5.0 Build - Have To Think Fast! U Shape Dinette or Not? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2018, 08:40 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
All of this information is shown on the Escape website under the .pdf files for standard measurements and layouts....notice the 21 and 5.0 measurements are almost identical....
Old 08-03-2018, 08:40 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
We are debating the same issue. What are the dimensions of the table top for the standard dinette and the U shaped dinette in the 5.0. They are not on the Escape website. There are table top measurements listed for the 21. Are they the same for the 5.0?
almost identical...
Old 08-03-2018, 09:02 AM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
According to the PDFs of measurements:
5.0TA: Dinette Table 35 ½” W x 46” L x 29” H
21: Dinette Table 34”W x 45 ½”L x 30”H

No U-shape dinette table shown
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
We got the u-shape dinette in our 5.0TA last year. The biggest regret I have is not getting the rear bench built a few inches deeper...just got a 12" filler board. I saw later that someone else had ETI deepen the bench and we think that would work better for us. We don't use the table and like to sit angled in the corners...std rear cushion too narrow, 12" filler too wide. We prefer the look of the u-shape and overall are glad we got it.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Thanks. This is very helpful. I like the cardboard cutout idea.

I have poured over the pdf measurements on the Escape site for the 19, 21 and 5.0. They are very helpful but there are a few inconsistencies such as the item above and aisle width is shown for the 19 but omitted for the 21 and 5.0.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:51 AM   #26

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
We have the U dinette in our SA 5.0 and quite frankly you can't use the back seat to comfortably seat adults, it would be OK for a child but that's it. But, having said that I love it. First, it gives the area a more "cozy and inviting" feeling. Second, you can slouch in the corner and stretch your legs on the back bench right under the table and over to the other side and have a bit of a snooze. I do this all the time when on the road and need 40 winks to stay alert.

The table is quite a bit smaller so I added a flip up leaf to the back of the table for when I do need a bigger surface. I also added a Springfield single pedestal with metal drawer guides on the table so that it can be pushed right back, so the front of the table is level with the front of the pedestal, for really easy access to the area but it also can be pushed right forward for the times I want to lounge. This arrangement doesn't allow for me to push the table down and use the area as a bed but as it is just my wife and me it works for us.
Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:19 PM   #27
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
U-shaped Dinette

We debated the two dining area configurations a fair bit, too. We tried out both at Escape, and found that the standard dinette was harder to get into with two people sitting at it- you had to push the larger table a fair bit into the other person to get out and we are pretty fit individuals. It depends on your camping style too- we almost always sit outside at the provided picnic table by campgrounds or in our camping chairs, so using the area for functional dining and a workspace wasn't as important. We opted for the u-shaped dinette and plan to use it more as a lounging space. If you always eat inside and use the table as a work space, the standard dinette may be a better option for you. We also travel mostly in the fair weather months, but I would imagine if we were travelling more in cooler temperatures, we'd want the table space.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:59 PM   #28

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
On Monday we decided to cover all our bases before buying our 21'. We looked at a 5.0 and were smitten by the queen bed, no weight distribution needed, no worry about sway, and more storage among other things. On Monday afternoon we switched our build to a 5.0 and let them know if a build date came up sooner than December let us know. This morning I called in with some questions and were told we could have an October 30 build if we wanted, but had to finalize our build by next Tuesday. We need to think fast!

We'd been working on our build for the 21' so we have most of it done, but can't decide between the standard vs the u-shape dinette. We don't have animals, so that's not an issue. Does anyone regret the u-shaped dinette?

I would prefer ONLY those with a u-shape dinette answer, but know some just can't help themselves.

Enjoy,

Perry
Thanks for asking this question, we are mulling over the same thing on our 21, although at lease we still have a month to figure it out.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:01 PM   #29

Trailer: 2011 Escape 5.0 single-axle
We'd been working on our build for the 21' so we have most of it done, but can't decide between the standard vs the u-shape dinette. We don't have animals, so that's not an issue. Does anyone regret the u-shaped dinette?

2011 5.0 SA: back seat under window is pretty useless for seating. The real problem is lack of legroom due to two support posts. Ours has all the electrical under the rear section. If all that were shifted to the passenger side, and the table was cantilevered with diagonal supports, that would be my ideal arrangement.
BTW most of the truck bed is still useable for chairs, bbq, table, canopy, etc.
AdobeMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:09 PM   #30

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
One can have Escape make the bench under the window wider. We had that done on our 21 that we are picking up on Sept 7th
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:49 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 21' 2016
OK, we, too, have the U-shaped dinette, and I
agree about the narrow back cushion, but I would rather have that than having to sit upright all the time in the std bench dinette.

HOWEVER, one thing I would have have liked done is to have the two back bench cushions cut in half. It’s a pain to lift up the two very LONG back cushions. I do store things back there, i.e., winter clothes, etc. Just my HO.
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Carla Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:51 PM   #32

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
One can have Escape make the bench under the window wider. We had that done on our 21 that we are picking up on Sept 7th
You're having the rear bench for the u-shape dinette under the rear window made wider or having the two benches on the sides made wider? We wish the side benches were wider.

Thanks,

Perry
Old 08-08-2018, 12:54 PM   #33

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
We have the U-Shape, and have never used our table.....Not even once!
We have a 12” filler board with cushion and used this configuration for about a year. We have since replaced the filler board with the tabletop in the ‘down position ‘ and keep the dinette area in the bed configuration. We have two wedge pillows for backrests and are able to recline with our legs up. Next best thing to a Lazyboy

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Jean View Post
OK, we, too, have the U-shaped dinette, and I
agree about the narrow back cushion, but I would rather have that than having to sit upright all the time in the std bench dinette.

HOWEVER, one thing I would have have liked done is to have the two back bench cushions cut in half. It’s a pain to lift up the two very LONG back cushions. I do store things back there, i.e., winter clothes, etc. Just my HO.
If I remember correct, there is only one access lid on the rear and I was able to open with the back cushion against the wall and just remove the bottom long cushion, or 2 in your case. I'm sure they can cut the cushions in as many pieces you want for extra cost. But I think the dimensions of the "U" back and sides are more or less fixed and not open to change except maybe an inch or two, again for an upcharge to hand cut each piece vs assembling one from precut pieces.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I have a 5.0 and a U shaped dinette area. I totally agree with Jim "What I don't like is that it is not great for 4 people. The back seat is too narrow to be useful, and sitting side by side the rearward person has to sit at an angle because there is not enough foot room due to the rear bench. Also when we sit together on one side to watch a movie it would sure be nice to have good leg room for both of us."
On a positive note for the U shaped: the back U part of the bench allows for storage on the cushions such as computers, blankets, etc.
If I had to do it all over again I probably would not get the U shape. Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:52 PM   #36

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Perry, we are having them widen the rear bench of the u-shaped dinette. Not sure if they will widen the side benches. Just give them a call and they will tell you what they can do
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Perry, we are having them widen the rear bench of the u-shaped dinette. Not sure if they will widen the side benches. Just give them a call and they will tell you what they can do

Where are your feet going to go? Why not just make it a bed?
Old 08-08-2018, 02:07 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I find there is little enough for room with the standard U-shaped dinette should 4 want to use it, let alone losing more. Why do you want to do this?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:26 PM   #39

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We have decided on the u-shape dinette. We don't have animals and never put up the dinette in our Bigfoot, instead made a big lounging area there. We will be getting two more seat pads for the table that will probably be permanent for our new lounging area. The table will have a Lagun mount, since we want the floor to be for storage. Plus, we have added counter extensions on each side for eating/drinking in our lounge area.

They are not going to cut-in/mount the solar controller, so I can install it in the rear dinette storage area. This will leave the storage area on the passenger side dinette with no electronics and we'll be able to use this without fear of hitting the electronics.

I wish to thank those who posted here, PM'd me, and/or talked on the phone.

Perry
Old 08-08-2018, 02:47 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
The battery box takes a bit of that space, just so you know.
The battery box is to the rear with the wooden tie down.
Attached Thumbnails
1C83EA08-B490-457D-A6A2-37A0C57F3AA2.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.0 build, u-shape dinette