Anyone have a 17a or b near Reno or Sacramento - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2018, 05:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 17A
Anyone have a 17a or b near Reno or Sacramento

I'm really interested in the escape 17A, but have yet to climb inside one. I do a lot of winter camping (travelling ski racer) so if anyone has the fully insulated option regardless of the size I would love to see or chat about it. Otherwise, just want to grab a peek at a 17A, but 17B would work fine too. Thanks!
scottsady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I have a 2018 17A in Placerville, between tahoe and sacramento on hwy 50. unfortunately i am limited to only a few days i could show it to you between now and thanksgiving. let me know. (edited because i put reno instead of sacramento)
Old 10-29-2018, 07:17 PM   #3

That would be great. I saw you on the owners map, but couldn't seem to get a private message to work, so since you've been at this forum longer than me, maybe you can reach me that way. We would love to have a look. We may be able to get down Wed or THur of this week (31or1) or anytime 5th-9th or 13- morning of 15th. If any of that works for you please PM me and we can figure things out. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2018, 07:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsady View Post
I'm really interested in the escape 17A, but have yet to climb inside one. I do a lot of winter camping (travelling ski racer) so if anyone has the fully insulated option regardless of the size I would love to see or chat about it. Otherwise, just want to grab a peek at a 17A, but 17B would work fine too. Thanks!

Are you aware that the water systems are not winter worthy even with full insulation? Ok if you are going to dry camp however, as the furnace is quite adequate.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:55 PM   #5

That is a great point, yardsale.

Also you can use a water dispenser (mine is 2.5 gallons) that sits on the counter. Unless I am staying awhile i rarely hook up to water.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:26 PM   #6

I sent you a reply...it should register at the top right corner of the forum pg. let me know you got it, or not. i can give you contact info here if needed..
Old 10-29-2018, 11:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
Are you aware that the water systems are not winter worthy even with full insulation? Ok if you are going to dry camp however, as the furnace is quite adequate.

With a 17A, the water system is: fresh water tank directly under the rear dinette floor, to a pump under the driver side bench seat, to the kitchen sink. Drain is to a bucket or other receptacle outside. We have the foam insulation under our 17A, and it is 2-3 inches thick (or more--never measured) under the fresh tank, so, with 60°± inside, it's going to have to approach -20° outside to be a problem.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:11 AM   #8

Thanks for the info. We dry camp a lot around Mammoth and Bachelor in our Aliner, very cold. Have you personal experience using water in consistently below freezing temps? I have no problem dry camping, but around the west, lots of times it is 25F or higher and was hopeing we might still be able to use sink at that temp. Would love to hear actual experience with water and temp in your 17A. And yes, we would most likely keep the thermostat set around or above 50F even if we are out skiing since it seems that heating up from that to comfort level would make more sense then letting the inside temp drop down to near freezing while driving or sitting unoccupied during the day
Old 10-30-2018, 11:38 AM   #9

I have no direct experience but I think that having a stick to prop open the driver's side rear bench (where the plumbing is) and opening the under sink cupboard doors when you are gone would also help. I think folks have used reflectix or other extra insulation on outside walls (and maybe floor) under the benches as well. If you are having permanent bed in front not sure how much room there is to crawl under there...Don would know.

Also interesting coincidence--I have owned two chalet aframes...escape was my step up. you will definitely find it warmer in the escape. So much more insulation than the aframe especially in walls/roof.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
.................under the benches as well. If you are having permanent bed in front not sure how much room there is to crawl under there...Don would know. .............

Yeah, I do know. I have crawled under the front permanent bed to do electrical runs. It's difficult to roll over, so I tend to pre-plan my entry attitude.
After the first time in freezing weather, I installed some carpeting (left over from the living room redo) on the floor of the compartment under the bed. That has made enough difference that we're now totally comfortable; no coldness at the outer edges. Caveat: the foam insulation sprayed underneath by ETI is pretty thin under the front part of our trailer. I'll probably install some rigid insulation at some point (E.G.: Ron from BC: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tion-7046.html)
I had spoken to Reace at the 2017 rally about the thin front application, and he was taking notes. Not the usual ETI std.!

P.S. I just went out and measured underfloor insulation thickness: it is 2 inch minimum all around the water tank, and in places over 3 inches. It is generally about 1½-2" on the trailer floor up to the front of the door, then drops to between ½" and a wisp at the front.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:01 PM   #11

scott, you may also want to take a look at Don's specific evaluation of his options a year after purchase, with a lot of good pictures. here: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...ater-8933.html