Article on Airstream Nest - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2018, 09:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Article on Airstream Nest

Airstream is going fiberglass with this new model but retains the high pricing...

Airstream Launches Nest Compact Travel Trailer
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Less costs more! I saw the article last week; only time will tell if it is a success, yet it is a high-end trailer with some pretty cool design features.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Maybe it's noticed already but doesn't that awning look familiar? The only difference I can see is that it has support legs - would they fit on the 2017+ models?
Old 04-18-2018, 11:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Even at half price it'd be a non-starter in this household. That floorplan would never work for us. A person coming and going has to squeeze by a person standing doing food prep. etc. I prefer side entry designs that allow for separation of uses. And the layout with the permanent bed , definitely isn't anything that I could ever be comfortable in.

So the front window was designed to look like a pair of ski googles, strange, that's never been one of my considerations.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Playpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Even at half price it'd be a non-starter in this household. That floorplan would never work for us. A person coming and going has to squeeze by a person standing doing food prep. etc. I prefer side entry designs that allow for separation of uses. And the layout with the permanent bed , definitely isn't anything that I could ever be comfortable in.

So the front window was designed to look like a pair of ski googles, strange, that's never been one of my considerations.

Ron
Hi Ron
What’s your thought on the bubble round skylight on the Playpacs? In person they are pretty Unik. Wait that’s another rig.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:35 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Ron
What’s your thought on the bubble round skylight on the Playpacs? In person they are pretty Unik. Wait that’s another rig.
Iowa Dave
Round skylights? That would remind me of the days when customizing vans was in full swing with round port holes etc.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:47 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Port holes

And the crazy names they had for those vehicles. Roach Coach, Wierdo wagon, and my personal “favorite” Stabbin Cabin”.
And the Bumper sticker had to be
“Don’t laugh, your daughter is in here”
Peace out, dude. No more Nukes
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
And the crazy names they had for those vehicles. Roach Coach, Wierdo wagon, and my personal “favorite” Stabbin Cabin”.
And the Bumper sticker had to be
“Don’t laugh, your daughter is in here”
Peace out, dude. No more Nukes
Iowa Dave

Hey, I had one of those....as a Hotwheels.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Maybe it's noticed already but doesn't that awning look familiar? The only difference I can see is that it has support legs - would they fit on the 2017+ models?
Tom: That awning looks like the Carefree Freedom WM that was originally being offered by Escape on the new 17's, but I think was discontinued due to incompatibility. Something about interference with the manual operator and the trailer body due to the mold recess I think.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...pics-9859.html
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:17 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Tom: That awning looks like the Carefree Freedom WM that was originally being offered by Escape on the new 17's, but I think was discontinued due to incompatibility. Something about interference with the manual operator and the trailer body due to the mold recess I think.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...pics-9859.html
Yep, that looks like the one. So the Escape has a fancier awning than the "expensive" Nest by Airstream?
Old 08-22-2018, 10:46 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
DixieRV, located on I-65 about halfway between Birmingham and Montgomery, AL, had a couple of the new Nests (by AirStream) on their lot today, so we stopped in and "kicked the tires." Very stylish, but not for us. However, if we were to win the lottery and decided to tour the country in style, the 2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 24TW (Mercedes chassis) we also checked out while there would be a mighty fine ride....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:14 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Nest Design Story

Got this on my newsfeed yesterday- tells the background of how the Nest came to market and the designer that helped make it happen.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/06/...-nest-trailer/

Toured one in Paso Robles yesterday at a dealer and while I like some of the quality in finishes it is pretty small. It says 16 on the outside, yet our 17B was much more spacious with a lot more storage and versatility. Was really surprised to see single-pane windows as well for a trailer with an MSRP of $45,000.
Attached Thumbnails
Nest.jpg  
Old 12-07-2018, 12:18 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
A lot of us followed Robert Johans on FiberglassRV from concept, to first build to sale to Airstream. LOTS of pics and posts by Robert: Nest Caravans — Building a new FG trailer, step by step - Fiberglass RV

and here: Introducing Nest Caravans - Fiberglass RV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Got this on my newsfeed yesterday- tells the background of how the Nest came to market and the designer that helped make it happen.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/06/...-nest-trailer/
It's bizarre how this article credits Thompson with all of Robert Johans' design work. I get that Thompson was apparently the promoter of Airstream doing a fiberglass trailer, but all of the design features described in the article came from Johans (before he made the deal with Airstream, and before the author met Thompson), not from Thompson.

At least now I know to completely disregard anything written by Jean Jennings, and to question anything published by Autoblog.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:41 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
46000 puts you in Bigfoot 21 country. Much more room, 4 season, ducting around tanks. Much better investment in my opinion. The Nest does look nice, but to much money for what it delivers. Only my opinion, others may differ.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:59 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
46000 puts you in Bigfoot 21 country. Much more room, 4 season, ducting around tanks. Much better investment in my opinion. The Nest does look nice, but to much money for what it delivers. Only my opinion, others may differ.
If you are comparing usable space in a product still of good quality, the Bigfoot 21 would win, but I doubt anyone considering the Nest would even be in the market for something like a Bigfoot. As far as an investment goes that would be in the eyes of each individual purchaser. Myself though, I would definitely be inclined to go the Bigfoot route too.

Taking it even further, though not as much from an investment perspective, have you seen what you can get in a stick built for $46k USD? Folks may scoff, but this is where the bulk of the market is, more trailer for less money.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
As I have mentioned before, when I was being interviewed for input by the Airstream people, they indicated that their thinking for the next moulded fibreglass offering would even be smaller than the current Nest. I indicated that my personal thoughts would be for bigger, but they had surveyed a lot of folks and feel there is a need for a unit with an emphasis more towards a mini-motel room, than on a unit for camping adventures. Something easily towed by smaller vehicles. No specifics were given though, but I imagine the target would be those with a more expensive car or SUV.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:54 PM   #18

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Agreed, the original 2013 design looks almost identical to the new Airstream Nest, even the color scheme looks similar! WOW...
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:03 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
If you are comparing usable space in a product still of good quality, the Bigfoot 21 would win, but I doubt anyone considering the Nest would even be in the market for something like a Bigfoot. As far as an investment goes that would be in the eyes of each individual purchaser. Myself though, I would definitely be inclined to go the Bigfoot route too.

Taking it even further, though not as much from an investment perspective, have you seen what you can get in a stick built for $46k USD? Folks may scoff, but this is where the bulk of the market is, more trailer for less money.
I agree with you fully Jim. Which is why I said only in my opinion. And yes you could get a really nice stick built for 46,000. But also with all with the inherent problems that go with them. I’ve owned three of them in the past and they all leaked after 18 to 24 months.
Although I have just run across this company in Oregon ORV | Outdoors RV Manufacturing
It looks to be at least on the web site that they are very well built to handle the long run.
Better yet how about getting Rease to design an Escape 23 or 5.0TA 23. I envision a rear U shaped dinette that breaks down into a full queen bed. Just dreaming.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:09 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
I agree , the Bigfoot is one fine trailer and a good investment .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote