19 build - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2017, 09:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
19 build

I think pretty close to making deposit. This is what I came up with:

options from the Escape 19 options page:
Oven with 3 Burner Cooktop (I take toaster oven with me, so think propane oven with be easier to use)
6cuft Dometic Fridge
Exterior Fridge Fan
2 - Way Hot Water Tank
Foot Flush Toilet
Winterizing T Valve (I think this may bypass the water heater tank?, like on Casita)
Additional Exterior LED Light (one in front above storage box)
LED Captains Reading Lamps (may need a couple when I figure out where the standard ones are?)
Air Conditioner (I live in Texas)
Extra Insulation & Frame-less Thermal Windows (hoping/ expecting will be better than Casita for heat and cold)
Window in Bathroom (Casita has one, I like it)
Window in Kitchen
Highlift Axle (my Casita has this, seems like good to have)
Power Tongue Jack (normally OK with manual, but seems necessary with wdh)
Cabinet Door at End of Bench
Storage Box
Equalizer Hitch

from reading posts to forum:
raise dinette 4" (so can better see out windows)

from visiting with Escape 21 owner at River Valley Egg Rally
sand pads

why I didn't get an option:
Microwave (have with Casita, never use)
Exterior Shower (have with Casita, never use, and more work to winterize)
Exterior 12V Outlet (I have fancy air pump that runs off tow battery)
Additional 12V/USB Interior Outlet (I think get one, that's all will ever use)
Dual 6V Batteries, Inverter 1500W, and Solar Panel (I used Honda 2000 generator with Casita, and bought the companion with parallel kit to use 2 generators with Escape 19 to run AC, so solar is redundant for me)
Surge Protector (I don't have a lot of sensative electrical stuff, I don't think Casita has surge protector, haven't had a problem in <10 years of camping)
Removable Power Cord (seemed like good idea, until I read others having trouble with it, plus I'm used to pullout code since Casita has pullout, I use plastic coffee lid to make a cone to keep out mice, costs zero, works great, I use rag to wipe off cord as I shove it back into the trailer)
LED Awning Light Strip (looks like light pollution to me)
Maxxfan Upgrade 7500K with remote (my Doctor says good to get up and move around, will live longer, I may put an outside cover over it depending, installed MaxxAir vent cover on Casita)
Back - Up Camera (I'm already used to backing without it, have car that has it, having trouble using it, but probably is good idea)
Stereo/DVD Player with Two Speakers, TV /Cable Ready with 120V Outlet, Jack TV Antenna (I use iPhone for calls, texting, news, and is all I need, but I'm often off the grid)
Aluminum Rim Package (looks good, but I like steel, less trouble, stronger, and saves a few $'s)
Additional Counter Extension (wife likes to use lap trays, don't think we would use, may be in the way even when closed?)
Drawer(s) under wardrobe closet, Shelves in Wardrobe Closet (maybe one drawer OK, but don't want to lose hang-up closet)
Cot (don't think would ever use)
Exterior Propane Quick Connect (don't think would ever use, plus read some issues with grill not working with trailer propane regulator)
Heat Pads with Spray Foam Insulation (heat pads overkill for me, was thinking about spray foam, but read hard to make repairs if problem under spray foam)
custom flooring, formica, fabric (too much trouble for me, but trailers really look great with custom look!)
U Shaped Dinette (considered, but consensus seems to be 19 trailer too small for U shaped dinette, plus I like/ want larger table)
Hitch with Sway Control Bar (think can add sway control later if needed, never felt needed with Casita, plus tow has some sort of anti-sway)
Wall Mount TV Arm (don't plan to have TV)
Starter Kit (been camping for <10 years, already have that stuff, may get propane tanks filled, but easy to do exchange at WalMart)

That's it, any comments suggestions welcomed. Really have enjoyed Casita, but need a little more room. I have to say, have been getting sentimental about the Casita recently, hard to let it go. I'm thinking will not miss it, once I get new Escape 19.
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I also saw somewhere in the forum where someone had a 4" raised floor but when I tried to order it they wouldn't do it. My sales rep said they only do 3". I finalized my build today so I'll be interested if you get the 4" floor. Best wishes on completing your build sheet. Lots of decisions to make.
EddyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
In no particular order....
1. You will not miss the Casita. That's what my wife said about the 17B.
2. Good move on the foot flush.
3. You may notice a little more quiet with the insulation/thermal windows.
4. What- you have to pay extra for a kitchen window?
5. High lift axle. Hmm.... how many truly benefit from that option?
6. Power tongue jack needed .....period! Storage box same.
7. Dual 6V a worthwhile upgrade.....just be sure you don't really cheap out and get the Group 27 standard battery in case you realize your mistake as the box isn't big enough for two 6V's.
8. Get the counter extension or you will hate life in the 19( or your wife will).

