5.0 TA questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2014, 06:43 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5TA
5.0 TA questions

I am working through my build sheet and I am hung on the U shaped dinette. I do not understand the layout of it. It appears to occupy the same space as the regular dinette. If that is the case then you loose seating capacity on the sides, gain storage on the rear, and the table is smaller. Other than storage what is the benefit?
strawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:07 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I'm not sure but one may also lose leg/foot room in the "well." Someone will correct me if I'm wrong here but there's only so many cubic feet down there and it seems with an added back bench something would have to go .

I think it depends entirely on how one plans to use it. To me the large slider table (side-to-side) is one of the best inventions and makes ingress and egress so much easier--no more scooting. But if it is used primarily as a lounge area (not for dining or work), it has its appeal.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:38 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Y'all are correct in your assumptions. You lose foot space and gain storage space and lose the large table. Sleeping space stays the same.

I'm not even getting a table in my new 5er. This is my lounge area... swoon! I'm even getting an extra filler board and cushion to make the back bench wider. But, as a single traveler, my needs are different than a couple.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:03 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbarry View Post
Other than storage what is the benefit?
It is designed more for lounging like Donna wants, whereas the regular layout provides more efficient work area like Karen alluded to.

After touring two 5.0TA's, with both the layouts, for me the full dinette is the way to go (thought to be fair, I pretty much had my mind set already). We generally don't 'hang' in the trailer very much, and even when we would, it would suffice. We love the large table, as it gets used a lot for temporary storage, and provides a great work area.

I do like the storage the U-shape adds. It got me thinking to add something narrow for storage along the end wall in my regular dinette, while still allowing four sets of legs to comfortably dangle.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You will get tired of taking the larger table down for travel real quick, the smaller table in the "U" set up is more user friendly. In addition we took the table out and just used the small pop up tables on each side, made the area into a lounge area.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:50 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
I think not having the table and using the pop-up tables or as I called them when growing up "TV trays" is the way to go. Utilizing the dinette area as a lounge area makes perfect sense for us. Thanks for all the great help on this site!!
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #7

Jim,

Are you saying that the table has to be put down for travel?
Old 06-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #8

I had the larger table come off the legs a couple of times in my 19' so I just put it down while towing. It broke my master turn off switch which I replaced.
It has not happened to the smaller table I have now in the 21'. Remember the table in the 19 is up front whereas in the 5th and 21' it is in the rear, not sure this matters.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #9

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Quote:
Jim,

We don't. I just make sure it's locked in place so it can't slide.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
We love the standard dinette table and never take it down to travel. It locks in place so no problem. Lots of leg room, huge amount of table space. It all depends on how you are going to use it. We've also found there is enough room to put our feet up if we feel like lounging, watching a movie, etc. (You can also slide the table over far enough to 'walk' to the back for easy access to those cupboards.)

Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:34 PM   #11

Perhaps it was/is a front to back issue with me?
Old 06-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
...I'm not even getting a table in my new 5er. This is my lounge area... swoon! I'm even getting an extra filler board and cushion to make the back bench wider. But, as a single traveler, my needs are different than a couple.
First, would someone be kind enough to post pictures of a U-shaped dinette. I am not finding any pictures, but I may not be looking in the right place. Thanks.

Second, Donna a lounge area sounds quite interesting. If I understand you correctly, your filler board and cushion fills in the middle part of the "U" to make it more of a couch? Just trying to envision your solution vs. the dinette in a bed mode and am drawing a blank. Sorry.

We would prefer a love seat size/style recliner with wall mounted pull-up TV trays of some sort. I have not taken the time to measure how much space such a solution might require and I am not sure if it would fit through the door, but ... it seems more comfortable for those times when we have to stay indoors. And, I can sleep quite well in a recliner. Perhaps too well.
Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:36 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Burger, the filler board I'm getting is only a foot wide. The cushion is also 12" and goes side to side. So, the back wall is going to be 12" wider than normal (think twin bed against the back wall). Both the filler board and cushion can be removed and stowed. I AM getting the table and poles, just not mounted. I'll probably store both under the bed in my sticks 'n bricks home.

I asked Reace about leaving the entire back end blank (gotta find a place for everything stored under the dinette benches). He said, NO. The back end would get floppy without the supporting cabinets, etc.

Otherwise, I'd have no cabinets and no table, but my BARK-O-LOUNGER. Because, I too sleep better in a recliner than I do in a bed.

Here's MarksAlot's 19' u-shape build, second pic in this direct link: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...html#post55457
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Heavens, no. Ours has only travelled down a couple of times in over 5 years now, with no adverse effects at all. This includes travel on some pretty rough roads too. We rarely have need for it to be a bed though.

When I do have to take it down, it really is not too much trouble at all. I loosen both pedestals at the top first, remove the top, then the pedestals. Putting it back up is just the reverse. Can't take more than 30 seconds each way.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:06 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Berger... Here's a U Dinette pic. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20140603_173126.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:01 AM   #16

Trailer: Working on my build list
There have been several threads with photos. Here are two.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...un-2445-3.html

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...otos-2254.html

I recall one more from someone who got the u-shaped dinette but without the table so they had a great lounge area. I can't seem to find it but maybe you can.
WestEnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:37 AM   #17

and another one http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...un-2920-5.html
Old 06-18-2014, 05:25 AM   #18

Overhead vents

I would like to know the function of the three overhead vents? List fan or not for each, vent or not, & if just a light source or emergency exit. Can you add fans to them?
Old 06-18-2014, 06:07 AM   #19

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you mean the 3 on the floorplan drawing... The rear one is the AC if you have it, middle is the MaxxFan, the one over the bed is the emergency escape hatch which has a screen and cranks open for normal airflow. There is then the small one with a fan in the bath.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:11 AM   #20

I have been wrestling with this issue since seeing the new 5.0 TA at Osoyoos. Storage??
I'm on the fence about the 5.0 because of storage- where will one put all the stuff from the front storage box in the 5.0?- sewer and water and power cables and leveling blocks?
Where will one put all the stuff from under the bed, I have 3 large tupperware with grill and shoes and some chairs. What about what is in the tug, the bike and jack and air compressor?
There is plenty of inside storage in the 5.0 but outside