Any photos with bicycles on rear rack? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17B, April 2014
I don't want to start a fight, or pick on any one response - but safety for the sake of safety is something that is really wrong with our society, in my opinion. Some people are more interested with being safe than enjoying themselves - no one gets out of this life alive, people!

If I was interested in living my life in the safest possible fashion, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be an avid motorcyclist. I prefer to LIVE, take the risks I deem worthy, and yes, do these things as safely as I reasonably can.

The response of "see, the stock lights really are badly obscured by bicycles, the extra lights really do make a difference" is so much more useful than "OMG, you have to be SAFE, at all costs!!!!!".

Yes, I knew these sorts of responses would occur, and I am -ing. Please, carry on! Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
KLRchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #22

Trailer: "Teachers' Pet" our 2014 Escape 19
Sounds like your mind was already made up, as was mine.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
nealmccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealmccarter View Post
Sounds like your mind was already made up, as was mine.
Totally not the case. The question was asked in hopes of finding a solid answer to the question of how badly bicycles obscure the stock tail lights. If bad, we'll add the lights, if not - there are plenty of other ways to spend our money.

We happen to be questioners, not the sort to ASSuME that just because "everyone does it", "it" is the best thing to do.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 5TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRchickie View Post
We are in the process of narrowing down what we do and don't want on our 17B

Some things are easy - "bike rack ready" being one of them. Two bicycles will be brought along more often than not (and they're a royal pain to fit with the motorcycles in the Sprinter van). We're questioning to "need" for an "Additional set LED brake lights" and a picture of the back of an Escape trailer with bicycles mounted on a rack could help us decide.

Anyone have one
I remove the tires from our bikes and they fit well behind the hitch of our 5.0 in the box of the truck. This allows a clear visual of the back lights. Our bikes have quick release wheels so it only takes a few minutes to take them on or off.
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #25

Trailer: n/a
not sure what your bikes are worth or what the hassle is for you to replace them, but for me I'd likely just get the lights to try and avoid someone hitting my mtb's. In BC, it can be a real PITA to deal with the insurance company to replace or repair things that are not actually apart of the vehicle. Considering that a cheap MTB can run a few thousand dollars....even small parts can easily go over $100 a pop.
bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude View Post
I remove the tires from our bikes and they fit well behind the hitch of our 5.0 in the box of the truck...
Our bikes have quick release wheels so it only takes a few minutes to take them on or off.
Behind the hitch? Are you laying them down in the back of the box? Are you taking off just the front wheels (which is very common for carrying bikes) or the rear wheels as well (which means messing with chains)?

If they'll fit there, this a nice tidy way to carry bikes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan View Post
Considering that a cheap MTB can run a few thousand dollars....even small parts can easily go over $100 a pop.
I have yet to take my good MTB with me. It is a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 29er. To paranoid of it getting stolen. Instead I bring a 20 year old Specialized Rockhopper that has the dual purpose tires. I hope to head to Moab next fall, and the Stumpjumper will definitely come along then.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Safety first is my mantra and I'm not ashamed to say it. I work for a worldwide transportation company and we have over 15,000 truck drivers on the road every single day. Safety is our number one core value with the plan every employee gets home at the end of a shift every day. So yes, Safety has been drilled into me... happily. Whatever someone chooses to do is okay by me... but remember, you're sharing the road with others.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
...Safety has been drilled into me ... happily. Whatever someone chooses to do is okay by me... but remember, you're sharing the road with others.
I don't have a desire to be unsafe. I dislike being told I "must" do something for the sake of safety with no "proof" that it will improve my odds. Hence the request for a picture to help us make up our minds.

I have strong faith that many of the drivers out there are more than capable of hitting large, bright, flashy objects given half a chance. We're trying to make an informed decision on what level of effort is "reasonable" in hopes that we can prevent the ones who DO drive with their eyes open from hitting us. We have two vehicles that have lighting located such that if drivers can't see it around the bike rack... they must be the sort that could run into on-duty fire trucks. Adding more lights *would* be unreasonable on those. Perhaps more reasonable on the trailer.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I would go for the extra lights if only for the higher position, even without bikes. The very low stock light position looks nice, and follows the Trillium-style tradition, but I don't find it very functional.

Another option which some may want to consider is to mount a set of lights on the bike rack itself, run by a plug-in connection just as the trailer is run from the tug. Of course, that means more wiring on the trailer, but at least it would be in a relatively accessible location, rather than buried in the interior.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I would go for the extra lights if only for the higher position, even without bikes. The stock light position looks nice, and follows the Trillium-style tradition, but is not very functional...
I agree. A great feature of the higher lights is that your lights become more visible to multiple vehicles following behind your Escape. The lower lights can be blocked by the car immediately behind the trailer, but the higher lights can still be seen by traffic further away.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #32

Trailer: No more Escape 21
Sorry, while I do carry bikes on the back I don't have any pictures.

Coming home from a NOG, I was about 1/4 of a mile behind Chuck S and his Escape 19. Chuck, I believe, was the first to have Reace install additional lights on the back. What a difference! Even though Chuck was not carrying bikes, those lights really made a difference. So much so that I had the lights retro-fitted to my 19.

With or without carrying bikes I would recommend the added lights
Old 11-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Being safe and enjoying yourself are not mutually exclusive that I can see with regard to more trailer lights. The lights are obviously obscured so I don't see anyone saying to add lights just to spend money.

You say you wouldn't be an avid motorcyclist if you wanted to be very safe --- and we even let you out on the road!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRchickie View Post
I don't want to start a fight, or pick on any one response - but safety for the sake of safety is something that is really wrong with our society, in my opinion. Some people are more interested with being safe than enjoying themselves - no one gets out of this life alive, people!

If I was interested in living my life in the safest possible fashion, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be an avid motorcyclist. I prefer to LIVE, take the risks I deem worthy, and yes, do these things as safely as I reasonably can.

The response of "see, the stock lights really are badly obscured by bicycles, the extra lights really do make a difference" is so much more useful than "OMG, you have to be SAFE, at all costs!!!!!".

Yes, I knew these sorts of responses would occur, and I am -ing. Please, carry on! Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #34

Trailer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have yet to take my good MTB with me. It is a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 29er. To paranoid of it getting stolen. Instead I bring a 20 year old Specialized Rockhopper that has the dual purpose tires. I hope to head to Moab next fall, and the Stumpjumper will definitely come along then.
Nice. Ya so far our MTB's have been traveling in the back of the truck, but it's only been to mtb races and bike parks. It works out pretty well, but at some point we would like to travel with our moto's and mtb's and at that point a bike rack on the trailer would be a likely option.

The wife and I have Specialized Carbon enduros. Hers is an Expert and mine is a S-works. We also have DH MTB's. Great sport.

Sorry for the thread derail.
bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
No thread derail, bryan. You are talking about carrying bikes, and you two have a couple very nice ones too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
My 2 cents:
I am having a 4 pin trailer plug installed beside the bike rack. If I decide to carry my bikes on a rack ( 2 Mongoose Iboc models ) , I will add an extension arm to the rack with lights that plug in. I also have the option of towing a small trailer for the motorcycle as Reace said the hitch can handle that load. Trailer behind a trailer should be interesting. However, do not think I will be backing up with that rig.
My build started this past week.
Does not really matter what motorcycle or bicycle you ride, just appreciate that you are doing it.
robertg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
I also have the option of towing a small trailer for the motorcycle as Reace said the hitch can handle that load. Trailer behind a trailer should be interesting.
Is that set up legal ( towing two trailers ) legal in Ontario? Lots of states and provinces where it isn't.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #38

I have heard various comments as to where it is legal and not legal... will investigate before I head out. Also, I did come across a towing system for the motorcycle that keeps the rear wheel on the ground so not really a second trailer. Would not be an issue if
my better half would drive the rig and I would ride!
Old 11-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #39

gbaglo
just looked it up... 2 trailers behind a p/u is legal in Ontario
Old 11-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I recall a fly fishing friend towing his trailer and a boat trailer on vacation. He had to drop the boat at the state border, drive across, drop the trailer, return and hitch up the boat trailer. Bit of a hassle.