21C or 21NE - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2021, 09:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
21C or 21NE

Hello,

Planning to move from a 17B to a 21C or 21NE.

Leaning toward the 21C, but looking for opinions of owners who have one or the other.

21C - I like that we may not have to crawl over each other as much to get into and out of bed. Thinking I would rather have the 6" plus corner cut difference than my partner crawling over me to get up.

Seems to have more closet/drawer space and cubby at the bathroom door swing

Longer kitchen cabinet in the 21C

Anyone have a 7 cu.ft. refrigerator?

Opinions welcome. Thank you.
pacificc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 10:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Like you we went from a 17B to a 21. Rear dinette a non- negotiable and the counter space is pretty amazing in th 21C. Has the largest wet bath of any Escape as well. It's almost like coming out of the closet to say we have separate bunks to sleep, yet for us the rear dinette- with Springfield and 3" Latex topper is so nice who needs a crawl over Queen? Not us.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:59 AM   #3

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
What about the narrow 54" wide bed with the bottom corner cut off and walls on both sides on the 21C? The 21NE has a 60" wide bed. Granted "the crawl over" is required but the extra 6" width and one open side seems appealing to us.

We go back and forth. Especially whether a rear dinette or a rear bead for privacy/quiet.

We're hoping to see a 21C and a 19 soon to get a feel.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:47 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 21NE
We chose the 21NE. We saw a 21C from an Ambassador and the bed just isn't big enough. As well it feels too closed in. I am the one who gets out of bed during the night, so I will sleep on the outside of the Queen bed in the 21NE. No "crawl over" issue for us. Also, we eliminated the 2 burner cooktop and opted for a full counter. We will be using a portable induction cooktop. It doesn't produce heat like the open flame of a propane cooktop. Our trailer will be ready Sept 2!
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:48 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
What about the narrow 54" wide bed with the bottom corner cut off and walls on both sides on the 21C? The 21NE has a 60" wide bed. Granted "the crawl over" is required but the extra 6" width and one open side seems appealing to us.

We go back and forth. Especially whether a rear dinette or a rear bead for privacy/quiet.

We're hoping to see a 21C and a 19 soon to get a feel.
Even though Escape’s specs say the 19 and 21NE have a 60 inch wide mattress it’s really only 58 inches. Years ago they got so many complaints about how difficult the mattress was to get fitted sheets on and people started asking for a narrower mattress as an option. They just made the mattress 58 inches as a standard.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:42 AM   #6

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
We chose the 21NE. We saw a 21C from an Ambassador and the bed just isn't big enough. As well it feels too closed in. I am the one who gets out of bed during the night, so I will sleep on the outside of the Queen bed in the 21NE. No "crawl over" issue for us. Also, we eliminated the 2 burner cooktop and opted for a full counter. We will be using a portable induction cooktop. It doesn't produce heat like the open flame of a propane cooktop. Our trailer will be ready Sept 2!
Great Idea on the Induction Cooktop!!!!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:09 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21 NE
We got the 21NE because I'm just not comfortable with the smaller bed. If that's not an issue, either will work well.
GregColdewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:27 AM   #8

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
We are really happy with our new 21NE with the double dinette option. Instead of the built in queen bed Escape built a 2nd dinette in back. This gives the trailer a spacious feel when both ends are in the dinette mode. We can sleep at either end. We prefer the dinette in the rear. Sleeping at the front end lessens the crawl over issue & makes it easier to get in and out of the bed since the opening is 51" wide instead of 35" for the rear dinette/bed. Both dinettes/beds are 60" instead of the 48" in the 21C. Sherminator was the first to do this with a 21NE and has posted photos and comments.
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 12:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
I think the decision should be made on what best fits your needs. We chose the 21NE because we often bring along our two granddaughters and/or camp with other family members, making large sitting & sleeping spaces important to us. We do not forsee ourselves full-timing, so storage was of less importance. However, if it was just two of us, especially if we were contemplating full-timing, we would choose the 21C hands down.
The 21C offers way more storage, a lot more kitchen counter space, and a larger bathroom, all of which would be more impotant for long term use. But that's not our mode. We love having two large spaces with sleeping & sitting options at both end (we have a double dinette as mentioned above), and find that we have adequate storage for four for a week or two. The kitchen is large enough to make meals as long as you actively manage your use of space. We are very happy with our choice.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 02:05 PM   #10

That's my problem. The NE only has 36" of space to get into and out of the bed. I have a knee that doesn't bend well, but like the idea of 6" more.

More counter space and a bigger bathroom in the C are appealing.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:07 PM   #11

We would share the bed since he sleeps longer than I do. I need the dinette for something to do while he sleeps. But, I like your idea!
Old 06-29-2021, 02:08 PM   #12

Hadn't thought about an induction cooktop! Does it plug in?

Wish I could see the C and NE in person.

Enjoy your new trailer.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:11 PM   #13

I usually go out for 1-3 weeks with friends. I like having easy storage/closet space. If the trailer works out visiting grandkids, I would sell my RV, but they don't sleep over. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:14 PM   #14

I had not heard of that option. I will look for photos. Thank you.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:27 PM   #15

One reason for the 21C I haven’t seen mentioned already is that when you back into a campsite, the view is usually in the back which is nice with a rear dinette. The longer countertop and bigger bathroom are also advantages for us. The disadvantage of the smaller bed is offset by the ease of access for two people.
edlynnrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 02:27 PM   #16
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Hello pacificc, The 21NE was not available yet when we purchased our 21C, 2 years ago, but even back then the biggest deciding factor for us was the no-crawl-over bed. At home we sleep on a Cal King bed so we were originally concerned that the bed in a 21C might not be big enough, but once we were physically able to check one out, we realized it was totally fine. DH is 6'1" and I am 5'8" so I get the shorter side- no problem. Works for us! Hopefully, there are ambassadors around you in Oregon that can show you their 21C and/or 21NE to help you determine which layout is best for you. Really does help to see one in person...

As for the dinette, we are also huge fans of the rear dinette because we like to go to places that have (usually ocean) views out the back. Some folks here however, much prefer the dinette in the front for the front views, so think about where you like to camp and which way you prefer looking out. If I were ordering the 21NE today, I would do like Sherminator did and order both sides as dinettes so either (or both) sides could be made into a bed. In our 21C, I like how our bed has a nice permanent mattress in the front and transitions to a nice couch in the daytime when others (usually our sons) join us.

I absolutely love the big counter prep space for cooking the 21C, but I could also see myself being just as content cooking in the 21NE - just a little bit smaller. The bigger bed and bigger dinette are good trade-offs in the 21NE. The only question I would have is, can you order a stove w/oven AND a microwave in the 21NE?? I've not seen a picture of a 21NE with both. Not sure if you want both of these items, but if you do, then maybe someone else here or the factory can confirm if both can be installed in the 21NE?? I have both and use both a lot in our 21C.

We have the 6 cu fridge. Both the fridge and freezer feel ginormous! Packed it full for our 4 week road trip recently and only had to find a grocery store for milk and perishables once. Amazing.

One other difference in these 2 models, not mentioned here yet is the black tank size. This was brought up in another thread so don't quote me but I think the 21NE's black tank is around 13 gal and the 21C is 22 gal. If this is true and you like to go 'off grid' - one more thing to think about.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your decision - can't go wrong with either, IMHO. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 02:48 PM   #17

Great help, thank you.

How do you make a couch out of the bed? I was trying to figure out how I could do that.

Yes, larger holding tanks would be best!

I would rather look out the back, too!
Old 06-29-2021, 02:51 PM   #18

I'm going to try a double size bed in the house with Ron and see if it could work. A longer countertop is attractive to me. Thank you.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:55 PM   #19

The mattress size is good to know. Thank you.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:56 PM   #20

Thank you. We are going to lay down on a double size bed (54") and see if we think it will work.

Tags
21c 21ne