17B permanent bed? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2019, 10:32 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 17B
Yes, a cupboard door could be added to the end, but we have "milk crates" inside the seat to keep everything tidy, so accessing the end wouldn't be beneficial for us. The seat is easy to lift to get out what is needed.
Dettling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:37 AM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I have a 2018 17A w front and rear dinettes. I asked for a door on the short face of the dinette bench and it was done...I forget the charge, but the build sheet says, I think, "door on ps/front bench same as a 19". It's much easier to use than the outside hatch which was the alternative, or lifting up the bench, since my bed is set across the front half of that dinette. I keep one of those grabber things in there so I can reach what's in the far side if need be.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have four collapsible plastic containers under our 17B rear bed/dinette. I am unable to find branding anywhere on them, but I got them at a Lordco. Perfect fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Storage.jpg  
Old 09-22-2019, 08:50 PM   #24

Trailer: None currently
I like the idea of the milk crates. Glad to know they fit well in there. Thanks for the tip.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:18 PM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Get The Permanent Bed

We had a 2007 Escape 17B. We found sleeping on the cushions uncomfortable. We added a memory foam topper, it was a pain to move around. We used to put it on the front dinette when not in use. We priced a custom mattress available locally and it was like $650. At the time I don't believe Escape had a mattress for the 17b, it was a while ago.

Get the permanent bed, it will be way more comfortable .
Some have posted pics of long drawers under the 17 permanent bed. Nice.

I have recently seen a few other 17 versions.

No wardrobe with just the 2 seat dinette.
The 2 person dinette with tall wardrobe going up to the upper cabinets. My favorite.
And the previously shown 2 person dinette with the long bench to the door.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:57 PM   #26

Trailer: 21C 2023. Previous 2019 17B
We got our new 17B with permanent bed in March and are pleased with it. I find the mattress better than our home mattress, my husband disagrees. It's not easy to get the bottom sheet on, but once it's on it stays put! I can crawl under the doors to access the hot water tank shut off. We store a few things under the bed that we access through the trailer in bins and we use the manual awning rod to pull them out. We also have the outside hatch to store hoses etc that we use a lot. I don't think we could store too much heavy stuff under the bed or the trailer would be unbalanced as the mattress is heavy too. The only negative thing I see is that the counter extension is shorter and more difficult to use. I don't think the 17B is big enough for more than two people and would only take someone else along with an extra tent or if it was for a very short time and we could eat outside. We have used the trailer for 2 month long trips and a couple of shorter trips so far.
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:04 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
If you choose the permanent bed do you lose the storage one one side and easy access to the converter and water heater on the other? We didn't order the permanent bed but are content with the stock cushions plus a custom cut 3" topper. We roll it up to access storage.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:51 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
We picked up a new 17B in July. Lived in it for a month. Very pleased with it. Mattress is very comfortable. We have two long plastic storage bins that slide under the bed from the inside. Plus access the storage from outside hatch on passenger side. The converter was moved to front passenger bench seat. Water tank is still in the same place. The only reason to access the hot water tank would be to replace it I think. That wouldn't be hard to do. Everything else to use the hotwater tank can be done from the access panel on the outside of the trailer.
It's a two person trailer.
Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:57 AM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark Camper View Post
The only reason to access the hot water tank would be to replace it I think.
Bob

You will need to access the water heater bypass valves in order to winterize.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:32 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You will need to access the water heater bypass valves in order to winterize.
Yes they can be reached from the two front doors or of course the large access door under the mattress.

Bob
Old 09-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #31

Here are the bins we used, they just fit. A 12" milk crate is 1/2" too tall to go through the cabinet doors. We found these two bins worked well for our clothes. Did not move around under the bed. We do have a few other items under there so they all seem to keep each other positioned. They were purchased at the Walmart near ETI.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3982.jpg   IMG_3981.jpg  
Old 09-23-2019, 11:00 AM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
To each his own, but I cannot imagine not having the big dinette in the back of the trailer - for workspace and for sitting with a view! The table is an extension of the kitchen for me to make up for the lack of counter space in a 17B. I suppose I could do a lot of the work outside but here's what my kitchen looked like for last year's Thanksgiving dinner cooked mostly outside in three Dutch ovens.

I have the bunk bed option in the front and the dogs love sleeping on the lower bunk and I use the upper bunk for storage.

I use the RV super bag system for the bed which all rolls up in a bag that I store either on one corner of the dinette seat or under the table on top of 7 gallon jugs I use to fetch more water. In the photo the pillows are out but I usually stuff them in the bedding bag too.

I do understand if people need a more comfortable mattress. I'm not picky about a mattress and the seat cushions work for me. As long as I have a soft pillow!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3890 1.jpg  
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:32 PM   #33

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark Camper View Post
We picked up a new 17B in July. Lived in it for a month. Very pleased with it. Mattress is very comfortable. We have two long plastic storage bins that slide under the bed from the inside. Plus access the storage from outside hatch on passenger side. The converter was moved to front passenger bench seat. Water tank is still in the same place. The only reason to access the hot water tank would be to replace it I think. That wouldn't be hard to do. Everything else to use the hotwater tank can be done from the access panel on the outside of the trailer.
It's a two person trailer.
Bob
What kind of storage bins and where did you find them?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:09 PM   #34

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by outwiththedogs View Post
Hi all,
We have a 17B on order and are wondering how folks feel about either keeping the large dinette in bed mode or opting for a permanent bed.

Catherine
Hi Catherine,
We are currently considering a 17B and are curious which option you ended up choosing, and how you like it now that you have it?
Thanks,
John and Marilyn
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:05 AM   #35

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
17 w/permanent bed

We like it but bed a little small for 3 of us.
Azjack, Nancy and Murphy
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:36 PM   #36

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
We like it but bed a little small for 3 of us.
Azjack, Nancy and Murphy
I see you have had the 21, 19, and 17. Which has been your favorite?
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote