1UP Dust Up - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2021, 10:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
1UP Dust Up

Have been using a 1Up bike rack for 5 years or so and have never had a problem. However, a few days ago during a month long trip we were shocked to see our rear window had been broken. Went outside and saw an impact point and thought maybe someone shot at us with a BB gun. Only after some time did we realize the handlebar from a bike hit the glass. The end of the handlebar is easily 8-10" from the glass and we've traveled thousands of miles on all kinds of roads with no issue.

Previously as a routine, I would take the OEM Allen wrench to give a tug and would find a little bit of turn needed. On this trip with our van I would just pull up on the whole rack to see if there was any play and didn't notice anything. After this incident I did use the wrench and found it turned some. Not a lot, yet am thinking there may have been just enough play to allow that much more travel on a bump to have caused the impact. Lesson learned!
Attached Thumbnails
window.jpg   bike.jpg  
Old 06-09-2021, 11:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
When we had the e15 I used to pad my bike handlebar just in case. In our e19 I use hitch extension but I would agree that 8"-10" seems safe. The bike is essentially held in place by the wheels/tires, to reduce the back and forth movement I pump the tires up an extra 10-15psi. after pushing real hard on the locking arms.
Attached Thumbnails
9.8-E15.jpg  
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:31 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 19 (sold)
Bummer that the glass broke, that's frustrating. I am a longtime 1Up fan and still use a 1Up on our 19, but I can't say I'm surprised. We have also experienced multiple instances of handlebar contact with the rear window glass and the seal along the lower edge. Fortunately no damage, though, other than some minor imprints on the window seal.

After experimenting over the years with different sizes and types of bikes, I strongly suspect that the issue has nothing to do with hitch tightness, but instead wheel/bike movement in the trays related to a combination of the total weight of the bikes, road conditions, and the incredibly strong levering forces placed on the rear of the trailer. The likelihood of movement increases with larger wheel sizes (e.g., fatter 29ers), heavier bikes (especially two of them), bigger frame sizes, and longer wheelbases.

I currently try to limit use of our 1Up on the trailer to our two kids' bikes (currently 24 and 26 inch wheels) and have had zero contact issues with those bikes. If I carry an adult mountain bike on the 1Up, I pad the end of the handlebar closest to the trailer and try to carry just one bike on the rack. 1Ups are great racks, but sometimes can't overcome physics.
canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
If you are really concerned with contact between the handlebars and the glass, it would be a simple matter to loosen up the bars and turn them 90° (parallel to the wheels) while travelling, and then reset them to their proper (perpendicular to wheel) location at your destination.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:00 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
I noticed this issue/risk and resolved it with a piece of pool noodle taped over the end of the handlebar. I agree with others that this isn't an issue with the hitch attachment in the socket. The handlebars are not supported well for back/forth movement (towards the window) as you go over a bump, so there can be several inches of movement there.
daniel108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Same problem for us. Back in 2015 I noticed that the handle bar was coming into contact with back window on rough sections of road. When traveling on frost heave or washboard sections of road the screw WILL loosen up. I ended up using this: https://www.amazon.com/StowAway-Tigh...%2C326&sr=8-16

The downside is it adds another step when you transfer the the rack from the trailer to the tow vehicle. Since we have a pickup I now run with a tailgate rug if we shuttle the bikes, and leave the 1 UP on the trailer.

With the rack on the trailer I pull it out an extra inch or two and clamp it down with the Stowaway clamp and position the inboard bike with crank arm against the spare tire. Many thousands of miles on rough roads with no window strikes. Only down side is wearing holes through the spare tire cover. Cheaper to replace the tire cover, than the back window.

I like bikes!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
We just did our first trip with the 1Up on and two e-bikes on the back of our E21C.
To prevent a clash between the bar end and the window I did what Dave Walter suggests above: loosen the stem of the bike closer to the window and turn the bars 90 degrees. It created about an 8-inch gap, which seems to be enough.