2020 Escape 19 build discussion - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2020, 10:54 PM   #41

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
TTMartin - thanks for posting your build. My sheet is due Monday as well, and your list reminded me of a couple of things I needed to change before then. We chose the same interior for our 21NE.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:07 AM   #42

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
You could probably get another inch from both sides combined. I think the gas line for the stove-top runs in the right front corner of the cabinet, also consider that some appliances need space on the side for ventilation.
Thank you!

Based on your measurements I've decided to go ahead and have ETI do the microwave under the stove.

This was one last detail on my build sheet.

Of course the thread on the bathroom grab handle now has me wondering if I should reinforce the bathroom wall (W5)?

So many decisions.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:15 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
TTMartin - thanks for posting your build. My sheet is due Monday as well, and your list reminded me of a couple of things I needed to change before then. We chose the same interior for our 21NE.
Congratulations on your 21NE it's a great layout. I forgot to list it, but, I'm going with the black counter edging.

You'll be happy to know that our interior choice has been approved by my 27 year old professional Graphic Designer daughter.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:56 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Thank you!

Based on your measurements I've decided to go ahead and have ETI do the microwave under the stove.

This was one last detail on my build sheet.

Of course the thread on the bathroom grab handle now has me wondering if I should reinforce the bathroom wall (W5)?

So many decisions.
Okay, during last night's live stream Karl mentioned that there was a 'Convection Microwave Ready' option available. This is actually what I had in mind for down the road.

I think in my early conversations with Joldie I had dismissed ETI doing anything related to the Convection Microwave, as I was contemplating getting the Inverter installed by ETI.

ETI will not wire the outlet for a Convection Microwave to their inverter since it draws close to the maximum rating of the 1500 watt Go Power Inverter.

Since then I've decided against getting the Go Power Inverter, as I have a inverter generator, and will do my own inverter install if I decide I need it in the future.

So the Convection Microwave Ready option modifies the kitchen cabinet to accommodate either the High Pointe Convection Microwave or the RecPro RV Convection Microwave which appears to just be a rebranded High Pointe.

The advantage of a Convection Microwave is that it functions as a Microwave, a Convection Oven, and a Broiler all in one single space.

Here is a good video on the features of the High Pointe Convection Microwave oven.

So, I've decide to get the Convection Microwave Ready option on my Escape 19, and skip the ETI installed Microwave.

Some other last minute changes I've decided to have W5 Reinforced. This is the bathroom wall that faces the door. The discussion on the grab handle got me thinking. My wife and I don't need one now, but, who knows in the future. This should give me the option of installing a full fledged grab bar on wall to the left of the toilet.

I've also decided to get the counter extension on the bedside of the kitchen wall, so I have a place to put a CPAP and use as a 'night stand'.

I've also decided to get a second 13" x 15" counter top extension. Where I'm going to install this is still up in the air. I have a couple of ideas so I'm sure it will go somewhere.

Monday is my build sheet signing day. Then the wait begins for my completion date.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:09 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Camplite
Quote:

ETI will not wire the outlet for a Convection Microwave to their inverter since it draws close to the maximum rating of the 1500 watt Go Power Inverter.

Since then I've decided against getting the Go Power Inverter, as I have a inverter generator, and will do my own inverter install if I decide I need it in the future.
[

So if someone wants a convection microwave then they would need to install a more powerful inverter? Any idea the cost to do this? ETI won't just offer this?
drhoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:45 AM   #46

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Okay, during last night's live stream Karl mentioned that there was a 'Convection Microwave Ready' option available. This is actually what I had in mind for down the road.
We have the Convection Microwave. A few others on here also have one. Ours is a "Contoure RV-190S-CON", it was the only model that ETI approved at the time. Not a cheap option, ETI charged $300 Canadian for the cabinet modification. We like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Sweet Suites Microwave.jpg  
Old 06-15-2020, 07:08 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
We have the Convection Microwave. A few others on here also have one. Ours is a "Contoure RV-190S-CON", it was the only model that ETI approved at the time. Not a cheap option, ETI charged $300 Canadian for the cabinet modification. We like it.
Thank you very much for the photo. ETI didn't have one to send me.

Same pricing today $300 Canadian / $240 US
Old 06-15-2020, 07:17 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoda View Post
So if someone wants a convection microwave then they would need to install a more powerful inverter? Any idea the cost to do this? ETI won't just offer this?
A larger inverter requires larger wires from the batteries, and possibly upgraded batteries too. ETI will only install options that have been engineered as safe for the trailer. So, no ETI does not offer a higher wattage inverter at this time.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:50 AM   #49

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Our convection / microwave oven draws 1000 microwave / 1500 convection. Looks like use of microwave on inverter for short periods would work, but you wouldn't want to use the convection oven.

ETI told me that they didn't recommend wiring to the inverter because it would be "too hard on batteries". I have considered wiring it to the inverter, but so far I haven't any plan to do it. The benefit for us would be using microwave while traveling to heat something up.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:06 AM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
You would definitely need larger wiring, fuse, and more space for the next step up from GoPower - their 2000 watt inverter. I redid the wiring for my 1500 watt inverter with #2/0 wire & my 950 watt microwave draws 140 amps when run at full power. It is an inverter microwave that can be "turned down" to as little as 250 watts.

