2015 Escape Build Sheet - Advice? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Smile 2015 Escape Build Sheet - Advice?

Hello all, new member here who has just placed an order for a 2015 17B. I think I have the build sheet about done, but would appreciate any answers, sanity checks or suggestions:

2 Burner Stainless Stove/Hood - (save counter space over 3 burner)
4.3 CF Fridge - (Hey, need the space)
A/C (we live in Texas)
Digital thermostat (too lazy to control 2 separate things)
Dual 6V Batts (not boodocking alot, but just in case)
Dual Propane Package
Hitch - Andersen or Equalizer? Towing with a Lincoln MKX V6
High lift axle - pros/cons?
2 way hot water tank - worth it? we'd be on grid much of the time
Microwave - do they have a silver one to match stove/sink?
Bathroom window - (natural light and ventilation)
Storage Box (expensive, but wow would it be handy!)
Stainless Sink
Prewire for stereo (I'll install my own)
Stove cover - do we need it?
Thermal windows/insulation - again, do we need it?
TV Antenna w/power amplifier - (broadcast HDTV when no cable)
Water filter - assuming it's an inline cartridge type?
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:02 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you might consider it down the road I'd have the Prewire done for solar.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
Site Team

Maybe so, Padlin. Tell me, where does the solar panel go, and how much juice would it produce?
Old 06-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
It seems most people use it to augment their counter space, similar to the sink cover (the laminated cut-out from the sink installation). Since the 15A has adequate counter space (chortle, chortle), I had no need for either. Others have simply bought or made cutting boards (beautiful ones, BTW) that they use as a stove cover which I would find more functional.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Hitch - Andersen or Equalizer? Towing with a Lincoln MKX V6
2 way hot water tank - worth it? we'd be on grid much of the time
Thermal windows/insulation - again, do we need it?
The hitch is a religious question - search the forum for several threads.

On the grid the electric hot water option lets you use the park's electricity, not your propane.

Stove cover, hood, # burners is an individual question. Think about what/how/where YOU plan to cook.

The thermal windows and insulation help in hot climates, not just cold. They also reduce noise. Consider adding the tank/floor spray foam.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #6

Trailer: No RV for now.
Congratulations on your order!

The insulation and thermal windows not only keep your trailer warmer or cooler, but this really helps with sound insulation, which can be an issue at some campsites. We are glad we have it quite often!

We prefer not to get the stove cover but we use a cutting board that fits over the burners instead. It is adds more to the usable counter space, I think. We store it during travel.

The storage box is a good deal since it also acts as a rock guard; we priced the Linux (or similar) applications and it would cost around $500 to have someone do that alone on our trailer. This makes the storage box a bargain, I think.

The dual batteries are a more expensive option, both initially and to replace, and they add weight. We stick with a 12 volt single. It's personal preference, though.

So many of the options people choose depend totally on how they will use their trailer, so you are the best judge! Happy trails!
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I prefer a wood stove cover over metal. Turn your 2-burner stove to vertical to gain more counter space. YES, get the dual pane windows and extra insulation. Cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter and far less condensation in shoulder season. YES, get pre-wire solar, for no other reason than the "future." NO, ETI doesn't have a stainless steel microwave, but you can get the wiring/plug done and install your own.

Since you're in Texas, consider getting the refrigerator Texas Fans option. These dang refrigerators are difficult to keep at cool temperature in high heat and need all the help they can get!

Exciting times ahead!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:39 PM   #8
Site Team

Wow, great advice all. Thank you!

So far it looks like we'll add the extra insulation/thermal windows, the 2 way hot water heater, and go with the equalizer hitch.

So, the newest options sheet:

2 Burner Stainless Stove/Hood - (turned sideways to max counter space)
4.3 CF Fridge
A/C
Digital thermostat
Dual 6V Batts
Dual Propane Package
Equalizer Hitch
2 way hot water tank
Microwave (we can live with white I guess)
Bathroom window
Storage Box
Stainless Sink
Prewire for stereo
Prewire for solar
Thermal windows/insulation
TV Antenna w/power amplifier

any input on:

High lift axle - pros/cons?
Water filter - assuming it's an inline cartridge type?
Old 06-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
2 Burner Stainless Stove/Hood - (turned sideways to max counter space)
The counter space is still the same; there's just more in the center and less in the back. You do lose a useful space for cooking oils, salt & pepper, vinegars, etc., but some put in racks for those items.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #10
Site Team

The microwave is black which matches the refrigerator front panel and the window frames. I had the two burner turned in my 5er. There's still room next to the dinette wall for salt & pepper, etc. I prefer a larger area for food prep. YMMV
Old 06-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #11
Site Team

Decisions, decisions!

Almost forgot a very important question - well, not to me, but to my "boss": Custom fabric. I've noticed that some of the posts mention a fabric number, like it came from a certain supplier. I was told by Kim they have only one fabric, and if you want custom you have to supply it. So, where do those of you who've changed the fabric usually get it?
Old 06-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #12
Site Team

Fabric by the Yard – Sailrite is a great place to purchase marine quality fabric. (Sunbrella) Just remember, if you getting a repeating pattern you need to order a lot more!

Check locally too, save S&H costs. Sailrite will send you a small sample for a buck, which is really helpful because I've found they don't look the same when viewing on the monitor. PLUS they send you a 10% off coupon with the sample(s)!
Old 06-21-2014, 06:03 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Fabric by the Yard – Sailrite is a great place to purchase marine quality fabric. (Sunbrella) Just remember, if you getting a repeating pattern you need to order a lot more!

Check locally too, save S&H costs. Sailrite will send you a small sample for a buck, which is really helpful because I've found they don't look the same when viewing on the monitor. PLUS they send you a 10% off coupon with the sample(s)!
PLUS they will ship to Canada very reasonably.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #14
Site Team

ETI will have to pay duty on the fabric if shipped directly. I think it cost D&K about $40 in duty. I took my fabric up with me when I visited ETI in April.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Well, everyone has their opinions these are mine:

Turning stove sideways; we did it, it makes a difference, wife's happy we did it, need I say more

Double glazed windows; such an improvement over our Scamp both in reduction of condensation and the unexpected benefit of noise reduction. The front window isn't double glazed because of the window guard frame. If you want to see if double glazed windows are worth it look at someone's trailer in the morning. Normally none of the double glazed windows will have condensation but the front one will.

Microwave; they're so inexpensive and available that if I wanted a type other than the factory one I'd wait and buy my own.

High lift axle; our previous trailer, a Scamp, dragged its' bum on slightly steep inclines etc. The 19 has much more ground clearance. Unless you're planning on doing some brutal off-roading I wouldn't think a high lift axle was necessary.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:36 PM   #16
Site Team

I'm thinking that the stock fabric is sounding better all the time. We're at $27K CAN right now, and every little bit of savings helps. Maybe we can do the darker Formica in the Mineral Olive like in Karen's Egbert instead. No shipping, no supplying, and it goes very well with the stock fabric IMHO.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Well, everyone has their opinions these are mine:

Turning stove sideways; we did it, it makes a difference, wife's happy we did it, need I say more

Double glazed windows; such an improvement over our Scamp both in reduction of condensation and the unexpected benefit of noise reduction. The front window isn't double glazed because of the window guard frame. If you want to see if double glazed windows are worth it look at someone's trailer in the morning. Normally none of the double glazed windows will have condensation but the front one will.

Microwave; they're so inexpensive and available that if I wanted a type other than the factory one I'd wait and buy my own.

High lift axle; our previous trailer, a Scamp, dragged its' bum on slightly steep inclines etc. The 19 has much more ground clearance. Unless you're planning on doing some brutal off-roading I wouldn't think a high lift axle was necessary.

Ron
Thanks Ron. I'm pretty sure that any road we went down would be a question of the tow vehicle (in this case, a non 4wd Lincoln MKX V6) as much as it would be the trailer. I personally prefer blacktop if at all possible!
Old 06-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #18
Site Team

Robert, I think we can ALL understand. Those dollar pain points 'cause us all to go OUCH. ETI has done a great job with their standard offerings. The flooring, the Formica and the upholstery fabric. I can't imagine the discussions between Tammy and Reace to come up with these! You can always personalize the upholstery with contrasting pillows, etc. If you ask, ETI will send you samples of the fabric, flooring and "rubber" Formica trim. That may help you make your decisions. What you're seeing on your monitor is not WYSIWYG.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:18 PM   #19

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Maybe so, Padlin. Tell me, where does the solar panel go, and how much juice would it produce?
Don't know where they squeeze the panel on a 17, but I'm guessing it'd be a 95 watt panel which was their standard up until a few weeks ago, produces about 5.5Ahr. After looking over the wiring on my trailer I'd hate to try and run cables later. I also had prewire for stereo, no idea if I'll use that.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #20
Site Team

Great advice all!

So, did some crunching and here is what I "think" is close to the final build sheet:

Floor Plan: 17B

Options:
2 Burner Stainless Steel Stove & Range hood – install front to back
4.3 cu ft Fridge
Air Conditioner (11,000 BTU)
12V Battery (Group 29 126 amp hrs)
Dual Propane Package
Equalizer Hitch
2 - Way Hot Water Tank
Microwave (Built-In)
Opening Window in Bathroom
Storage Box
Stainless Steel Sink & Chrome Faucet
Prewire for Stereo
Thermal Windows & Extra Insulation
TV Antenna with power amplifier (Includes TV Ready with 120V)
Prewire Solar Panel
Water Filter

This is going to be awesome. you're right Donna -- they've made it a great trailer with no options at all. This ought to serve our needs for years to come -- unless our adult kids decide to weasel in!

Tags
build sheet, options