That's it... I would get the removable power cord again having had both, however you can always add that later and wonder why you didn't just do it in the first place.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Your Build Sheet thoughts look sound to me. You're not a newbie to camping so you have identified your needs quite well I think.
I know what you mean getting sentimental about your Casita. We just sold our Scamp a few weeks back in anticipation of taking possession of our 19er at the end of this month and it was really hard to let it go! So many good memories... but in about one month we'll be back in business with our new, improved camper. Can't wait!

"It is better to travel well than to arrive" - Buddha
Ljswany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:29 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I'd say this isn't your first rodeo. My inputs in bold inline:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
I think pretty close to making deposit. This is what I came up with:

options from the Escape 19 options page:
Oven with 3 Burner Cooktop (I take toaster oven with me, so think propane oven with be easier to use)
6cuft Dometic Fridge
Exterior Fridge Fan
2 - Way Hot Water Tank
Foot Flush Toilet
Winterizing T Valve (I think this may bypass the water heater tank?, like on Casita)
Additional Exterior LED Light (one in front above storage box)
LED Captains Reading Lamps (may need a couple when I figure out where the standard ones are?)
Air Conditioner (I live in Texas)
Extra Insulation & Frame-less Thermal Windows (hoping/ expecting will be better than Casita for heat and cold)
Window in Bathroom (Casita has one, I like it)
Window in Kitchen make it an opening one - most used window in the trailer for us
Highlift Axle (my Casita has this, seems like good to have) no need unless you boondock off rough terrain/roads where extra high clearance is needed
Power Tongue Jack (normally OK with manual, but seems necessary with wdh)
Cabinet Door at End of Bench
Storage Box
Equalizer Hitch

from reading posts to forum:
raise dinette 4" (so can better see out windows)

from visiting with Escape 21 owner at River Valley Egg Rally
sand pads

why I didn't get an option:
Microwave (have with Casita, never use)
Exterior Shower (have with Casita, never use, and more work to winterize)
Exterior 12V Outlet (I have fancy air pump that runs off tow battery)
Additional 12V/USB Interior Outlet (I think get one, that's all will ever use)
Dual 6V Batteries, Inverter 1500W, and Solar Panel (I used Honda 2000 generator with Casita, and bought the companion with parallel kit to use 2 generators with Escape 19 to run AC, so solar is redundant for me)
Surge Protector (I don't have a lot of sensative electrical stuff, I don't think Casita has surge protector, haven't had a problem in <10 years of camping) more for protecting the electrical system when you're connected to shore power. Has detected problems in campground power more than once
Removable Power Cord (seemed like good idea, until I read others having trouble with it, plus I'm used to pullout code since Casita has pullout, I use plastic coffee lid to make a cone to keep out mice, costs zero, works great, I use rag to wipe off cord as I shove it back into the trailer) Disagree. We didn't get it, and added it later. Should have got it the first time. Only issues I've heard of are crossthreading, but rare.
LED Awning Light Strip (looks like light pollution to me)
Maxxfan Upgrade 7500K with remote (my Doctor says good to get up and move around, will live longer, I may put an outside cover over it depending, installed MaxxAir vent cover on Casita) Maxxfan doesn't need a cover, not sure what you mean
Back - Up Camera (I'm already used to backing without it, have car that has it, having trouble using it, but probably is good idea)
Stereo/DVD Player with Two Speakers, TV /Cable Ready with 120V Outlet, Jack TV Antenna (I use iPhone for calls, texting, news, and is all I need, but I'm often off the grid)
Aluminum Rim Package (looks good, but I like steel, less trouble, stronger, and saves a few $'s)
Additional Counter Extension (wife likes to use lap trays, don't think we would use, may be in the way even when closed?)I'd add a small flip up extension at the foot of the bed. Very handy for small items and no need to stow it when sleeping.
Drawer(s) under wardrobe closet, Shelves in Wardrobe Closet (maybe one drawer OK, but don't want to lose hang-up closet)
Cot (don't think would ever use)
Exterior Propane Quick Connect (don't think would ever use, plus read some issues with grill not working with trailer propane regulator)
Heat Pads with Spray Foam Insulation (heat pads overkill for me, was thinking about spray foam, but read hard to make repairs if problem under spray foam)
custom flooring, formica, fabric (too much trouble for me, but trailers really look great with custom look!)
U Shaped Dinette (considered, but consensus seems to be 19 trailer too small for U shaped dinette, plus I like/ want larger table)
Hitch with Sway Control Bar (think can add sway control later if needed, never felt needed with Casita, plus tow has some sort of anti-sway)
Wall Mount TV Arm (don't plan to have TV)
Starter Kit (been camping for <10 years, already have that stuff, may get propane tanks filled, but easy to do exchange at WalMart)

That's it, any comments suggestions welcomed. Really have enjoyed Casita, but need a little more room. I have to say, have been getting sentimental about the Casita recently, hard to let it go. I'm thinking will not miss it, once I get new Escape 19.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... why I didn't get an option:
Yes, the aluminum alloy wheels are primarily for appearance and do cost more, but the steel wheels will not be stronger than any reasonable alloy wheels.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:02 AM   #7

About the removable power cord:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Only issues I've heard of are crossthreading, but rare.
And that can be fixed by changing the locking ring from threaded to bayonet, as Doug explained in another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
There are 2 parts to the removable power cord connection: the actual plug (NEMA L5-30) and the sealing/locking ring. The plug is usually slightly soft yellow, orange or black plastic and needs to be pushed in firmly and then twisted slightly to lock it in. The ring is usually hard black plastic and seals the connection. There are 2 kinds of sealing rings - a threaded one and a 2 tab 1/8 turn twist one - Marinco calls it Easy Lock. The ETI installed connector on the trailer has threads and the bayonet mount like Easy Lock grooves so either kind of ring can be used.
Easy Lock rings: MARINCO Easy Lock Ring | West Marine

Most (many? all?) Marinco connectors/cords come with both rings. You can swap them, but it is hard to do so without breaking them.

The threaded rings are hard to get on right and I worry about cross-threading them. I have swapped out my threaded rings for the Easy Lock rings except for some almost permanent connections.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:26 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Would not do without the EMS which is far more than "surge protector" that they call it. We have been shut down many times including several times in Texas (and Oklahoma) from storms, bad pedestals and campground conditions. We gave our first EMS to the buyers because we would not be without one, so bought another.

Spray foam is insulation and that works for heat as well as cold. Glad we have it for Texas. Heating pads are for use in cold weather with hook-ups which we can even use here.

Very glad to have remote for the fan and there is an outside cover.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:42 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Looks good Charles!
About the raised dinette: even if ETI won't do 4", go with the 3". Ours is 3", and that makes already a huge difference. There are two options though: raised floor or flush floor (only benches raised). Before you submit your build sheet you might want to decide on which one to pick.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:48 AM   #10

Thanks for comments, very helpful. I want both raised floor and raised benches to keep same dimensions: bench 18" from floor, table 30" from floor with 12" between bench and table. If can't do 4", 3" will be fine. Thanks
Old 09-29-2017, 11:37 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Hi,
We have an Escape 19 and I agree with both Rbryan4 and Brian B-P on all their comments. The only other comments I would make are to get a toilet shut-off valve and I personally like our outside shower on the passenger side (it is great to wash dishes outside with and bugs off the front of the trailer when you are off grid. I also think that the power tongue jack is not necessary with the WDH (I am 64 years old with a bad back and can still crank the jack with no problem, but that's me). My wife loves the LED light strip, but that's just her. I would get the LED captain lights at the head of the bed (none are standard as far as I know). Well, that's my 2 cents worth.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:11 PM   #12
H&T

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, the aluminum alloy wheels are primarily for appearance and do cost more, but the steel wheels will not be stronger than any reasonable alloy wheels.
Wouldn't the aluminum alloy be less vulnerable to rust, as compared to the steel? This could be an issue in our winters.
H&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:51 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by H&T View Post
Wouldn't the aluminum alloy be less vulnerable to rust, as compared to the steel? This could be an issue in our winters.
Now I am not a techie.... But with our dry air (yes, it's snowing right now), we are better off then one living closer to the coast.
Look at trucks and cars, and their rust. Compare same year here and there.
Alberta has it's advantages
Old 11-02-2017, 05:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by H&T View Post
Yes and no. Aluminum alloy doesn't rust, but it does corrode, particularly where the finish is damaged (such as by scratches) and particularly in a salty environment (which is why some people avoid alloys for vehicles driven in winter). That corrosion is usually only an appearance issue.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:43 AM   #15

Update, we decided to get 21 instead of 19. Main reasons were bed and dinette. We are getting older and 21 bed appears easier to get in/ out of. Lower windows with rear dinette is better for us, wife likes to stay in trailer and look out, plus dinette in rear is better location for many campsites. Thanks for all the great comments. :-)
Old 11-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #16

One more comment about aluminum wheels. Many get alum wheels for their Casita's. Not often, but some have had trouble with alum wheels and they weren't having trouble with the steel wheels before. Trailer wheels are bolt centric unlike car wheels that are hub centric, i.e. have a lip for wheel to fit snug against. So, with trailer wheels lug nut torque is more critical. If the alum wheel lug nuts come loose for whatever reason, the alum will wallow out a lot faster, compared to steel. So, if you have alum wheels, make sure lug nuts are properly torqued/ tight.
Cheers
Old 11-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Update, we decided to get 21 instead of 19. Main reasons were bed and dinette. We are getting older and 21 bed appears easier to get in/ out of. Lower windows with rear dinette is better for us, wife likes to stay in trailer and look out, plus dinette in rear is better location for many campsites. Thanks for all the great comments. :-)
I am sure that you will love your choice of a 21'. We also loved our 19' but after spending many months in it, needed a change. I used to wonder why people cared about the bed climb-over. Now I know and glad we don't have to. The 19' queen is great but the 21' has its advantages. Now you can have a good time getting those options all finished!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:25 PM   #18

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
charlespou
I see you bought another generator so you could run 2 of them for the air . I was under the understanding that the Honda 2000 would run the air. am i wrong on this?
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote