Most importantly, the larger fridge is often filled up for my usual 4-5 day camping trips. It also was great to have on a 3-month trip that I took several years ago. I highly recommend the larger fridge.
Rick
rlg303 is offline   Reply With Quote