While I was able to run it on the pair of 6V lead acid batteries, I had to watch my usage to keep from dropping the batteries under the inverter cutoff voltage of 10.5V, particularly after a night of running the furnace. After switching to a pair of lithium batteries, there has been no problem.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:28 AM   #51

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Does not anyone watch "Diners, Drive ins, and Dives" hosted by Guy Fieri? I even bought his book which has a wealth of information about out of the way places with extraordinary food. While traveling we try to stop at least once to a place seen on the show or some other recommendation. One of our memorable lunches was at a rest stop in our Escape, all to ourself. I brought out a table and 2 chairs and we had italian subs and chips purchased from the last stop for gas. Another time we stopped in Baker City, Or on our way to Osoyoos and I purchased chinese carryout and we ate in the Escape parked next to the downtown city park. These are part of our memories created while traveling, not heated up leftovers in the micro.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:39 AM   #52

Found some old pictures, one of a italian sub that was so good, we still talk about it. Here is the stop in Sundance, Wy where we ate the food outside on our little table looking at the views.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00980 copy.jpeg   33-DSC00437.jpg   36-DSC00440.jpg  
Old 06-15-2020, 03:55 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
You would definitely need larger wiring, fuse, and more space for the next step up from GoPower - their 2000 watt inverter. I redid the wiring for my 1500 watt inverter with #2/0 wire & my 950 watt microwave draws 140 amps when run at full power. It is an inverter microwave that can be "turned down" to as little as 250 watts.

While I was able to run it on the pair of 6V lead acid batteries, I had to watch my usage to keep from dropping the batteries under the inverter cutoff voltage of 10.5V, particularly after a night of running the furnace. After switching to a pair of lithium batteries, there has been no problem.
I guess my main (very layperson) question is should I have them just make it "convection ready" and not have the inverter or factory microwave installed..then have Camping World or someone immediately install a 2000 or 3000 watt inverter and wiring? If so, any idea the labor cost of such a secondary install? I've reached the age where I don't tackle any more handyman work that requires more than 10 mins or more than a screwdriver....
Old 06-15-2020, 04:04 PM   #54

Thanks. Hey just noticed you're from Punta Gorda. We just moved to Cape Coral!

I've requested to tour a local Escape 5.0 but haven't heard back yet. Were you able to view a local one?
Old 06-15-2020, 04:05 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoda View Post
I guess my main (very layperson) question is should I have them just make it "convection ready" , not have the inverter installed or factory microwave and then have Camping World or someone immediately install a 2000 or 3000 watt inverter and wiring? If so, any idea the labor cost of such a secondary install?
Unless you have them make it 'convection ready' a convection microwave will not fit in the future with out substantial modification to the cabinets.

My plan is get the 'convection ready' in my build. Skip the ETI installed inverter. Use an inverter generator for now. In the future when I need new batteries, I'll upgrade to LiFePO4, batteries and install a large enough inverter at that time.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:05 PM   #56

A lot of bad press for CW, i'd try to avoid them.....
Old 06-15-2020, 04:06 PM   #57

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Your unit was manufactured 2 or so months before ours. Was your kitchen faucet shown in the photo standard at the time or special order?

Our unit, built shortly after, has a different model or brand that has been problematic. Just trying to get info on what types have been supplied in the past.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:11 PM   #58

Ron,
I believe that faucet is the one in the maple interior. Escape called and asked if I wanted one and I did and have the same as shown, although I have the oak interior.. It has a pull down hose with 2 spray heads, a lot nicer that what I have at home!
Old 06-15-2020, 04:15 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
A lot of bad press for CW, i'd try to avoid them.....
I agree stay away from Camping World.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:21 PM   #60

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Escape is correct on being concerned about the batteries. At 1500 watts (the convection rating) at 12v, you will draw at least 125 amps. For a typical short microwave run of 3 - 5 minutes, this is not going to use too many amp hours (at 120 amps, around 2 amp hours per minute), but convection baking is usually a much longer run. The stock 6V batteries have about 110 usable amp hours when fully charged, but you may find that long before you reach 50% (the suggested maximum battery lower level), the voltage drops enough that the inverter shuts down due to low voltage.

The amp hours add up quickly, and you do need to find a way to put them back (and maybe make it through a cold night with the furnace after baking dinner).

Most larger RVs that use 2K - 3K inverters have at least 4 6V batteries, some far more. Going to lithium would save weight and allow fewer batteries, however you still need to find a way to put back the amp hours you use, and the cost of lithium is something to consider.

As to cost, the typical RV service technician is now charging at least $100.00 per hour. You are looking at 4 - 6 hours of labor plus the cost of the inverter, wiring & fuse. I'd also recommend a switch. My change from the factory wiring cost $68.26 for the wire, 21.59 for the fuse block, and $10.00 for a pair of 200 amp fuses. The switch was $15.00. A GoPower pure sine wave 2K inverter is $595.38, 3K is $846.38. Of course the dealer probably adds a markup. If you want a whole house system, you will need to include a transfer switch and sub panel, which will add to the cost & labor.

Tags
introduction