5.0TA Delivery Considerations - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2016, 08:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
5.0TA Delivery Considerations

So me being me, I decided to over-analyze things a bit more...I wasn't worrying enough I guess.

First, let me say that taking the huge, epic pilgrimage from one end the the continent to the other is still our first choice. It would give us the opportunity to see parts of the country we haven't seen, and probably won't again for the foreseeable future. Plus, who wouldn't love the 9,000 mile trip...? "99 bottles of soy milk on the shelf, 99 bottles of soy milk"

But then, if we do that, my vacation time and the money for camping opportunities after we get home will be limited. And who wants that?

So finally to my question. Your welcome. Have any of you had a 5.0TA delivered, and if so, what has been your experience? Any mishaps? I'd hate to have it fall off the flatbed or gouged with the lift and "oops, better have that looked at when you can!"

Also, I will most likely be getting the Andersen Ultimate Hitch. Would Escape have the setup all ready so that it will be at the correct height and whatnot, so we could hitch and drive?

Again, just getting opinions on the options. Thanks for any insight you might have!
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:32 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Well, I can't address the delivery aspect of your question, Nathan. However, I will ask you this. How much is everyone looking forward to seeing places they probably won't get to see again or for a very long time since you live clear across the country from those places? Do you think you'll make the trek to Yellowstone, Yosemite, Glacier, Rainier, the Badlands, Banff and all the other places on your list otherwise?

Do you think you'll get the time to head way back west again? If not, go for it now when you have a really good reason to do so.

And then, for the rest of the year, just do short trips much closer to home. I'm sure there's bunches of places nearby that you guys can explore. Or revisit.

Enjoy your decision making!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I second Laura. Just personally, if I had the opportunity and reason to pull off a ME to Chilliwack trip in June I'd be all over it. That's like one of the granddaddy bucket list trips, and you'd be back in ME for the fall leaf peeping local trips with your new trailer.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:47 PM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
And then, for the rest of the year, just do short trips much closer to home. I'm sure there's bunches of places nearby that you guys can explore. Or revisit.
I forgot to add: you can camp in your driveway! Or find a friend's driveway to camp in! Be bold, ask your friends and neighbors if you can camp in their driveway. You'll see new views - especially the different side of their house than you're used to seeing.

And best of all, it'll be cheap! Will that fit your budget?
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:50 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Had our delivered to MA. Trailer was pretty much set up the right height on delivery although I want to try dropping the pin box 2" as the trailer rides a bit high in front. Supposedly the trailer should be adjusted at the factory so it'll ride level when hitched, shouldn't matter which type of hitch you have.

At delivery, I had to have the hitch already installed.

Our only glitch was Dave's (delivery guy) usual truck was out of commission. Needed the help of a local farmer and his tractor to pull the trailer off the backup trucks deck. Wasn't a big deal other then it's your trailer by then, if it's damaged it's your problem to deal with. And of course it helps to have a friendly neighbor who's a farmer with a tractor, these guys can jury rig about anything.

I didn't have 3 weeks open to drive to the wet coast to get it. To me, not being a trucker, It'd be a long drive just to pick it up unless you have the time to turn it into a good long vacation.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:51 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had 2 Escapes delivered here on the East coast, both by Dave. Other than some road dirt the trailers are damage free as he has been doing this awhile and knows his job well. I contemplated having a new 5.0 delivered, but there is the hitch issue, you have to have it installed before hand and it has to be at the right height. A conventional trailer is easy to adjust, just get another stinger. But the 5th wheel set up is .
I plan on taking 2 friends and driving out non stop and then camp our way home. I'll have the hitch installed at Chilliwack and ETI will make sure it is proper.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:15 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
A quandary for certain. If you're like me you either have lots of time and no money or plenty of money but no time!

How about a bit of compromise? It will take some planning and trust... but hire someone to drive/ship your truck to ETI/border, then fly out and drive your trailer home at a bit more leisurely fashion. It may pinch a bit (either time or money)... just suggesting a different way to accomplish the same thing.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #8

Thanks everyone! We have the plan of taking a leisurely slow trip home, spending about 2 weeks to get back to Maine.

I guess my dilemma, or consideration is that with the delivery, I'm not keen on meeting in a parking lot somewhere, the trailer being unloaded and we standing there scratching our heads asking "now what?". Or if there is indeed some major problem with the trailer or the hitch and again, we are left asking "now what?" Granted, I imagine we could use our brains long enough to realize that's what God invented the iPhone for, but still...not as nice a thought of something being wrong and Escape being right there to solve the problem.

