21' taller coat closet - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2014, 10:22 PM   #21

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
I am not sure of the exact dimensions in the 21 or the 19 (our trailer has gone to winter storage--sniff). But we are able to hang shirts, jackets, etc in the 21 closet. It is a little tight, especially since we found that the closet floor is just the right size to hold our 24" tv while driving.

All that said, we had an awful lot of space in the refrigerator for just the two of us. Maybe it is because we were so used to the 3 cubic foot fridge in the 17. If I had to do it over again, I would be awfully tempted to see if I could order a smaller fridge, have the microwave over the fridge, and get a taller closet. Then, if I were really enterprising, I would order some sort of a divider from Charlie that would go over the TV (which lays face down on a mat on the closet floor), which would separate the coats from the TV, so I could get it out easily. But we didn't think of that, and we are happy to live with things as they are.

Leon
Leon, It is interesting how we all have different needs. We have always wanted a bigger fridge than our 4.3 but have no need at all for a coat closet. Our coats lay out on the bed or over the TV items. Out coat closet is now a pantry with pull out drawers. It is great that we are able to customize our spaces for our individual needs!

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
So I have both in my 5.0TA. But all those years of Scamp ownership and having a hanging closet... what? I need place to hang a "prom dress.? Of all the storage I've had over the years, "hanging" space is not one of them I've been concerned/worried about.

BUT, I have camped with good people that attended church on Sundays of an egg gathering. And those people wanted to dress for that occasion. They wanted hanging space for those clothes... I respect that.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:42 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't go to church and have never been invited to a prom - and I don't fold clothes. So, grabbing a few wrinkled shirts on hangers and stuffing them in the wardrobe works for me.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:54 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
One way to increase hanging length in a 21 is to move the rod up; ours was about 2 inches lower than it needed to be; jeans and jackets fit fine (and I'm tall.) I moved ours when I shelved the side of the closet. The top of the vertical white rails the drawer shelves are mounted to is 36 inch off the cabinet floor in this pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Drawers.jpg  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:57 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Agree with Leon, we have plenty of room to hang our coats and shirts, plus I have a hanging shoe rack and a basket in the bottom for maps, magazines, etc. Might put in shelves like Tom and Charlie, wanted to camp in it for awhile and see how we use the space. I like the little shelf above the microwave - I use it for cookware. We also love the big frig.

Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
One way to increase hanging length in a 21 is to move the rod up; ours was about 2 inches lower than it needed to be; jeans and jackets fit fine (and I'm tall.) I moved ours when I shelved the side of the closet. The top of the vertical white rails the drawer shelves are mounted to is 36 inch off the cabinet floor in this pic.
Thanks that a good suggestion I am going to have to a look on my 19 to see if I can do the same.

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:01 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
I am not sure of the exact dimensions in the 21 or the 19 (our trailer has gone to winter storage--sniff). But we are able to hang shirts, jackets, etc in the 21 closet. It is a little tight, especially since we found that the closet floor is just the right size to hold our 24" tv while driving.

All that said, we had an awful lot of space in the refrigerator for just the two of us. Maybe it is because we were so used to the 3 cubic foot fridge in the 17. If I had to do it over again, I would be awfully tempted to see if I could order a smaller fridge, have the microwave over the fridge, and get a taller closet. Then, if I were really enterprising, I would order some sort of a divider from Charlie that would go over the TV (which lays face down on a mat on the closet floor), which would separate the coats from the TV, so I could get it out easily. But we didn't think of that, and we are happy to live with things as they are.

Leon

Yes, that refrigerator looks so big. Some people have opted for the smaller with microwave above. I wonder how you can get jackets and shirts in that closet since it is so much shorter but since you can, that's good. And even a big TV. Might wrap the TV in a small rug.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Good idea to move the rod up.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
Agree with Leon, we have plenty of room to hang our coats and shirts, plus I have a hanging shoe rack and a basket in the bottom for maps, magazines, etc. Might put in shelves like Tom and Charlie, wanted to camp in it for awhile and see how we use the space. I like the little shelf above the microwave - I use it for cookware. We also love the big frig.

Kathie

Maybe our rod is low. Will have to look next time as our jacket and shirt lengths barely fit, I thought. There could be more room than I think.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:41 AM   #30

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We use a skinny hanging shoe organizer in our closet which leaves room for shirts and such. (Tend to hang our jackets on our Umbra hook which is on the wall by the bathroom.) I also found a rectangular ice cube bucket which fits perfectly on the little shelf at the back of the closet to hold misc items. One option I wish we would have gotten is a drawer under our closet.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:55 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Having owned both models I believe volume wise, both closets are the same with the 21' being wider and the 19' narrower. That said you can hang clothes in the 21' and most will hang freely. Larger winter coats maybe an issue, but two of them would fill the 19' closet also, so do you want width or height?
Old 10-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape 21
Cathy, as you might recall when you looked at our 21 recently, we added the extra wardrobe over the three drawers. I will try to post a picture later today. We love having the two wardrobes/pantry/closets. We added shelves in both as we typically don't have hanging clothes with us, and we added umbra hooks on the bathroom wall for jackets/coats.
tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:45 AM   #33

Trailer: 2014 21ft Escape
We have the 21' and my clothes hang fine in the closet. We opted for the bar across instead of shelves. I hang jackets, shirts, pants, they fit fine. We put a plastic 4 drawer thingy from Walmart that we put a few unmentionables into. I also have more space in back of hanging clothes for a few bags and my broom.

Robbie
trailseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:49 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tash View Post
Cathy, as you might recall when you looked at our 21 recently, we added the extra wardrobe over the three drawers. I will try to post a picture later today. We love having the two wardrobes/pantry/closets. We added shelves in both as we typically don't have hanging clothes with us, and we added umbra hooks on the bathroom wall for jackets/coats.
Yes, Cheryl, thank you so much for showing us your 21'! Too bad we had so much rain. What a great farm your parents have. And your 21' has beautiful graphics and counters and more.

You have the best cubby holes above the bed and others by the bath that I know are very useful. I remember the extra closet you added above the drawers giving you even more closet space. That is really nice. Expensive? Umbra hooks look so good and I wondered if perhaps some people were putting their jackets on them, and you are. Some are saying they can fit jackets in the closet which I would have never thought, looking at the difference in height. That's good to know.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Here is a picture of our 21 closet with drawers and about 8" of hanging space (if I remember right). I moved our rod up and back, but I don't remember by how much. Moving it up was for jacket length, and moving it back was for access to the drawer locks I installed. If the rod isn't moved back, there's excess room behind our jackets.

I also mounted an electrical box at the rear of the closet to charge and mount the small vacuum we travel with, but as it turns out, there really wasn't enough room for the vacuum and coats. Oh well, had to try.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_4569.jpg  
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #36

What drawer locks are you talking about?
Old 10-28-2014, 03:14 PM   #37

Hi Jim, If you look real close to the right side of each drawer, you should see an allen head bolt. I drilled through the drawer mounts and into the drawer itself. Without some kind of locking mechanism, the drawers will slide out during travel. I'm pretty sure I showed them to you at the gathering, but there were so many things to look at there. I used the same locking method on the drawer I put under the sink.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #38

Okay, yes I remember now, I thought you were referring to the drawers outside the closet, to the right, not the left inside (not the new ones you installed), my bad and yes I remember those, nice job.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:30 PM   #39

Hi Jim, I used the same locking method on the drawer below the sink. Maybe those pictures would be easier to see the locks.
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_4563.jpg   SAM_4564.jpg   SAM_4568.jpg  
Old 10-28-2014, 06:23 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Where do you get those drawers? I'd like to install one or two
sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote