Americans buying cheaper RV's - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2015, 10:13 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Americans buying cheaper RV's

Interesting article in the Wall Street Journal (Dec 22.) by James Hagerty. Title is, “Americans buying more RV’s, but the cheaper models.”

You can’t read the full article if you’re not signed up with the Wall Street Journal. That, I will not do. But, I found if you do a Google search of “Sales of recreational vehicles surge” you’ll find the article, published in MarketWatch, all free and fair without strings.

We are infatuated with but a tiny corner of this business of course, so there’s no mention in Hagerty’s article on RV sales of fiberglass trailers, but it is still a fun read. Certainly insightful, loaded with perspective. A tidbit from Mr Hagerty’s article… "I didn't want a bus," Mr. Bernaden said. He and his wife decided they could survive without the fireplace, walk-in closets, and washer-dryer combos that fit in 40-foot-plus models. After considering flying to Texas for a bargain he saw on the Internet, Mr. Bernaden chose a 26-foot Forest River Sprinter that had been used as a demo model by his local dealer in Milwaukee. Its $80,000 price tag included three TVs….”

Well, I can relate to that. Going outside now, to hug a tree.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If only the number of camping spots would keep pace.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hugging trees most every day now. About the only thing that's truly real around Christmas. I am constantly amazed at the number of big rigs on RV lots everywhere. I can't get my mind around the sitting inventory costs, cost of financing by buyers and operating cost once on the road. Not for me, not now, not ever. Just couldn't do it. Storage lots are full of them and many don't move very much.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I can purchase 5 fully equipped Escape 21's for what my buddy paid for his low end 36 ft Class A motor home. His motor home sits at home most of the time because it only gets
6 MPG. Everyone has different needs and I don't need a $200K motor home in order to enjoy traveling. Having said that ,his fireplace does add a homey touch.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
his fireplace does add a homey touch.
There's an app for that.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Iowa Dave... If I was seen hugging a tree the neighbours would just think I was plastered again!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:01 PM   #7

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I can purchase 5 fully equipped Escape 21's for what my buddy paid for his low end 36 ft Class A motor home. His motor home sits at home most of the time because it only gets 6 MPG.
A friend of mine in Spokane WA has a motorhome and she really only uses it to go to her sister's lake place a few hours from her. She's always bitching about how much time it takes and how much gas money it costs to go anywhere else. Let's just say she will not be one of my camping buddies as I'm not interested in going to Priest Lake in Idaho all the time. Oregon coast will be our first destination!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:04 PM   #8

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I am constantly amazed at the number of big rigs on RV lots everywhere. I can't get my mind around the sitting inventory costs, cost of financing by buyers and operating cost once on the road. Not for me, not now, not ever. Just couldn't do it. Storage lots are full of them and many don't move very much.
Dave
As well as all the ones sitting beside someone's house. Especially the ones with a blue tarp over 'em. They've been sitting there for years! I'm sure they're good homes for the local mice and/or rat population by now. If you're not gonna use it, donate it to a charity that takes those and sells 'em for scrap or whatever.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
A friend of mine in Spokane WA has a motorhome and she really only uses it to go to her sister's lake place a few hours from her. She's always bitching about how much time it takes and how much gas money it costs to go anywhere else. Let's just say she will not be one of my camping buddies as I'm not interested in going to Priest Lake in Idaho all the time.
Then there are the large motorhomes which have been coast to coast and looped around the entire continent. Any RV which is mis-matched to the owner's needs will not be effectively used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
As well as all the ones sitting beside someone's house. Especially the ones with a blue tarp over 'em. They've been sitting there for years!
I've seen small moulded fiberglass travel trailers sitting in the same spot for many years, including the Trilliums which inspired the Escape design. As someone once said , any RV which is mis-matched to the owner's needs will not be effectively used.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Before we sold our 21 she lived in a covered spot in a storage facility. Next to it sat a huge fifth wheel that only got to go camping one week out of the year. That was an expensive week's holiday!
Old 12-23-2015, 08:52 PM   #11

Brian,
Very true, lots of good rolling stock setting all over the countryside. There's a 13 scamp near my daughters that I don't believe has moved in several years. It's on a busy road so I am reasonably sure at least a few people have inquired within as the say. Some good friends of ours have a nice Class A. They are out every weekend in the summer, only go a few miles to a favorite county park. They are fascinated by our desire to tow thousands of miles while we can't see a washer and dryer, china hutch, and multiple TVs. Different strokes.
Dave
Old 12-23-2015, 08:57 PM   #12

One of my supervisors had a hot air balloon. The last year he owned it, he did not use it. The previous year he used it once. I can't remember how much he said, but all things considered, that last two years was in the thousands to own it and fly it once. Boats can tear you up too.
Dave
Old 12-23-2015, 09:09 PM   #13

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
They are fascinated by our desire to tow thousands of miles while we can't see a washer and dryer, china hutch, and multiple TVs. Different strokes
I have always loved driving, that's what drove me towards a travel trailer.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:11 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)

Our 19 in storage. Kinda says it all.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:45 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My neighbor down our road plays golf and winters in (believe it) Quartzsite, AZ using this. It's his second bus, bought used with a trade in, last year, when his first finally got to him. (Oh them funky hydraulics.)

But this one turned out to be another extended can of worms. He says he got a good deal ...but, beware of false dealer promises, sloppy dealer repairs, service delays, suspicious warranties, etc. These rigs it seems, are maintenance black holes.

He's out there today I think, on the 9th hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Charlie.jpg  
Old 12-24-2015, 10:56 AM   #16

Yup that's a bus alright. A least they use it. Always feel kind of bad for people who have a black hole investment, especially when it's too complex for them to fix themselves. A restoration project is one thing but a supposed good condition unit is sure to be dissapointment when it fails.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:00 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post

Our 19 in storage. Kinda says it all.
I hope they gave you a discount, you could fit two trailers in one spot.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:37 AM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Funny thing: at just about every RV Park or Campground we've stopped at where there were a bunch of big rigs, many owners of these rigs make a point of asking if they can tour our "little" 19. You can almost see the gears turning in their heads when they think about the plausibility of downsizing, the money they'll save, as well as the gas.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:46 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: JStelly... I thought this just summed it all up. Size matters... and yes we were the ones giving a tour. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040198.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I hope they gave you a discount, you could fit two trailers in one spot.

No discount unfortunately but I chose this spot so that the two big guys on each side provide plenty of protection from the sun. :-)
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote