Alternative rear view camera - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2021, 11:32 AM   #1

Trailer: 2021 17B
Alternative rear view camera

Read about issues with the ETI rear view camera. Are there alternatives out there? Anyone using battery operated or rechargeable (vs. permanent mount), viewable on mobile phones? Finalizing options for 17B in a few days! TIA.
EscapeVelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Yup.
Milenco Grand Aero mirrors.
Attached Thumbnails
Milenco .jpg  
Old 06-07-2021, 02:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
This is what I use:

https://boostautoparts.com/

Unfortunately they only make tow mirrors for pickups, I think. If you have an SUV then you might be stuck with add-on type tow mirrors.

But in general, first step is to have a good view from the mirrors. I find that good mirrors make any direct rear view superfluous. If you are in the lead, you don't need to check on second place, LOL.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I purchase a bluetooth back up camera mounted on solar panel frame. Wired with antenna inside refrigerator cap and power wire jumped off propane sensor below fridge. I have a switch to turn on/off power to eliminate drain when not in use. Screen in F150 is bracket that came with camera, lower driver's side centre of dash. While driving can look up and down easily. Biggest use is driving and view behind. Backing up I like a spotter.
Mirrors are snap on to F150 standard mirrors. Remove when not hauling.
Attached Thumbnails
0-1.jpeg   0.jpeg   0-2.jpeg  
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:37 PM   #5
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Adding a rear view came

Hello EscapeVelocity,

Congrats on your upcoming 17B!

We did not order a rear view camera with our 21C, but we did end up installing one ourselves later on.

Specifically, we bought a wireless Amtifo 1080P system from Amazon for around $170 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

The camera communicates wirelessly to a 7" monitor we attach to our windshield via suction cup.

To power the camera, I tapped the tail light line (it can be reached under the rear dinette bench in the 21C). If I connect my vehicle to the trailer and turn on the headlights, this line is powered. To get this power to the outside, I snaked the cable through the vent for the battery box (for the 21C, the batteries sit in a box under the dinette and they are vented to the outside).

To mount the camera, I used UV resistant nylon ties and connected the camera to the bumper, underneath the spare tire.

See attached pictures.

The results so far: The wireless connection has been very stable. The 1080P picture is very clear. The camera has some built in LEDs that allow for decent night vision. The lens is wide angle enough to give us a nice view.

Best wishes as your complete your build sheet.

- Bea
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-9594.jpg   IMG-9597.jpg  
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post
Read about issues with the ETI rear view camera. Are there alternatives out there? Anyone using battery operated or rechargeable (vs. permanent mount), viewable on mobile phones? Finalizing options for 17B in a few days! TIA.
The camera that ETI installed on my 2021 21NE has worked perfectly every time - I have not had a single issue yet. I was pleasantly surprised that all I had to do was plug the monitor in to my 12V lighter socket and turn on the headlights. It was paired and all ready to go.
M_canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:11 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
My experience with the Escape installed rear view camera in my 2018 17A (3 years old now) has been without a single problem. I use it every time I'm out for the total duration of driving/parking. It may be my most vital option along with the optional (in the 17) upper rear extra brake lights.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:30 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 B second generation 2016
Barbara, what did Escape put in for you? Is it wired or wireless?
Old 06-07-2021, 09:39 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I made my own camera system with a usb powered access point and a Wylse camera. I only use it for backing into a site solo. Cost was less than 100.00
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:24 AM   #10
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Escape options the Furrion Vision S. It works like a charm with the monitor sitting atop the dash in our Tundra.

https://furrion.com/collections/came...rvation-system

After seeing its performance, and discovering that it can be expanded with 3 more cameras, I purchased the side marker cameras that work with the system.

https://furrion.com/collections/came...5-or-7-display

I had to add some extra wire to the original power wires to the side marker lights (why does ETI cut those wires so short) which was a challenge, but they work. I'm pleased with the result, a little pricey but a stable image. Considering the cost though, I'm disappointed that there's no recording capabilities with the camera(s), unlike a dash cam. It is real time (actually a delay of about 1 second) imagery and that's it.

I'm sure there are a variety of options available, at a lower cost, but my electrical skill is very basic, so I'm not one to monkey around without clear instructions and a YouTube video.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Yup.
Milenco Grand Aero mirrors.
First trailer, with no towing experience. Likely need more than side mirrors for backing up
Old 06-08-2021, 02:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
This is what I use:

https://boostautoparts.com/

Unfortunately they only make tow mirrors for pickups, I think. If you have an SUV then you might be stuck with add-on type tow mirrors.

But in general, first step is to have a good view from the mirrors. I find that good mirrors make any direct rear view superfluous. If you are in the lead, you don't need to check on second place, LOL.
True, if only going forward.
(just learning to respond...need to quote message in reply!)
Old 06-08-2021, 03:16 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
First trailer, with no towing experience. Likely need more than side mirrors for backing up
This is not true, and learning to properly use proper towing mirrors is quite important and valuable. Millions of drivers learned to reverse with a trailer without a camera. After a few hundred thousand kilometers of towing, from small trailer to tractor trailer combos, and never using a camera, I have had no issues.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 04:14 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This is not true, and learning to properly use proper towing mirrors is quite important and valuable. Millions of drivers learned to reverse with a trailer without a camera. After a few hundred thousand kilometers of towing, from small trailer to tractor trailer combos, and never using a camera, I have had no issues.
I’ve pulled into a few festivals after dark and by myself with poorly lighted sites. I’m glad to have the camera to see behind the trailer. No problem using tech. I’m glad my car has backup cameras as well as my truck. So it’s win win in my book. Not everyone has years of backup experience.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:39 AM   #15

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Like Jim Bennett in this thread I have experience driving my own trailers as well as 18-wheelers. A good set of mirrors give a much better sense of where the trailer is and where it is headed relative to obstacles than a single rear view camera.

Will having a camera make someone a worse driver or limit their learning curve on backing up a trailer normally? Probably not, I guess. But then I deliberately didn't teach my kids to parallel park, and 90 degree park with my fancy company car that has the 360 degree view camera.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:20 AM   #16

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Smile a direct response

Quote:
.... rear view camera. Are there alternatives out there?
I've no affiliation and there are certainly many other vendors, but FYI the Tadi Brothers website offers a wide range of technologies and examples of what's possible (all that you mention plus more) in one place.

Just a shopping / information resource for your consideration, Have Fun!
Old 06-08-2021, 10:49 AM   #17

Trailer: 2021 21C
The Furion that Escape installed in our 21C has worked flawlessly, as others have mentioned. This is one of those "top 10" controversial items where you will get some strong opinions both ways, so I may as well give you mine.

I am very happy to have the camera and would not do without it. I installed the Boost Auto full size extendable towing mirrors on our GMC Canyon, and I also could not do without them. They are so much better than the clamp-on mirrors if they fit your vehicle. In my view (pun intended), you need both. It is simply a fact that you have a blind spot to the rear of your trailer that is over one vehicle deep. The best side mirrors on your tow vehicle will not show you that blind spot.

The rear view camera is also very useful when we back up in our driveway to store the trailer. I know that I'm not going to run into the house! It does not help, at least for me, in positioning the trailer when backing up into a parking space. For that I rely on my mirrors and my wife's guidance.

I have also driven 18 wheelers and know how to rely on my side mirrors, not just when towing but in every day driving. As I said, I would not want to go without the rear camera. It just makes towing that much safer.

2021 21C "Travels with Karma"
GMC Canyon Denali Turbodiesel Long-bed
DWM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:59 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
The camera is by rvs systems, wireless backup camera system with 5" single screen monitor. It plugs into the "cigarette lighter" in the dash. Turn on the car lights and it works great.
Old 06-08-2021, 02:42 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
The camera is by rvs systems, wireless backup camera system with 5" single screen monitor. It plugs into the "cigarette lighter" in the dash. Turn on the car lights and it works great.
My back up camera is spelled WIFE. LOL
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:06 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C "S.S. Iceburg"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
I've no affiliation and there are certainly many other vendors, but FYI the Tadi Brothers website offers a wide range of technologies and examples of what's possible (all that you mention plus more) in one place.
I keep looking at the Tadi Brothers website, but keep hesitating. I've seen people complain about the wireless range not reaching the back of an E21, and running wires forward through the overhead compartments to get the transmitter closer.

How is yours installed? I'd sure like the one with the build-in antenna so that I don't have to deal with anything but mount and power.
kernwig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup camera, rear view camera