Another part of the reason we wanted to pick it up is that, quite frankly, we are tired of seeing the Maine landscape. I know there are lots of people who would love to come out this way and breath in the salty sea air, and bask in the cool ocean breezes, but for us, we want to see the huge rugged mountains, and breath some hot, dusty, wind-blown air. That's what is compelling us to contemplate the trip out, as it is one of those "once in a lifetime" things.

I was thinking of sending the Andersen pin adapter out to Escape if we go the delivery route, and have them install that and attach it to the trailer, so in theory, most of the hitch/height adjustment would be completed. If they would do that...

Thanks again for your opinions!
Old 03-10-2016, 08:44 AM   #9

re: Andersen, I was thinking the same. However Hitchmasters, which install ETI's hitch suggested that I buy the Andersen on Amazon, current price is $400 and take it on the way out. They can then install the rails and the Andersen together- something like $300 cn labour while you do your orientation at Escape which is nearby. Why pay to ship to Canada when Amazon will ship free to your home.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:48 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Nathan, not sure of your familiarity with travel trailers, and especially a fifth wheel, but there is not a lot of concern with it getting dropped off, and you hooking up and going. The likelihood of anything being wrong is very slim, and if there was something it would not be much trouble to take care of, I bet Escape would make certain you are taken care of.

I do wonder how the would load and unload the 5.0 though.

But, I am with most of the others, and think that picking it up might be a better way to go, even if it does use up all your annual holiday time and money. You can still head out on weekends doing short trips the rest of the year. The trip to Chilliwack and back would be a great experience.

I would bet that Escape would rather you just brought the Anderson hitch and kingpin coupler with you. It only takes a short while to install the coupler and adjust the heights to match your truck. I am assuming that you just have the hitch installed before you come, though you could just bring it loose and have the hitch place Jim referred to, to do it.

And you are right that I would love to come see Maine. One trip at the top of the bucket is an East Coast trip, taking in the Maritimes and NE states. This will only happen though once I have a few months to spare to do it though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:15 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Only the excitement of picking up your trailer is worth a thousand! Being able to do a trip across the country another thousand! Being healthy enough to still be able to do this a grand ten thousand!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:49 AM   #12

Thanks again!

As to Jim B's question of how familiar I am with trailers, we did own a Casita for 8 years and towed it many, many thousands miles. 2 trips down to Arkansas and back (it's called in-laws) 6 or so trips to PEI and back, and a trip to Disney world last year (which prompted us to sell the Casita and get something bigger). Throw in towing it all over New England for weekend outings, and we were very comfortable with the trailer and towing.

That being said, we have never towed a fifth wheel before, nor have we experienced delivery on a trailer. So that's where a small bit of uncertainty/fear crept in.

But it appears that the consensus is that delivery ain't no big deal, which is a relief. That means that we only have to decide on which way we will do things and the hitch (yeah, been reading the Andersen Ultimate Hitch thread. cpaharley now has confused company! )
Old 03-10-2016, 11:43 AM   #13

join the party....
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2016, 11:48 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Yay! Party time!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:06 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post

But it appears that the consensus is that delivery ain't no big deal, which is a relief.
That's an understatement. Considering the contrast between buying a trailer privately, kicking the tires, hooking up and going. Any info provided by the owner about towing it etc. may or may not be of value.

On the other hand, going to ETI and picking up gets you someone like Dennis who will make sure your hitch, whatever the type, is correctly installed and give you some info on using it. You get walked through all the systems and then in front of your eyes the trailer gets its' first shakedown on the trip across the border.

So, no, delivery ain't a big deal, it's a bonus.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:21 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
join the party....
Hi: cpaharley2008... "Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #17

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
I went to the factory and back to New Jersey in a months time last August. Hugging I-90 we got to see a lot of stuff, but not a lot of time to explore, but it was still a fun trip. I was 40, my wife turned 32, and our daughter was 12 at the time. We did about 7,000 miles. It wasn't the ideal time frame, but it broke the girls into camping, cause they had never been. The only really downside was the cost of lodging heading out West, which I under budgeted for.

I just had shoulder surgery from a fall at work, but if I'm clear to return to duty by July, my wife says she wants to see the Grand Canyon this Summer. If driving is your thing, I say go for it. I'm glad we did because I found two issues that needed to be addressed at the factory.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:40 PM   #18

Another observation, as pointed out by GringoandTica, is your health. A fall at work or home can incapacitate one for months, so health issues may change as we age. If healthy now, go for the brass ring as it may not be available next year.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:54 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Going to Chilliwack to pick up your trailer is a vacation in itself. Plus the fact that at ETI, everything is done to make sure you are hooked up properly and the orientation shows you the workings of your trailer. Our trip bringing the 21 back from Chilliwack is one of those great trips that we will remember fondly for a lifetime. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:45 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
So, now that we've all pretty much decided that you're going to Chilliwack to pick up your trailer, what route will you take?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote