2015 Escape Build Sheet - Advice? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post

This is going to be awesome. you're right Donna -- they've made it a great trailer with no options at all. This ought to serve our needs for years to come -- unless our adult kids decide to weasel in!
That's what tents are for!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you are going to pre-wire for solar, you might as well get the dual 6V batteries now, since there are modifications required to switch from 12V to dual 6V.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I've gone dual 6v, pre-wired for solar.. who the heck knows what the future may bring? But (if my remember is right) it costs bucks ($$$) for ETI change from a single 12V battery to the dual 6v. I'm cheap, would rather pay now... then later. Due to inflation, prices never seem to go down..
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe the dual sixes in the 17 requires some minor frame change to relocate both in the rear.
In my unit, the single group 29 battery is located in a dual battery box, very easy to add another 12v battery in the future but with solar I'm fully charged before noon the next day. Do not forget the digital thermostat, makes the inside more comfortable.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:08 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
Water filter: I haven't seen other options discussed on the forum but we just use the disposable inline (outside) ones from Walmart...about $15 US and replace each year. Guess you could use the under sink ones but seems like a hassle. Just Clorox your tank and lines each season. Not sure I would want one attached to the end of my faucet either...would wonder if the bouncing of the trailer would damage it over time.
lefttee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:38 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
New toto fabric

Lindy and I got our fabric from totofabrics.com. We got a remnant so 6.5 yards of fabric for about $25.00. It was originally more than $25.00 a yard. Good service and they shipped to ETI
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:40 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Once again, great advice all. I might switch back to the dual 6v batts, which were on my original build sheet, since I'm prewiring for solar. Also, thanks for the reminder about the digital thermostat. It was on the sheet but I missed it during the copy/paste.
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:58 AM   #28

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
When I looked the water filter was the external Camco inline, available at camping world for less, but it's not a big $ item.

I didn't see it mentioned so in case you missed it, you can also get the counter/dinette top changed to whatever. I agree with Donna, the fabrics, floor, counter that ETI use are a good combo. We only changed the counter top, I think it was just because we could.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:14 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I added a Culligan water filter @ the kitchen faucet, mentioned in another post on the forum. Why filter all the water coming into the camper, as opposed to the water you actually drink? The filter does a great job.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:28 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I added a Culligan water filter @ the kitchen faucet, mentioned in another post on the forum. Why filter all the water coming into the camper, as opposed to the water you actually drink? The filter does a great job.
You might prevent early failure of your water heater and or mineral building up on the shower head and other pieces. if all water is filtered.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
I visited Escape last month and asked Reace specifically about the benefit of thermal windows and insulation in hot/humid climates. (I am in on the Texas Gulf coast and have been debating the benefits). He said he saw more value in the extra insulation over the thermal windows and one doesn't have to do both. He could do just the insulation and not the windows (split the package so to speak). It's worth considering and will save a few dollars.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape
The stove cover adds splash/sputter guards between the burners and walls.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #33

One of the benefits of the thermal windows is peace and quiet, particularly in noisy campgrounds.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
I visited Escape last month and asked Reace specifically about the benefit of thermal windows and insulation in hot/humid climates. (I am in on the Texas Gulf coast and have been debating the benefits). He said he saw more value in the extra insulation over the thermal windows and one doesn't have to do both. He could do just the insulation and not the windows (split the package so to speak). It's worth considering and will save a few dollars.
Hi: JStelly... For our 5.0TA we split the package. No thermal windows, but extra insulation... as we like the idea of having the awning windows open/out, up in the bed loft.
You can't beat the smell of fresh air!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #35

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I don't get how thermal windows can give peace and quiet in a noisy campground. When does anyone sleep with the windows and vents closed? I could understand closing the windows to use the AC but then the AC noise would drown out the outside noise of the camp ground. Same thing with the furnace.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #36

Trailer: Working on my build list
If you plan to keep your trailer a long time an advantage of the dual 6v batteries is that battery life is related to how deeply the batteries are discharged. Assuming proper charging and maintenance, a battery that routinely gets 30% of its capacity used will last longer than a battery that gets 50% of its capacity used. If you use more than 50% of battery capacity regularly you can expect very short service life from each new set of batteries. With the cost of batteries so high, more battery capacity will save money in the long run.

It's also worth spending some time learning about proper battery care. You hear of people who get 1-2 years from their batteries and people who get 5-7 years. How batteries are treated makes the difference.
WestEnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I don't get how thermal windows can give peace and quiet in a noisy campground. When does anyone sleep with the windows and vents closed? I could understand closing the windows to use the AC but then the AC noise would drown out the outside noise of the camp ground. Same thing with the furnace.
Other than extreme heat or cold, we normally sleep with everything closed but the o/h vent. Depends on weather as well as locale, particularly in rest areas.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I don't get how thermal windows can give peace and quiet in a noisy campground. When does anyone sleep with the windows and vents closed?
Just about every night of our May month long trip through the South West. It's cool at nights at the higher elevations.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #39

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I guess we're just spring/summer campers. And we only, so far, camp at/on camp grounds. When it gets cold we add a blanket. We keep the windows open, vents open and often the door open.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
A true story:

I was really leaning toward Casita. I emailed them twice asking for a brochure and price list. (One thing I hate is when this info is kept confidential -- why?)

It has been weeks, and no response from Casita. Also, I went to the casita owners forums of which there are several. Seemed nobody there really wanted to help.

Last Friday was the very first time I even looked at the Escape. I was blown away over the quality and appearance. I sent a web form inquiry, and within TEN MINUTES I got a reply from ETI. They have been nothing but helpful and responsive.

Also, I joined the Escape forum after deciding to order, and within FIVE MINUTES I had all sorts of people welcoming me and giving me advice.

Is it any wonder I chose Escape? You folks are the best.
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build sheet, options