Another 21' coming along! Questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2015, 07:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Another 21' coming along! Questions

Yes, we are getting a 21'! Assuming we sell the 19'!

We know pretty much what we want from having the 19' but there are still lots of questions, some specific to a 21' and some not.

We want to reinforce the bath wall opposite window. How are people doing with weight on towel racks if their walls are not reinforced?

If you have 110s and 12Vs in the dinette under flip-up tables, are they actually below the tables or does it work to have them under the tables when not up?

Where is the best or worst placement for the exterior shower?

We want solar and an inverter, so there would not really be a reason to get 12V drops in upper cabinets, right?

Has anyone put the EMS display other than at the dinette?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Cathy,
I believe you can have the EMS display moved up over the refer where the tank/pump switches/sensors are located. I had the bath wall reinforced and I was able to install towel racks on both sides without any issues, plus a magazine rack over the bed. If you place the 12v behind the pop up tables it would be neater but inaccessible. You would still want the 12v drops in the cabinets for future lights. I use battery lights in the cabinets but did get 2 lights under the bed for illumination.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hi Cathy- the 12V under the flip ups won't work I don't believe, however just above might. We did the solar/inverter and have just the standard 12V at the nightstand. May put another under D/S dinette bench as I did on our 17B, however you're right in that with the inverter we just use the AC outlets the few times we need another charge point. Our EMS is above the refer, a standard placement for us. We didn't reinforce any walls; Kim at first thought the wall at stovetop needed one for the flip-up, however Reace "reinforced" at N/C. We opted not to do elsewhere as they add weight- and am with others who if we wanted Umbra hooks we would just use tape.

Outdoor shower is on street side near standard front hatch. Like the height, however we sometimes wish it were on the curb side.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Cathy,
I believe you can have the EMS display moved up over the refer where the tank/pump switches/sensors are located. I had the bath wall reinforced and I was able to install towel racks on both sides without any issues, plus a magazine rack over the bed. If you place the 12v behind the pop up tables it would be neater but inaccessible. You would still want the 12v drops in the cabinets for future lights. I use battery lights in the cabinets but did get 2 lights under the bed for illumination.
Our present display is at the dinette across from the door. We plug in electric and go check it. Hoping if it is moved to above refrigerator as you say, we can see it.

When you say bath wall reinforced, that is only on the bed side but you have no problem with towel rack on the other side, so that makes me wonder if we need reinforcement on that wall 6.

Lights in cabinets, duh, yes, we could use some more light (forgot no light there) but think we will go with some battery-powered as we have under the dinette. We have double pancake LEDs on the side wall next to the closet and they light up all of the cabinets on both sides as well as the refrigerator so I am wondering why the new ceiling lights do not put enough light into the cabinets including above the bed. Under the bed, that is a good idea. Could use battery type there also though.
Thank you for the tips.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hi Cathy- the 12V under the flip ups won't work I don't believe, however just above might. We did the solar/inverter and have just the standard 12V at the nightstand. May put another under D/S dinette bench as I did on our 17B, however you're right in that with the inverter we just use the AC outlets the few times we need another charge point. Our EMS is above the refer, a standard placement for us. We didn't reinforce any walls; Kim at first thought the wall at stovetop needed one for the flip-up, however Reace "reinforced" at N/C. We opted not to do elsewhere as they add weight- and am with others who if we wanted Umbra hooks we would just use tape.

Outdoor shower is on street side near standard front hatch. Like the height, however we sometimes wish it were on the curb side.
Ross, I thought the flip-ups have a little give to them and therefore could plug in there when tables down but the purpose of having sockets under the tables is really to put the items being charged on the tables! So no problem if we just put the tables up.

Glad to hear your EMS is above refer. Can you see it from outside at the door?

We are going to get some hooks but it seems people have said that there are studs of a sort to put them in without wall reinforcement, just as I guess people are doing at orientation who have no reinforced walls.

Curb side shower seems better but I guess it depends on whether you are actually taking a shower and muddying up the area on door side or just washing off feet from sand at the beach. I doubt we will be taking too many showers outside but if I say that, the next thing, we will be. Thank you for the info.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:53 PM   #6

Trying to get this build sheet done. Some questions pertain to any unit and some only 21's.

Wondering if anyone has put one of those little flip-up tables at the bed on bath wall. How did you decide exactly where?

Is there now an inside switch for the exterior D/S light?

Who has the extra hatch on the 21' and do you see some standard equipment when you open it? Would you get it again?

Does the winterizing t-valve bypass the water heater?

Why will Escape not put an electric water heater off/on switch inside? Code?

Does anyone have a photo of the whole wall area with cubbies inside door? Wondering how much space it takes and whether we might just prefer that area open.

If a wall is reinforced such as bed/bath, can something be put in with screws anywhere in upper 2/3 of the wall?

Has ETI put a water pump silencing kit in for anyone?
Old 04-18-2015, 10:03 PM   #7

Trailer: Shopping tv 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Trying to get this build sheet done. Some questions pertain to any unit and some only 21's.

Wondering if anyone has put one of those little flip-up tables at the bed on bath wall. How did you decide exactly where?

Is there now an inside switch for the exterior D/S light?

Who has the extra hatch on the 21' and do you see some standard equipment when you open it? Would you get it again?

Does the winterizing t-valve bypass the water heater?

Why will Escape not put an electric water heater off/on switch inside? Code?

Does anyone have a photo of the whole wall area with cubbies inside door? Wondering how much space it takes and whether we might just prefer that area open.

If a wall is reinforced such as bed/bath, can something be put in with screws anywhere in upper 2/3 of the wall?

Has ETI put a water pump silencing kit in for anyone?

Crystal will send you a picture of the cubby since I decided against it I deleted the pic sorry
mk1549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:55 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I thought the side cubby for the 21 wasn't very useful, so built one half as high with deeper pockets (9,11,and 12 inches) to hold slippers and pocket junk. This left the top half open for hanging coats, hats, etc. Added hooks on each side with VHB tape. All made from ABS plastic that matches the fiberglass.

The wood one is the ETI cubby option.
Attached Thumbnails
side_cubby1.jpg   PICT0241.jpg   PICT0242.jpg  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:00 PM   #9
Commercial Member

If you have ETI reinforce a wall, it was done in my rig with rectangular pieces of plywood, so the reinforcement may or may not go all the way back to the outside shell. In my 21 closet that ended about 3 inches short of the outside fiberglass. If you need it there you might want to confirm that it does exist.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 04-18-2015, 11:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
If you have ETI reinforce a wall, it was done in my rig with rectangular pieces of plywood, so the reinforcement may or may not go all the way back to the outside shell. In my 21 closet that ended about 3 inches short of the outside fiberglass. If you need it there you might want to confirm that it does exist.
Thank you for the photos, Charlie, as that space is smaller than I thought. Good idea to only do half. We are reinforcing bed/bath wall and I thought the lower 1/3 is left when they do that but not sure. Don't need lower 1/3 anyway. Expect we will then be able to put hooks for heavy items in bath and on bed wall. Want to hang heavy wet stuff in bath when rains.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:40 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Thank you for the photos, Charlie, as that space is smaller than I thought. Good idea to only do half. We are reinforcing bed/bath wall and I thought the lower 1/3 is left when they do that but not sure. Don't need lower 1/3 anyway. Expect we will then be able to put hooks for heavy items in bath and on bed wall. Want to hang heavy wet stuff in bath when rains.
Even if you reinforce the wall, I suggest trying to mount hangers with VHB tape before drilling holes. 3M RP45 tape is closed cell and good for bath use; I hung a 10 pound weight on my coat hanger hook for 3 days before deciding to use it in my rig.....
Attached Thumbnails
weightest.jpg  

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 04-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Cathy,
I f you go to Modifications to BlackJack you will see that I have installed several items on the reinforced bath/bed wall, both in the bed and bath areas. I'd stick with the cubbies and I'm working on a mod that will make them more useful, to be discussed when completed. All of my outside lights-3 are on one interior switch, with each one having a off/on switch in addition to.
My flip up table is one the night stand side, very helpful there. The bed area is not that wide to have a table, IMHO. The winterizing does not by pass the water heater, that is on it's own valves and one for the winterizing. Come issue for the electric heater, I just had an outlet installed near where I installed mine to get access to the electric- see same thread mentioned above for pictures.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Even if you reinforce the wall, I suggest trying to mount hangers with VHB tape before drilling holes. 3M RP45 tape is closed cell and good for bath use; I hung a 10 pound weight on my coat hanger hook for 3 days before deciding to use it in my rig.....
Anybody know of a supply source that VHB Tape,in Calgary
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:06 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Try this. They could at least direct you since they carry the stuff ( don't think you want a full or partial case )

MOTION INDUSTRIES INC
4155 75TH AVE SE 16
CALGARY, AB T2C2K
Get a Map
Phone: (403)236-5581
Old 04-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
One thing I have found handy for foot and paw washes is to have a "y" with shut off levers and hook up a 25' collapsible or curly hose to snake under the trailer.
It would be a bit nippy to use for showers, though.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:56 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLYBGR View Post
Anybody know of a supply source that VHB Tape,in Calgary
Very similar tape used for automotive trim, holds 5 lbs per square inch in tension, should do fine for shear applications like a towel bar.

http://www.amazon.ca/Scotch-Exterior...QWST59PPR4A8AT

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 04-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Some answers:
There is an inside switch for the single outside light, it can possibly be changed to include more of the outside lights - there are three on the 21. We added a second switch for the over head ceiling lights. I believe the second one was extra.

The 21 does not have a low drain point like your 19 did.

I like the cubbies for the simple reason they keep things off the two counter tops. Invariably you have flash lights, wallets, spare change, sun screen, meds, sun glasses, reading glasses and a myriad of easily lost items, the cubbies help keep those things organized. They are especially handy when retiring for the night and you want things where you can find them, that countertop by the 12 volt outlet is handy for a lot of other things and there is a lot of competition for that space.

Pump noise had never been an issue for us, it does make a lot of noise when running. When not using water I would be surprised if it fires off but twice a day. If you are concerned of it waking you at night it is easy to turn off and you will still have water pressure for any after hour use.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Cathy,
I f you go to Modifications to BlackJack you will see that I have installed several items on the reinforced bath/bed wall, both in the bed and bath areas. I'd stick with the cubbies and I'm working on a mod that will make them more useful, to be discussed when completed. All of my outside lights-3 are on one interior switch, with each one having a off/on switch in addition to.
My flip up table is one the night stand side, very helpful there. The bed area is not that wide to have a table, IMHO. The winterizing does not by pass the water heater, that is on it's own valves and one for the winterizing. Come issue for the electric heater, I just had an outlet installed near where I installed mine to get access to the electric- see same thread mentioned above for pictures.
Your teak bars look great. Where is third exterior light, on front? Didn't know there was another one. They need to update a bunch of their photos. (Showing 6-volts on bumper when inside bench.) Also like the magazine racks everywhere as they can be handy for all kinds of things.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
One thing I have found handy for foot and paw washes is to have a "y" with shut off levers and hook up a 25' collapsible or curly hose to snake under the trailer.
It would be a bit nippy to use for showers, though.
We have one of those Ys. Works well.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Some answers:
There is an inside switch for the single outside light, it can possibly be changed to include more of the outside lights - there are three on the 21. We added a second switch for the over head ceiling lights. I believe the second one was extra.

The 21 does not have a low drain point like your 19 did.

I like the cubbies for the simple reason they keep things off the two counter tops. Invariably you have flash lights, wallets, spare change, sun screen, meds, sun glasses, reading glasses and a myriad of easily lost items, the cubbies help keep those things organized. They are especially handy when retiring for the night and you want things where you can find them, that countertop by the 12 volt outlet is handy for a lot of other things and there is a lot of competition for that space.

Pump noise had never been an issue for us, it does make a lot of noise when running. When not using water I would be surprised if it fires off but twice a day. If you are concerned of it waking you at night it is easy to turn off and you will still have water pressure for any after hour use.
Pump noise seems bad anytime but wonder if others can hear it at night when we stay up late or get up. Doesn't sound so bad if I go outside though but still would like it quieter.

We had freezing one night lately. Just removed the hose and hit the low point drain. Cannot do that with the 21' and should be able to.

Can't decide on those cubbies because our shoes were at the door in the 19'. That space between door and bath is perfect for putting them and maybe some hooks above. We only need part of the cubbies but in the middle!

Thank you for the replies all.