5.0TA heading for Central Texas! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2015, 03:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 5.0 TA on the way
5.0TA heading for Central Texas!

The wife and I just put down our deposit for a 5.0TA with a pick-up date in Sept! Based on browsing the wish list of others on this excellent forum, I feel like I've already got a great start on the options we'll want to include.

We'll have to purchase new tow vehicle (darn....) because my Tacoma isn't cut out for the load. I'm thinking about the F150 with 2.7 Ecoboost or 2016 Toyota Tundra, if the diesel option is as good as the advance hype.

Fortunately, we don't have to hassle with financing, but I'm pondering crossing the border during a business trip to Seattle and opening a bank account in Canada. That way we can convert funds and "park" them there whenever we think the conversion rate will be most advantageous. Has anyone done this before?

Regards,

David (Scout)
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
TD is a Canadian bank that has expanded across the US in recent years. Suggest you look for a branch near you to facilitate opening a Canadian account and shift funds.

Try this: http://tdbanklocations.org/td-bank/texas/
Old 07-31-2015, 04:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
5.0TA heading for Central Texas!

Welcome David and congrats on your choice!

You're only about 90 miles north of us. Always great to see another Texan choose Escape. Trust me, we DO get noticed.

Haven't heard much about the new Tundra power plant, but what I have heard is very promising. But, we absolutely love our 2.7L Ecoboost F150. Tows our 19 like a dream. One other thing: while the Tacoma is a fine truck, once you've towed awhile, you'll appreciate the increase in interior space afforded by a full size truck. Having driven a Ranger for many years, the F150 was so much more comfortable on long trips.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
Fortunately, we don't have to hassle with financing, but I'm pondering crossing the border during a business trip to Seattle and opening a bank account in Canada. That way we can convert funds and "park" them there whenever we think the conversion rate will be most advantageous. Has anyone done this before?

Regards,

David (Scout)
David,
Welcome, and congratulations.
What about just sending ETI a check whenever the conversion rate is good. That's what we did. We had a total of three payments to them; Tammy gets almost the max rate for the day, with low fees, when she makes the deposit. Our net exchange rate since last November was about 1 USD for 1.23 Canadian. Now, you can do even better.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Analyst on news today predicting 73 cents soon.
See: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cana...come-1.3175761
Old 07-31-2015, 10:59 PM   #6

Glenn,

Thanks for the suggestion on TD in Texas. I'll definitely check this out.

I'm excited about the strength of the dollar and feel we're purchasing in a great timeframe. The problem with sending ETI a check is that, according to Barb in their front office, it take about a month to get there by snail mail and then more days until it clears.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:02 PM   #7

Robert,

I vicariously enjoyed your trailer and your journey home with you! I'm not sure we'll be able to put the same amount of time into our return trip, but I'd love to try. Sept/Oct should be a great time of year for the trip.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The rumoured new Tundra diesel power plant is the new Titan XD power plant - both Toyota and Nissan chose the new Cummins 5.0L V8. A big difference is that the Titan XD is definitely for sale later this year (as a 2016 model), and I don't think Toyota has even announced that they are actually going to build the diesel Tundra, let alone announce a date or details. Assuming David's 5.0TA will be ready in September 2016, there might be a Nissan/Toyota choice in diesels, but I wouldn't count on it.

Like the Cummins Ram engine, which is limited to lower power when sold as the ISB6.7 for medium-duty trucks, the 5.0 for pickup trucks is the lower-power ISV5.0 for medium-duty applications.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Welcome David and congrats on your choice!

Haven't heard much about the new Tundra power plant, but what I have heard is very promising. But, we absolutely love our 2.7L Ecoboost F150. Tows our 19 like a dream. One other thing: while the Tacoma is a fine truck, once you've towed awhile, you'll appreciate the increase in interior space afforded by a full size truck. Having driven a Ranger for many years, the F150 was so much more comfortable on long trips.
Robert,

I've been meaning to ask if you think if my Smart Car could tow the 5.0TA. I understand you're the resident expert on tow/trailer combo's.

Kidding, of course; Texas is no place for wind-up toys.

Regards,

D
Old 07-31-2015, 11:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The rumoured new Tundra diesel power plant is the new Titan XD power plant - both Toyota and Nissan chose the new Cummins 5.0L V8. A big difference is that the Titan XD is definitely for sale later this year (as a 2016 model), and I don't think Toyota has even announced that they are actually going to build the diesel Tundra, let alone announce a date or details. Assuming David's 5.0TA will be ready in September 2016, there might be a Nissan/Toyota choice in diesels, but I wouldn't count on it.
So, in my dream world, Toyota would have a 2016 diesel option that pushes mpg close to 30, and Ford would launch that 10-speed tranny to pair up nicely with the 2.7. However, I suspect you're right and both of those are at least a year later than I need.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:25 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
So, in my dream world, Toyota would have a 2016 diesel option that pushes mpg close to 30, and Ford would launch that 10-speed tranny to pair up nicely with the 2.7. However, I suspect you're right and both of those are at least a year later than I need.
Annnnd, in the meantime folks delay buying a ETI build because they're still expecting some perfect tug will happen...

You can ALWAYS make more money, you cannot MAKE more time...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:28 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Robert,

I've been meaning to ask if you think if my Smart Car could tow the 5.0TA. I understand you're the resident expert on tow/trailer combo's.

Kidding, of course; Texas is no place for wind-up toys.
I'm afraid I'm no expert on anything when it comes to towing, David. Anything I've learned has come from the veterans on this forum and others, as well as the school of hard knocks. Having said that, we have a setup which we think 'kicks butt'.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:37 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
Glenn,

Thanks for the suggestion on TD in Texas. I'll definitely check this out.

I'm excited about the strength of the dollar and feel we're purchasing in a great timeframe. The problem with sending ETI a check is that, according to Barb in their front office, it take about a month to get there by snail mail and then more days until it clears.

This is true for a personal check but not with a cashiers check. We sent a cashiers check in February via FedEx and it posted/cleared one day after it arrived.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Annnnd, in the meantime folks delay buying a ETI build because they're still expecting some perfect tug will happen...

You can ALWAYS make more money, you cannot MAKE more time...
We look at it the same way, Donna, and we'll simply buy the best tow vehicle available at the time our trailer is ready. However, the nearly 14 month(!) wait for our trailer certainly gives me time to consider the options.

BTW, my daughter lives in Portland, so I'm probably going to be pinging you for great camping spots in the region. Part of our strategy is to be able to work remotely and visit our kids in far away lands (like OR) whenever we can.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:59 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
BTW, my daughter lives in Portland, so I'm probably going to be pinging you for great camping spots in the region. Part of our strategy is to be able to work remotely and visit our kids in far away lands (like OR) whenever we can.
Glad to help if I can. You should try to coordinate at least one trip to Oregon with a NOG.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convert, f150, tundra