4Runner as tow vehicle for 19' - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2015, 07:25 AM   #81

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My Dodge Ram has the 5.7 Hemi and it can roar if needed. But I decided on the non turbo 5.7 vs the 3.0 turbo diesel for a lot of the reasons listed here. Having had turbos in the past during the gas crunches they make a smaller motor think it is bigger, but they are expensive to replace. My other Ram had a Hemi with 5 sppeed and I got 12 mpg, towing or not, it did not make any difference. But what turned me on to the newer one is the 8 speed which enables me to achieve close to 15 mpg towing and 20 mpg unhitched. I can cruise at 1800 rpm while towing and never exceed 3,000 over the mountains, I'm not working my engine half as hard as the turbos are.
It seems some European manufacturers are doing the gear changes versus turbos to achieve parity.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:54 AM   #82

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
We just saw off our home stay folks in their car and trailer. They are off to the mountains off Austria and Italy. The trailer has the same dimensions as the 19 in all but height and weighs 2100 lb. dry. It has a toilet and shower etc. They pull with a small Volvo 4 cylinder diesel car not sold in North America. They do not exceed 100km in speed
Old 09-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #83

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
In Germany you cannot exceed 80 km with a trailer. To be limited to 100km you need certification. With certification you get a 100 sticker to display on the back of your trailer.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #84

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My Dodge Ram has the 5.7 Hemi and it can roar if needed. But I decided on the non turbo 5.7 vs the 3.0 turbo diesel for a lot of the reasons listed here. Having had turbos in the past during the gas crunches they make a smaller motor think it is bigger, but they are expensive to replace. My other Ram had a Hemi with 5 sppeed and I got 12 mpg, towing or not, it did not make any difference. But what turned me on to the newer one is the 8 speed which enables me to achieve close to 15 mpg towing and 20 mpg unhitched. I can cruise at 1800 rpm while towing and never exceed 3,000 over the mountains, I'm not working my engine half as hard as the turbos are.
It seems some European manufacturers are doing the gear changes versus turbos to achieve parity.
I have almost the identical truck as Jim and I can tow in tow haul mode at around 1700 RPM's doing 60 to 62 MPH. The biggest proplem with the Ram truck as Jim so eloquently stated is " The truck can tow anything but carry nothing" (Paraphrasing). To me turbos are a great way to increase horsepower but not engine life.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #85

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Having just come from a ten day trip that featured double digit grades and some noteable cross winds, I can say I had a comfortable pull.

Love my V8 roar but hard to imagine my next tv not having a turbo. Ram 1500 due for update in 2017my so will be interesting to see their gas engine choices.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:05 PM   #86
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I wasn't really concerned about engine durability with the 2.7L Ecoboost. They've done some tried and true things to address that. Gearing is such that you can tow my 19 most of the time at highway speeds and still keep it under 2000 rpm. Unlike the 3.5L Ecoboost and all the non-turbo Ford engines, the block is compacted graphite-iron aluminum alloy - similar to the makeup of turbo diesel engines which have been used and proven durable for high mileage. Many internal components use a different material as well, in order to give the 2.7L more durability even with lower displacement. The Borg Warner twin turbos they use are the top of the line. In the end however, I just love the way it drives and tows.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #87

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
My other Ram had a Hemi with 5 sppeed and I got 12 mpg, towing or not, it did not make any difference. But what turned me on to the newer one is the 8 speed which enables me to achieve close to 15 mpg towing and 20 mpg unhitched. I can cruise at 1800 rpm while towing and never exceed 3,000 over the mountains, I'm not working my engine half as hard as the turbos are.
That 8-speed transmission is a European design by ZF, built under license in Indiana by Chrysler.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:45 AM   #88

Trailer: 2015 19" -Are we there yet?-
4Runner works

Just got back from a 3,500 mile long trip. Left from Los Angeles to Canada, Canada to Idaho, Idaho to Zion national park and then back to LA. The 4Runner performed very well through mountain passes, weather, etc. Glad I chose it as my toe vehicle.
-e
erikcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #89

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikcampbell View Post
Just got back from a 3,500 mile long trip. Left from Los Angeles to Canada, Canada to Idaho, Idaho to Zion national park and then back to LA. The 4Runner performed very well through mountain passes, weather, etc. Glad I chose it as my toe vehicle.
-e
Hi: erikcampbell... Good trip!!! You're not the first Escape owner to "Toe the line". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:39 PM   #90

Trailer: 2015 19" -Are we there yet?-
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: erikcampbell... Good trip!!! You're not the first Escape owner to "Toe the line". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
"Toe" dang it!!!! Lol
erikcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:49 PM   #91

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
We got a Jeep Grand Cherokee and discussed whether or not to get the V6 or V8. We ended up getting the V6 with 8 speed transmission. We cruise at about 1800 rpm and don't exceed 4000 rpm over the mountains, so we work it harder than the V8 would. However, we get about 17 mpg in the city and 25 mpg on the highway when not towing, and a remarkable 17 mpg all the time when towing our 19. With the 25 gallon fuel tank, we can go a long time between gas stations. I am very happy with it and we are not sorry we got the V6. The diesel turbo was just hitting the market when we bought, and I don't buy new things the first year they are out. We did buy the new transmission but as pointed out, it is new to Chrysler but not new design. I also didn't like the idea of a turbo and am happy with our non-turbo V6 which has more HP than older V8s did.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:11 PM   #92

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That v-6 Pentastar engine is one of Ward's top recommended motors.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:25 PM   #93

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
I am very happy with it and we are not sorry we got the V6. The diesel turbo was just hitting the market when we bought, and I don't buy new things the first year they are out. We did buy the new transmission but as pointed out, it is new to Chrysler but not new design. I also didn't like the idea of a turbo and am happy with our non-turbo V6 which has more HP than older V8s did.
The Ram EcoDiesel is actually the VM Motori L630, used in the Grand Cherokee and other vehicles since 2011 in Euro-emissions form and called the A630... but it is new to North America, with U.S./Canada legal emission controls. If you want one for a money-is-no-object custom project, Banks also sells it as the 630T.

I agree that the relative simplicity of a non-turbocharged engine - especially a proven one - is attractive.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote