17b Storage box- what do you put in it? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
17b Storage box- what do you put in it?

Well, I'm pulling the trigger on a 17b. I had figured it would be a few years down the road but decided to move it up.

So- wavering on a storage box. I have a pickup (Ridgeline). So have somewhere to put stuff. Wondering how much I want a storage box. Also, it would be nice to put a rack for wire exercise pens for the dogs on the tongue instead, if I figure out who can build me one.

Anyway, would like to hear what 17b owners keep in theirs. IF you don't have it have you missed it, if you do, would you get it again?

Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Bobby:
We find the storage box on our 17B to be extremely useful. We are able to keep virtually everything that we used outside the trailer in it. This includes: leveling blocks, wheel chocks, water hoses, 2 camp chairs, Anderson Leveler, power cord, and misc. items. Our TV is a Toyota 4Runner, so we could carry these items in it, but having them all readily available in the storage box works great for us.

Dave

Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 17b/RAV4 (sold) 2011Chevy Colorado
Add a Magma BBq to what Dave said for us. One of my most valuable options.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Penny Smith View Post
Bobby:
We find the storage box on our 17B to be extremely useful. We are able to keep virtually everything that we used outside the trailer in it. This includes: leveling blocks, wheel chocks, water hoses, 2 camp chairs, Anderson Leveler, power cord, and misc. items. Our TV is a Toyota 4Runner, so we could carry these items in it, but having them all readily available in the storage box works great for us.

Dave
What kind of camp chairs fit into it? Do you know the box dimensions?
Old 06-08-2020, 03:45 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
What kind of camp chairs fit into it? Do you know the box dimensions?
very small ones..........
Old 06-08-2020, 06:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A -- "The Pullman"
We keep hoses, chocks, 2x8 leveler boards, WiFI antenna and cable; propane hoses for camp stove, a box w/water press. gauge, pressure regulator, water filter, 90į angle hose connectors; also a bag of plastic fittings to mate with odd campground waste connections. Also, our front porch mat and the 9x12 plastic ground mat for under the awning. Basically, everything potentially dirty.
THE most important item is that the storage box protects your trailer from damage. We have a crack in the box corner as a result of an 'alligator' hit. ('Alligator' meaning a piece of semi-trailer tire tread in the road.)
That would have been a hole in the corner of our fiberglass Escape.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
I have a 19 and opted not to get the front storage box. It’s an option I now wish I had gotten and am planning a trip back to Chilliwack with the hopes I can get one. All the stuff others have mentioned I have to store under the bed, under the dinette seats, or put in the bathroom. There is limited storage in these small trailers, and being able to stow the outside stuff where it is readily available, and thereby opening up more area for your inside stuff, seems ideal.

I understand what you’re saying about your X-pens though. Fortunately, your trailer will have a receiver on the back that would absolutely take a storage shelf, which I think would work great for your X-pens.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Bobbie, as others have noted, I too think the box is one of the most functional options. I carry the following:
Outdoor mats
Dog mats/tie outs
Power cord
Water hose
Chocks
Levelers
Collapsible broom & rake
2 collapsible chairs
Small propane cylinders
Outside shower hose
Rags for cleaning

It holds a lot all in a readily accessible space.

Also have the optional passenger rear access door. Keep tools, distilled water (batteries), gloves, cookstove & misc stuff in here
Old 06-08-2020, 07:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
I have a 19 and opted not to get the front storage box. Itís an option I now wish I had gotten and am planning a trip back to Chilliwack with the hopes I can get one. All the stuff others have mentioned I have to store under the bed, under the dinette seats, or put in the bathroom. There is limited storage in these small trailers, and being able to stow the outside stuff where it is readily available, and thereby opening up more area for your inside stuff, seems ideal.

I understand what youíre saying about your X-pens though. Fortunately, your trailer will have a receiver on the back that would absolutely take a storage shelf, which I think would work great for your X-pens.
I have a cargo rack but really don't want the extra length in the garage (or to have to remove and replace every trip)- though maybe I can have a shorter rack made.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:36 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 17b/RAV4 (sold) 2011Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
very small ones..........
We have chairs similar to these that are small enough to transport on bikes, or even in a back pack. This choice exemplifies a design principal we employ in the 17 b that is "Gear should have multple uses" as there just isn't that much space

https://www.cliqproducts.com/product...BoCwsUQAvD_BwE
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
For trailer stability, cargo carried behind the rear bumper is bad. How bad depends on how much mass, how far back, and how the rest of the trailer is loaded.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:42 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
We use Ketmit chairs, you can fit them pretty much anywhere but need to be assembled before use. I leave them together in the truck if the weather is good and I'm not going far.
https://www.kermitchair.com/
Old 06-10-2020, 08:24 AM   #13

What is the tongue weight of the 17b with full propane tanks and nothing really heavy in the storage box?