add rear light to 2017 21'? (at build) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question add rear light to 2017 21'? (at build)

Hi all

almost got the build sheet done....

Do people have opinions for or against adding a light (switched locally) to the rear of the 21'?

if yes, where would I ask them to position it?

we are getting the rear camera..... FWIIW.

for late night backing up - would the light be nice, or would it just blind my wife who would be guiding me with hand signals?

we use headlamps a lot, but a flood light on rear might be nice too?

thanks for any thoughts
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
A white light mounted in the rear would not be legal in most states. The only exception would be license plate lights and there are lots of regulations to insure these lights only illuminate the license plate and nothing else.
Get a flashlight.
pstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstyer View Post
A white light mounted in the rear would not be legal in most states. The only exception would be license plate lights and there are lots of regulations to insure these lights only illuminate the license plate and nothing else.
I'm sure that reverse lights are legal everywhere, and even required on motor vehicles (but not trailers). The only issue here is that the proposal is to switch it manually. I see two solutions to the possible issue:
  1. don't worry about it, except to diligently ensure that it is turned off after each use so you never leave the campsite with it turned on - there's nothing suspicious about it and no reason for anyone to be concerned with it; or,
  2. wire the tow vehicle's reverse light circuit to the centre (auxiliary) pin of the 7-way connector, then connect this reversing light to the (currently unused) yellow wire of the tow cable which connects to that pin and ends in the termination box.

It would be much easier to have this wire strung from the termination box to the rear of the trailer at build time, along with the tail and stop/turn wires, than to do it later. I'm only guessing, but I suspect that Escape would be happy to do this for a reasonable extra charge... which is exactly the kind of thing you want to determine before finalizing the build sheet.

My ancient Boler had the yellow wire run by the factory to the rear of the trailer - and not connected to anything - as a standard feature; it was done to make it easier for people wanting to add reverse lights, or to use it for the stop lamps in a setup with separate turn signals.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:17 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstyer View Post
Get a flashlight.
Provided the light is not on when traveling, I don't see any legal issues with it. However, I would not bother with it. For the most part it's a solution in search of a problem.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2016, 04:28 PM   #5

I understand that most people find that they don't need reverse lights, but don't you find them useful on your cars and trucks? Why would a trailer (particularly one with a backup camera) be different? Sure, you can backup only in daytime, or in the dark with an assistant holding a flashlight, but I see no reason to be restricted to those situations. I would not limit myself to driving my car or van - or motorhome - only in daytime, or when I have an assistant with a lamp.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:41 PM   #6
Site Team

True enough I guess. Would be nice though to have backup lights integrated into the taillights - like on a car or truck. That way, they only illuminate when you're in reverse, and there's nothing else to add.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:56 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape
use a two way radio for the wife to guide you when backing up.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Not that I want a camera on my trailer, but seems to me that some of these cameras have night vision and that might be messed up with a backup light.
My SwiftHitch camera has automatic night vision:
https://www.swifthitch.com/how-it-works.html
Angle of view of SwiftHitch is too narrow to use backing into a campsite.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Would be nice though to have backup lights integrated into the tail lights - like on a car or truck. That way, they only illuminate when you're in reverse, and there's nothing else to add.
Integrated is tidy, and there are RV tail lamp assemblies which include a reverse function - my fifth-wheel trailer has backup modules in its Bargman 84/86 series modular tail lamp assemblies. They're not commonly used, because recreational and light cargo trailer umbilical cord connections in North America normally don't include the reverse circuit... and every penny that trailer manufacturers can save is saved.

But there is no need for the lights to be integrated to be automatic, since there's no electrical relationship between reverse and the other lighting functions. Cars (including SUVs) routinely have the reverse lamps separate from the tail, stop, and turn lamps - sometimes in the bumper. Hook up the yellow wire and it works when (only only when) in reverse - whether it is a separate lamp or integrated.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not that I want a camera on my trailer, but seems to me that some of these cameras have night vision and that might be messed up with a backup light.
My SwiftHitch camera has automatic night vision:
https://www.swifthitch.com/how-it-works.html
That web page lists a maximum range for the "night vision", which implies that it is a floodlight mounted with the camera. If it is white light, a backup light would just be a superior replacement; if it is infrared, a white backup light would provide much better vision.

My motorhome's rearview camera - which is intended for backing into a campsite, not hitching a trailer - also has a ring of LEDs for night lighting. Actually lighting the area is far superior.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P;156337
I'm sure that reverse lights are legal everywhere, and even required on motor vehicles (but not trailers).
I'm pretty sure too. Gone through many, many jurisdictions in 3 countries without incident.

I added a rear light, not for backing up, but as part of having 360* lighting. I like to be able to see who or what's out there in the dark. Maybe sometimes I stay in places a little more sketchy than most. I don't need it for backing up at night. My camera and my wife with flashlight and walkie talkie work well enough in the rare case where I'd need to back in at night. If I change my mind it'd be easy to connect to the 7 pin connector.

I find front one very handy.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
15-09-2015 10-45-06 AM_0001_resize.JPG   15-09-2015 10-45-59 AM_0002_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:10 PM   #12

Thanks for all the thoughts.

I am thinking the floodlight - just to help HER see.

In addition to headlamp

So my question is

Where would be a good location?

That looks ok and works ok and maybe doesn't blind her?

It would be on a local switch. I am sure we would not row with it on.

And

The backup cam has infrared night vision.

But I am confident the local floodlight would not mess it up.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Where would be a good location?

That looks ok and works ok and maybe doesn't blind her?
I would avoid mounting to the trailer body. An obvious location would be the top of the bumper (one on each side, skewed outward in aim); I would put the bracket on the forward side of the bumper, or on the visible part of the frame rail, so the lamp is protected by the bumper.

To avoid blinding the backing assistant, the light needs to aim down. Ideally I suppose it would be higher than the bumper (so it can aim down more and still cover a good range), but well below eye level... maybe a post sticking up from the spare tire bracket, just high enough for the light to shine over the tire?
Old 08-17-2016, 07:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I would avoid mounting to the trailer body. An obvious location would be the top of the bumper (one on each side, skewed outward in aim); I would put the bracket on the forward side of the bumper, or on the visible part of the frame rail, so the lamp is protected by the bumper.

To avoid blinding the backing assistant, the light needs to aim down. Ideally I suppose it would be higher than the bumper (so it can aim down more and still cover a good range), but well below eye level... maybe a post sticking up from the spare tire bracket, just high enough for the light to shine over the tire?
All good ideas

As I will have a 12v outlet added to the exterior - and we are putting this by the stock 120v exterior - and that is just rear of the wheel wells - curb side

Maybe I DONT hard wire anything in

Just save the $

And have a 12v flood light at the ready

With long wire

And have a way to clamp it onto bumper. Or clamp to top of spare tire area. And angle dos.
. If needed.

Seem like a good idea all around?

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Lots of solar power motion detector lights on Amazon. You would have to turn them on at the light and not a switch though. I was thinking of them for use while parked away from others.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:05 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Things change of course but when we ordered the porch and street light were standard, howevery only the porch light is switched inside, meaning to turn on the sreet side you have to walk out in the dark to turn it on.We added a rear and front light and switched them together then switched the street light separately...three rocker switches... one for inside light. Works nice as you can switch all four lights from inside the trailer or turn an individual light off at the lamp.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:52 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
The driver's side standard light on the 21' is handy if turning on the electric for water heater. We do not have that light on a switch. We do have front and back lights we added on switches.

The new 21' has different standard back lights and our added light could not go up high because of that, so it is in the middle. Much smaller range than our front one that is up high. The back one was to be for a clothesline but we have not put that in on this trailer (as we are doing fine with indoor clotheslines.) We use the back one for a security light occasionally.

Of course, it could be used for backing but we come in during the day.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:34 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Things change of course but when we ordered the porch and street light were standard, howevery only the porch light is switched inside, meaning to turn on the sreet side you have to walk out in the dark to turn it on.We added a rear and front light and switched them together then switched the street light separately...three rocker switches... one for inside light. Works nice as you can switch all four lights from inside the trailer or turn an individual light off at the lamp.
Couldn't agree more. Having to go outside, in the dark, to turn a light on to see what's there made no sense to me. I added the second light on the street side because access to the wiring to put it on a switch would be difficult. So, on mine, the original door light still uses the original switch and the 3 new lights are turned on by a second switch.

And you lucky folks ordering now can ask for what used to an owner mod.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
18-04-2015 11-50-32 AM2_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:43 PM   #19
Site Team

It wasn't an option when we had ours built in Feb 2015 Ron, but as the saying goes, 'ask and ye shall receive'. Left controls passenger porch light, right controls driver side porch light.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2016, 10:54 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Couldn't agree more. Having to go outside, in the dark, to turn a light on to see what's there made no sense to me. Ron
I just pull the covers over my head.