19 build sheet completed - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2014, 12:14 AM   #61

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I was going to swap my white-painted rims for aluminum, but my buddy pointed out to me that you still have to maintain them or they won't be clean and shiny.
Darn.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:51 AM   #62

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Cheryl has such a board to add, on her 21' we saw. Jim, so you have dispensed with the table? I would like to dispense with it but we are used to putting quite a lot on it. We find the 19' table too big but do not know what alternative we might want yet. So you are using a stooge table or two instead, I take it.

I can't stand those cones on the floor if the table is removed but then you must have them to be able to use it if needed. Also never know in some rare case if the bed would have to be made up, so have to keep the table in the trailer.
No, I put the table in the truck back seat, just in case. Agreed that the 19' table is a little unwieldy and the 2 stooge tables are adequate, but if we are inside for a while the table goes back. As far as the cones, I thought of a wooden box than can be placed over them and provide a foot rest, if need be, still on my "roundtoit" list.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:48 AM   #63

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Thanks. I was thinking of the foot rest, too, as we have one that size. I also would think that your present setup could actually be used as a bed without replacing the table.

With batteries in under the bench, the table could probably even go in the front box, if necessary to carry.

There are fold-up TV tables that are a possibility. Trying to think of how to not carry that table and what alternatives might exist.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:13 AM   #64
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I was going to swap my white-painted rims for aluminum, but my buddy pointed out to me that you still have to maintain them or they won't be clean and shiny.
Darn.
Maintenance on my wheels consists of a spray with Eagle1 A2Z, and rinsing off. Whew! I'm exhausted!

https://www.eagleone.com/a2z-all-wheel-tire-cleaner
Old 11-15-2014, 08:22 PM   #65
Site Team

OK, this is what I'm turning in on the 1st of December. Please Lord, don't let there be any more changes.

Sorry about the formatting, it's two photos converted from ETI's pdf file.
Attached Thumbnails
Build part 1.png   Build part 2.png  
Old 11-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #66

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You still have 2 weeks, plenty of time for changes.

The only thing I screwed up was the Horst tank probes, forgot about it till after the build started.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #67

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
What are Horst tank probes? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
The only thing I screwed up was the Horst tank probes, forgot about it till after the build started.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:30 PM   #68

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Looks Good & well thought out ... I know you will be very happy with your choices 8)
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:04 AM   #69

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Quote:
You still have 2 weeks, plenty of time for changes.

Yep, Bryan has 2 more weeks to fret. :
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:55 AM   #70
Site Team

Good tip on the probes Padlin.

There is one other item not on the build sheet because ETI hasn't let us know if they'll install it yet. We'll let the forum know either way.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:53 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
What are Horst tank probes? Thanks.
The Black and Grey tank probes that come as default on most RV's, including Escape, are fairly useless, mine give false readings more often then not. The black tank you can check by looking down the toilet with a flashlight, the grey you just have to take a guess at. The probes themselves get gunked up, making them think the fluid is up to that level.

Horst is a brand name or replacement probes that do not suffer the same problem. I know a couple folks with them and they have no complaints.

Horst Miracle Probes for Wastewater Tanks in Recreational Vehicles RVs

I know of one owner that had ETI install them during the build, they are direct swap outs, so no new wiring is needed. From what I've seen, once the waste tanks are in, access to the probes is difficult at best. If you went with the foam like I did, it's probably even worse. I had planned on getting them but spaced it off till the build was underway. As you have to provide them to ETI, I was out of luck. I don't know how much ETI wants to put them in.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #72

Great information, thanks so much. I watched the video. Have put in my notes to order.
I am such a newbie, just found out now what a grey tank and black tank are!

Old 11-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #73

Trailer: 19'
My stock probes for the holding tanks are spot on. But then I use the magic spray wand to thoroughly clean the black tank each time I dump the tanks. I dump the tanks then do two repetitions with wand : spray/dump tank, spray/dump tank. Whole operation takes less than 15 minutes.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #74

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
I know of one owner that had ETI install them during the build, they are direct swap outs, so no new wiring is needed. From what I've seen, once the waste tanks are in, access to the probes is difficult at best. If you went with the foam like I did, it's probably even worse. I had planned on getting them but spaced it off till the build was underway. As you have to provide them to ETI, I was out of luck. I don't know how much ETI wants to put them in.
We had ETI install the Horst probes. We have only camped for about 23 nights in the 21, and so far they work just fine. Of course, when ever we had a problem with the stock probes on our 17, we would fill up the gray tank with some water and dish soap, and then empty it a couple of times. That seemed to take care of the problem. In the black tank we just used the wand and a bit of dish soap there. After filling the tank and letting it all drain out, the probes would give accurate readings again.

So I don't know if the Horst probes are really doing anything yet or not. Probably will have a better idea after a year of usage.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #75

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Stock probes in all three tanks have worked fine for us so far. After using the trailer a few times, I had a pretty good feel for how long we could stay at a site without running out of fresh water or needing to dump. Most places we stay at are for max of about 3-4 days duration and we have no issues stretching our tanks that long without needing to refill or dump. In majority of instances I wouldn't have any issues if there were no tank monitors in the trailer. Where our stays have been for longer, we generally go dump and fill after 3-4 days.

I guess that my point is that the stock monitors are really all that is absolutely needed. If you have the extra cash on hand and want to try some other monitors, then go ahead. They may work better, but maybe not.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #76

I learn so much from this Forum!!!!
Old 11-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #77

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
We concur with what is said .Another reason opening bath window comes in handy you can pass the wand through window to toilet from your hose to flush out the black tank pretty good .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:02 PM   #78

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Been doing it this way for over 30 years . I think Escape builds a great product and they use the best within reason of cost . We also found leaving black tank with chemical in for a bit liquidifies and after dumping cleaning with wand like others have said - never a problem . Dawn is also a great idea . We use the green chemicals . We also bought the wand at Escape for the grey tank . Never get 1/3 readings as others in grey . I think the housekeeping is the most important .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:00 PM   #79

Spending time cleaning the tanks must be the trick. I only do such when closing up for the winter. The rest of the time it's just dump, get the black tank ready for the next load, and go. No pun/s intended.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:31 PM   #80
Site Team

Got word from ETI yesterday about the "one other item not on the build sheet" I previously mentioned -- It was the Atwood tankless hot water heater.

Reace isn't willing to install it due to the unknowns. He offered to omit the tank heater and I could have the tankless installed on my own, but we will be wanting hot water on the way home so I just went with the standard heater for now. I will use it until the anode needs replacing then go with the tankless. A bit disappointed, but there are ups and downs with any build I guess. It also shows that ETI wants to be able to stand behind their product, and introducing all these unknwons makes that harder for them to do.