5.0 or 19 decision again - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Question 5.0 or 19 decision again

I know this topic has been covered previously, but seeing how we are trying to make a decision between the 19 and 5.0 I thought I’d kick off the discussion again. Your experience and ideas have been helpful as we have lurked around the forum for the last few weeks. So here is the way my feeble brain is running now:

The plan is to retire in a couple of years and take some long trips, Alaska included. High in the mountains, or out in the desert. Bump it down some dirt roads to out of the way NF and NP campgrounds. (Toroweap is probably out of the question with either one. But I've talked myself out of a truck camper) We like to hike and bicycle and will probably mix in a few overnight backpack trips.
We both have camped nearly our entire lives, pulled a pop up for over 20 years, and really don’t like giving up tent sleeping. But the advantages of the Escape at my advanced age are compelling.

If there was no 5.0 we would have already ordered an Escape 19!

The permanent 80” bed is perfect for my 6’1” frame with size 11 feet. There were some problems with my feet on her side of the bed, when we rented a Big Foot truck camper with a 76” bed in Calgary last year.

The 19 has plenty of headroom.

The dinette has a nice size table, and room for a guest if the need arises.
Nice compact design, plenty of storage, yet more luxury than I ever expected.

The 5.0 has a wonderful floor plan in the same end to end length. Dividing the sleeping and eating areas is very nice. Even more luxury.

The 5.0 bed is 78” long. Probably long enough, but loosing that 2 inches is troublesome. I do like sleeping at window height in the 5.0. I like the skylight/vent over the bed.

Not sure I like giving up the bed of the truck. What if I finally finish the 1967 S-90 Honda project and want to take it to a vintage motorcycle rally? Or I want to go on a church mission trip and haul tools, and supplies, and my own bed and bath? Or I just want to protect the bikes on the Alaskan Highway? Throw the cross country skis in? Maybe there are kayaks in the future…

I think the 5.0 will be easier to back in to tree filled National Forest campsites, our preferred place to camp. But the 19, with the tandem axles, and its length is probably easier to back than the old shorter Coleman?

I’m over thinking this decision. Someone help us decide!!! I’d like to pick it up in July and time is running out!
SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Welcome aboard.
I too had considered both, as I am sure many other 19 and 5.0 owners have.

Bottom line, both are great trailers you will be happy with. If you first define how you would like to use it, then this might better help you make your decision.

For me it came down primarily to what I wanted as a tow vehicle. I wanted to use a vehicle that would fit well into all aspects of my wife's and my general use, as well as capably pull the trailer. I also looked at running around when camping, and how I would haul about my daily gear. This is where we opted for using an SUV. It has worked out great for us for use other than pulling a trailer, whereas a pickup would not have done so well. Hauling gear and people inside has been nice. When I picked out what SUV I wanted, I was not too keen on the third row seats, as I though seeing our kids have grown, we would not need them, and in fact have used them a bunch of times.

The 19 is also 4" wider which makes for a nicer aisle space.

We are canoeists, and could not bring one with the 5.0 without some major mods.

I really like the 5.0 for the bed orientation, and the towing characteristics of 5th wheel. The rear dinette can be nice in some campsites too.

As far as reversing goes, there is nowhere that a 5.0 can go, that I could not get my 19 into.

If Escape comes out with a larger 5th wheel trailer, especially a wider one. I would be definitely giving it a look.

No idea where Strongsville is, but if you could make it to a rally that had both, a side-by-side comparison would do you a world of wonders in making your decision.

But, like I said at the start, never one would be a wrong choice.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Where is Strongsville?

I'm always curious when I read a post where the poster is from. Maybe we could start posting City and State or City and Province.... for the curious.
Sounds to me like the 19' would work best for you SeldomSeen. It sounds like you need the truck bed space.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 15A
You can click on the persons name, ex. 'SeldomSeen' and then go to their 'Public Profile', then the 'About Me' portion. Most people have input where they are from. Some obviously chose not to input this information probably due to concerns about identity and possible issues with identity theft etc.
In this case Strongsville is in Ohio.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #5

Guess I better edit my profile. Strongsville, Ohio. A south suburb of Cleveland. I've managed to see both a 19 and a 5.0 but not side by side.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Personally, I carry a lot with my Tacoma (has a shell and racks) when I tow my 19. Look at what all you might bring along when you trailer camp. That will be the principle guide for your decision.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I have some expensive bicycles, I like being able to carry them inside my SUV. At the same time I also have a tandem and have not found a way to put that inside. I think Jim puts it most eloquenty.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you have not made up your mind by next September, there is a rally of Escapes planned in Niagara Falls, Canada with all kinds of Escape models.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I am sure those with 5.0's will have some good insight. Certainly a fifth wheel will always be a nicer tow than a tag trailer, however the I personaly have never towed a tag trailer that tows as nice as the 19Ft. I personaly would really miss the space in the box of the truck or in our case the back of the suv. I am also enjoying or should I say our daughter is enjoying the rear comfort of a suv.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you have not made up your mind by next September, there is a rally of Escapes planned in Niagara Falls, Canada with all kinds of Escape models.
Hi cpaharley, where can I find information on the rally in September?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #11

It was shown on Fiberglass RV for this year here: ON Sept 14-16, 2012: Niagara Wine Escape 2012 - Fiberglass RV
Alf, a member here is the ring eager but he has not posted the 2013 dates yet. Normally in mid September.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #12

Thanks for the great advice and ideas everyone. My wife and I are spending a lot of time talking to each other about this. Nobody else understands!!!

Ron showed me his 19 here in Ohio, then we drove up to Ontario to see Alf and his Escape Hatch. The border guard on the way home really did'nt want to believe that we drove 250 miles to spend an hour or so looking at a trailer....I explained that its a special trailer.

Hey fudge_brownie are those road bikes or mountain bikes you are hauling around?

Your ideas are great. We hope to get one or the other on order soon.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: SeldomSeen... A big part of my preference for the 5.0 stems from the fact there's no bending or kneeling required to hitching up. It's all at waist hight. The older I get the more waist I have...and my knees doeth protest!!! Yes it is a positive tow... you have to keep reminding yourself that's a trailer back there.
Depending on which truck in the F150 line, 2dr. or 4dr. short box you get the hitch can be viewed thru the cab window. Personally I prefer the full 4dr. pickup for versatility.
Too bad it was so cold out that we didn't spend any time looking at the hitch part.
Aren't border guards supposed to view everyone with suspicion? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Normal turn.jpg   Ready to get hitched.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #14

Where are you?

Bruce, where is Pollock Pines?
Fudge, where is Janesville?
Dave McCrae, where is St. Albert?
Just curious.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #15

According to the map, Dave is near Edmonton, AB, Bruce is near Sacramento, Ca, Fudge is in Wisconsin--See the map works!!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
B....where is St. Albert?
I know, I know. We discussed this before.

This is where Alberta sends all the......well, lets just put in nicel......our socially divergent.
*runs and hides in bomb shelter*

But, they did send us Jarome Iginla.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #17

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Just to be clear , St.albert is suburb of Edmonton . Yes Jim there are some very socially divergent folks that live there.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #18

Methinks we have a few in Calgary too.
Even I was once falsely accused.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
J Mac- To be precise, Pollock Pines is in the upper Sierra Nevada foothills, halfway between Sacramento and South Lake Tahoe on Hwy 50.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #20

I just Googled Pollock Pines Bruce. Looks beautiful. I would have kept it secret too!!!