21' sink cover vs custom sink - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2018, 11:27 AM   #1

Trailer: 21' 2018
21' sink cover vs custom sink

Would you prioritize the sink cover on the stock ETI sink, or the 3" extra depth and 1-2" extra width (or length, not sure how it'll orient) in a custom Houzer bar sink?

We'll either buy or make a cover for the oven stovetop, but we're trying to do without a counter extension next to the sink. I'd love to put our dirty dishes on the extension, but I've got to say no to something!!

Does anyone functionally use their sinktop with the cover on it? Do I really need the extra 3" depth on the sink? (We cook 2-3 meals a day, dinner we cook in big quantities at home, not sure how that'll translate in the camper.)
Old 01-24-2018, 11:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We do not have the counter extension. Had it on the 19' and it was in the way of getting out the door. Others like it for when cooking outside. I also have other things there now.

We never use the sink cover as the faucet could be on and get water on the floor. Some use the sink cover for a prep area but we need the water for that.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We never use the sink cover and don't take it anymore. We do use our counter extension all the time, though it does impede(but not totally block) ingress/egress through the door. Susan uses it when she does dishes; I don't but prefer to use the space between the sink & stove. We do use it with a small wooden cheese block to put hot saucepans on when needing 3 pots for cooking.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
We never use the sink cover and don't take it anymore. We do use our counter extension all the time, though it does impede(but not totally block) ingress/egress through the door. Susan uses it when she does dishes; I don't but prefer to use the space between the sink & stove. We do use it with a small wooden cheese block to put hot saucepans on when needing 3 pots for cooking.
Ditto, Ditto, Ditto....Although, I do help with drying the dishes........

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
More dittos. I think that it's the last thing my wife would omit.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:02 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The sink cover is in the closet, hasn't come out in three years. Guess I could take it out and leave it home... But I love the flip up table by the door!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The sink cover is in the closet, hasn't come out in three years. Guess I could take it out and leave it home... But I love the flip up table by the door!
Ditto on that also. Only I don't even know where ours is.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
More dittos. I think that it's the last thing my wife would omit.

Ron
Strong language. Maybe I should reconsider.

Anyone have a custom sink or feel like you'd like more than the 5" depth of the stock sink?
Old 01-24-2018, 01:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
sink

One of the first mods I did was to get rid of the shallow sink and install a larger deeper sink in our 21. We had owned a Casita Indy. which really has no counter space. We found a rubber coated steel wire rack, I think it is used as a sink protector. The rack was larger than the sink laid on top of the sink and the and the feet sat just inside the sink holding it in place. You could use it as a prep area to set bowls on and still run the water if needed. (Kind of like a large cake rack on top of your sink)
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:56 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post

Anyone have a custom sink or feel like you'd like more than the 5" depth of the stock sink?
Ohhh yeah! Lots of us.
Attached Thumbnails
Sink_TenForward.jpg  
Old 01-24-2018, 02:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ohhh yeah! Lots of us.
This is the sink I'm considering, simply bc someone told me about it. Which one do you have? I'll choose btwn the two.

Sorry for the ugly link, if someone tell me how I'll make it shorter

https://m.lowes.com/pd/HOUZER-Crista...SABEgJucPD_BwE

Edit: OK never mind the link didn't come out as bad as it looked on entry
Old 01-24-2018, 02:23 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
We have that sink and it is working out great. The extra depth is especially nice. If you get it from a Canadian source, you do not have to hassle with shipping so much and paying duty if you are sending it to ETI.

Z
Old 01-24-2018, 02:24 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
This is the sink I'm considering, simply bc someone told me about it. Which one do you have? I'll choose btwn the two.
Unfortunately, the sink I have ETI will no longer install. That's due to the sink faucet being on top of the rim of the sink.

However, if you wish to see a lot of others, check out the It's Friday threads. Oh my, lots of different ones. You'll need to cruise through a lot of build pictures, but that's fun too!

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...yond-8031.html

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...sics-3244.html
Old 01-24-2018, 02:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahuta View Post
We have that sink and it is working out great. The extra depth is especially nice. If you get it from a Canadian source, you do not have to hassle with shipping so much and paying duty if you are sending it to ETI.

Z
Any direction as to a good Canadian source?
Old 01-24-2018, 03:03 PM   #15

Can I not have the Houzer I linked above shipped to ETI? I can't find it on the Lowe's canada site
Old 01-24-2018, 03:11 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Can I not have the Houzer I linked above shipped to ETI? I can't find it on the Lowe's canada site
That's pretty common. The products offered in the U.S. and Canada are often different, from any retailer operating in both countries. Some retailers are happy to ship across the border, while others direct you to their operation in the other country.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:47 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I ordered the same Houzer sink and just brought it up with me to Escape along with a custom faucet and sink drain. Although I brought the sink in its original box as checked baggage, I can tell you that the sink is very well packed and you shouldn't have any problem if you ship it. These sinks are made in Germany and are actually shipped from Houzer in New Jersey.
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Any direction as to a good Canadian source?
We purchased ours from Wayfair.ca We received a merchant discount from them by purchasing it through my business.

There are sometimes difficulties with shipping across the border. With our fabric, we had to repackage it and send it usps because shippers would not take it without charging a premium and an additional charge for getting it across the border. Then we had to pay duty on it which was paid for by ETI and added to our bill.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiki724 View Post
I ordered the same Houzer sink and just brought it up with me to Escape along with a custom faucet and sink drain. Although I brought the sink in its original box as checked baggage, I can tell you that the sink is very well packed and you shouldn't have any problem if you ship it. These sinks are made in Germany and are actually shipped from Houzer in New Jersey.
What made you get a custom drain?

Are the sinks mounted as a drop in or undermount?
Old 01-24-2018, 04:08 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
All Escape sinks are drop in. I splurged on a heavy duty $80 Kohler drain in brushed stainless to match the faucet.
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote