2020 e23 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2019, 02:12 PM   #41

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Just how much truck bed storage do you think is lost? Perhaps a square foot. We store one hell of a lot in our truck bed.

Enjoy,

Perry
Used to get 2 bikes and a canoe in/on the truck bed, no such luck with the 5.0TA, not that it stopped me from taking them.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:11 PM   #42

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
A "23" should be 23 feet long overall with a shell length around 19 feet. It just doesn't make sense to call a 25 foot long trailer a 23.
I agree!
Old 11-26-2019, 04:21 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Just how much truck bed storage do you think is lost? Perhaps a square foot
I don't think any of the hitch systems occupy only one square foot in the bed. "Industry standard" mounting rails are about two feet apart, and typical hitch bases are about two feet wide, so those typical hitch bases (actual fifth-wheel or Andersen ball hitch) occupy about four square feet. The Andersen "gooseneck"-anchored base is even bigger.

Plus, the hitch is plunked in the middle of the box, so the ability to carry any large rigid object is limited.

Still, it is only a small fraction of the box floor area - about 15% for a typical hitch and box.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:04 PM   #44

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
We also got Ford's BLISS package for blind spot notification and it's wonderful!
The BLISS disables when connected, correct? If not, what did I miss?
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:30 PM   #45

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't think any of the hitch systems occupy only one square foot in the bed. "Industry standard" mounting rails are about two feet apart, and typical hitch bases are about two feet wide, so those typical hitch bases (actual fifth-wheel or Andersen ball hitch) occupy about four square feet. The Andersen "gooseneck"-anchored base is even bigger.

Plus, the hitch is plunked in the middle of the box, so the ability to carry any large rigid object is limited.

Still, it is only a small fraction of the box floor area - about 15% for a typical hitch and box.
Give it a break!

Not even close to 15%. I'm talking about what you lose, not the square footage of the hitch. I have no problem using the space underneath our hitch for many items. and in the area; I do figure I lose a square foot, not four feet. That space is quite useful.

No problem carrying large rigid objects either. Did you know our hitch is only 35#'s and is easily removable. The rails only stick up perhaps 2" max from the bed, and have not stopped us from carrying anything.

I will admit we can't carry kayaks back there, but many carry two bikes on the back and I could carry at least one behind the window. We carry a trike, a huge box with our bike gear, another large box carrying misc. gear, tables, 13# LP tank, an Andersen Trailer Jack Block, Leggo blocks, and still have more room for chairs and other gear if needed.

So when someone says, "Including the loss of the truck bed storage" I'm going to say "BS."

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-26-2019, 09:36 PM   #46
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
So when someone says, "Including the loss of the truck bed storage" I'm going to say "BS."

Enjoy,

Perry

I'm more concerned about overloading the truck bed because the payload for my F-150 is only 1,437lbs. But everything I've ever need to carry, I can carry.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:36 PM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
BLIS with trailer coverage and blind spot alert does not disable when towing a conventional trailer. Since blind spots increase when towing a trailer, it wouldn't make much sense to disable it then. One caveat though - if you select a gooseneck or a 5th Wheel as the trailer type when setting it up, it WILL disable automatically when towing. Here's a link from Ford describing how BLIS with trailer coverage works.

https://www.ford.com/technology/driv...iler-coverage/
Old 11-26-2019, 09:42 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
BLIS can actually be used with trailers up to 33 feet behind the truck. On page 264 in our manual it explains you do have to set up the truck to use BLlS when hauling a trailer. Don't know why Ford has BLIS turned off with 5th wheels, but I'm told you can easily fool the system. We get our rails installed on December 4, but won't hook up and drive until January 15. Perhaps I'll remember to respond to this thead, but then I did use the word, "remember."

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-26-2019, 09:46 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
And it works really well. I'm a life long motorcyclist and using mirrors has kept me alive so using mirrors is second nature. I probably viewed the system as something that I didn't really need. But I was surprised at how quickly I started to use it and how accurate it is at seeing the blind spot.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:08 PM   #50

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
BLIS can actually be used with trailers up to 33 feet behind the truck. On page 264 in our manual it explains you do have to set up the truck to use BLlS when hauling a trailer. Don't know why Ford has BLIS turned off with 5th wheels, but I'm told you can easily fool the system. We get our rails installed on December 4, but won't hook up and drive until January 15. Perhaps I'll remember to respond to this thead, but then I did use the word, "remember."

Perry
Great news! I must have done something wrong as mine always disables and I thought I had changed the trailer to a bumper pull but maybe not. I did notice after the last trip I did not have a trailer selected so that could be it also. I won’t be hitched again for a few weeks but will give it another try then.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:14 PM   #51

You can make many modifications to your system using FORScan with a $30 connector and a cheap windows laptop. I just received my connector today and if the snow quits I'll start making some mods tomorrow. YouTube is your friend.

Enjoy,

Perry

Old 11-27-2019, 01:13 AM   #52

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Wouldn't mind adding the transmission temperature number display.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:39 AM   #53

Trailer: 2013 EggCamper
I know my bed is full on some trips and the fifth wheel hitch would limit the carry items. Large EZ up, kayaks and gear, chairs, table, fire bowl, large cooler of beer lol, on and on. Also when going into stores on the road this stuff is exposed vs hidden under my hard locked tonneau. Some can say their fifth wheel does not limit them, that’s great! A fifth wheel hitch would limit us.
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:31 AM   #54

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Some can say their fifth wheel does not limit them, that’s great! A fifth wheel hitch would limit us.
and that is why I'm on #4 pull behind Escape, I carry a fully sized spare, air compressor, axle jack and some tools all the time under my tonneau cover. When camping there are mats, chairs, propane, Blackstone grille, table, dog food and water added. My 6.5' bed is full and I'm probably at my #1400 capacity with the dogs and tongue weight. The added weight of the 5.0 pin, hitch, and eliminating even 1/2 of those items just doesn't work, for me.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:25 AM   #55

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
You know, love the trailer you have for your own reasons, this is why we make the choices we do.

And while you do have an open bed for towing with a fifth wheel, you can easily make do with this scenario. My lockable and non-removable tool box holds hordes of hand tools, lots of camp tools (rake, axe, shovel, etc) and a multitude of other things. In my bed I carry water containers if needed, an inflatable canoe, all my towing and blocking setup things, a container or two of misc materials, a Clam shelter, and much more stuff.

Hordes of storage on the trailer, especially with adding a storage box like I did, but a bumper pull can have a storage box too. I can carry most anything related to setting up the trailer and campsite short of the exterior shelter on the trailer.

When I had the 19, and without a storage box in those days, we rarely carried much in the tow vehicle, just things we wanted to have in it for daily road trips.

So, my thought is any Escape trailer has the capability of taking what you need for camping, if anything it is more about how you use the trailer, both for lifestyle desires and storage needs.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:38 AM   #56

Quote:

After sleeping on this, I realized BLIS may not be usable with our 5.0. Is the 5th wheel too close to the tow, causing it to think the camper is in the affected area? Can I fool it by saying it's a short camper? Is there something in BLIS that can be changed using FORSCAN? We'll find out in January.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-27-2019, 08:18 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe & Cherie View Post
I know my bed is full on some trips and the fifth wheel hitch would limit the carry items. Large EZ up, kayaks and gear, chairs, table, fire bowl, large cooler of beer lol, on and on. Also when going into stores on the road this stuff is exposed vs hidden under my hard locked tonneau. Some can say their fifth wheel does not limit them, that’s great! A fifth wheel hitch would limit us.
You're right! If your uncomfortable with the gear being open, a 5th wheel is not for you.

However that was not the reason for my post. Too many times I read, "Including the loss of the truck bed storage." We and many others disagree with this statement.

I've been camping with gear in an open bed for 45+ years and have yet to have something stolen, yet know that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I go into parking lots and see open construction gear I'd love to have in the back of pickups and they are willing to accept the risks just as those here. Now if you're paranoid of opportunity thefts, then again, a 5th wheel is not for you.

Almost all thefts are opportunity thefts. In our large waterproof box in the front of our bed is over $1,000 in bike gear/tools. It sits underneath the rolled up tonneau cover and takes some serious wiggling to get in to see what the box contains when the camper is attached. My air compressor and battery charger are in a covered waterproof container. Attractive items to steal are in boxes to discourage opportunity theft. We also avoid parking in ghettos when hooked to our 5th wheel.

I know of guy who had his generator stolen that was "safely" locked in his pickup topper. His "lock" stopped nothing and there was much damage to the topper. That's why I don't care for pickup toppers, plus I have to take the topper off to move large items. We've owned toppers and they don't work for us.

When we unhook from our camper our tonneau cover hides our gear for reduced opportunity theft when we go into ghetto areas to shop. So when unhooked, we have a covered box to reduce opportunity thefts. The word "reduced' is used here because vehicles, toppers, and tonneau covers are still broken into, even in campgrounds.

Finally, there are items mentioned here that some seem to think can't be carried in back: fire bowl, large cooler of beer, full size spare, air compressor, mats, chairs, propane, grill, table, dog food and water. We have no problem carrying any of these items! So the limit is one's imagination, or paranoia of opportunity theft, not can't carry these items.

Individually we make the final choice of our style of camper. Of course one must realize YMMV.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-27-2019, 09:39 AM   #58

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
After sleeping on this, I realized BLIS may not be usable with our 5.0. Is the 5th wheel too close to the tow, causing it to think the camper is in the affected area? Can I fool it by saying it's a short camper? Is there something in BLIS that can be changed using FORSCAN? We'll find out in January.
The Ford and trailer forums are full of banter from 5th wheel owners that have BLIS disabled when they choose 5th wheel on screen. It has to do with interference with the sensors and how the radar works. Some have tried to fool it but selecting conventional trailer but the system will likely not be accurate (constantly alerting?) which is more frustrating than not having the system at all. There are system limitations as well for conventional trailers....8.5' max width and 33' max length as well as other particulars.
Attached Thumbnails
BLIS.jpg  
Old 11-27-2019, 10:23 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The Ford and trailer forums are full of banter from 5th wheel owners that have BLIS disabled when they choose 5th wheel on screen. It has to do with interference with the sensors and how the radar works. Some have tried to fool it but selecting conventional trailer but the system will likely not be accurate (constantly alerting?) which is more frustrating than not having the system at all. There are system limitations as well for conventional trailers....8.5' max width and 33' max length as well as other particulars.
Yes, I saw this information this morning before I posted. It's the Internet and what one on the F150 forum says works does not necessarily work for another, and that's why I posted we'll see in January. I'm guessing it won't work.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-27-2019, 11:34 AM   #60

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Not even close to 15%. I'm talking about what you lose, not the square footage of the hitch. I have no problem using the space underneath our hitch for many items. and in the area; I do figure I lose a square foot, not four feet. That space is quite useful.
The space under the hitch is usable in some designs, which is a good point; in others it would be pretty awkward to put anything there. Simply saying "one square foot lost" doesn't describe the loss of utility, and I don't pretend to know what people want to carry. I do know that many mobility scooters - for instance - could not be placed ahead of the hitch without a crane, would not fit beside the hitch, and would be too tall to sit behind the hitch with the trailer over them.

Quote:
No problem carrying large rigid objects either. Did you know our hitch is only 35#'s and is easily removable. The rails only stick up perhaps 2" max from the bed, and have not stopped us from carrying anything.
I was referring to carrying stuff while towing. Of course there's no space loss with the hitch removed, although those using a rail system do need to contend with those.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote