Aux propane connection inside - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2018, 08:47 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
To put down the responses trying to assist you will find you not getting much help at all.

There is a huge resource of knowledge on here, which covers any situation that you will ever hit. You might do well to pay heed to some of it. Just sayin"......

Not that thinking outside the box is not a good thing either. There have been lots of really cool things done to member's trailers here that are not of the norm, but work very well.
X2
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:49 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
The important thing with any propane appliance to heat a tightly enclosed area is to not wake up the next morning dead. I like sleeping bags.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:59 AM   #23

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
Quote:
You will find many folks here that are very well versed in boondocking requirements.
I have no doubt that is true but the "why" responces, including yours ("I see no need for something like that at all when you have an onboard furnace already.") did not reflect that and are effectively critical of the idea - at least in the Escape. Particularly since I wasn't asking if it was needed or even if anyone thought it was a good idea. I just wanted to know if anyone had experience with requesting an inside connection so I could pre-plan my initial questions/build better. Obviously, at least I thought, from the way I did my original post, I currently use the heater and wanted to continue to do so.

It is about the same as if someone responded to you or anyone else in a like manner regarding an electric heater. After all, there is a perfectly good built-in propane furnace so why use almost half the electrical capacity for electric heat.

I'm not trying to be an ass or prolong this, just explaining myself.
StillCampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:24 AM   #24

Quote:
One thing I personally don't like is having a heater of any kind, gas or electric, loose in the trailer.
To further explain ...

I agree with this. You should try it in my Aframe. Even with replacing the dinette table with my custom made drop leaf table I have all of a 3x10 aisle of floor space with the table in it's "stored" position. And, being widowed, I use a lawn recliner as my chair and that uses most of that aisle.

My idea is that with a connection inside there would be not only no user hole in the shell but minimal to no hose on the floor. For example, compared to my Aframe the Escape has loads of storage cabinet space. Sacrificing some of that, such as the area that an oven would occupy (which I do not want) might allow for a tv mount to be installed that would have the heater out of the way within the cabinet when not in use and be swung out when wanted. The heat is directional so articulation is needed. An electric heater could be on that mount when power was available.

I'm a handy person but not a cabinet maker or finish carpenter. The more I can have the factory do the better it will look.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCampin View Post
I just wanted to know if anyone had experience with requesting an inside connection so I could pre-plan my build better.
This is what I was referring to. You have a plan, and folks that think it is not that feasible offer other ideas to help. Helping is what this site is mostly about (that and a little fun times too). You want to stick to plan A, and do not want to seem to want to entertain other plans. If folks can't see a way to make this work, are you suggesting they do not comment?
Quote:
It is about the same as if someone responded to you or anyone else in a like manner regarding an electric heater. After all, there is a perfectly good built-in propane furnace so why use almost half the electrical capacity for electric heat.
I would love to entertain such comments. I would try to explain my thought process while listening to their reasoning and maybe learn something along the way. BTW, I did it for 3 main reasons, first to have and endless supply of heat in the trailer while working on it outside during winter at home, to use campground electrical where available, and because it is quiter. Since the introduction of the quieter furnace in Escape trailers since my 19, the last reason is not all that valid any more. I also chose to build it in so that it would be right out of the way.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:32 AM   #26

The thing to first do would be put the query to Escape to see what they would do. I know that they must connect to an appliance, and that joint is the only one allowed inside. Not sure if a quick connect could be classified as an alliance though. Maybe if it was permanently installed?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #27

Quote:
This is what I was referring to. You have a plan, and folks that think it is not that feasible offer other ideas to help.
Too bad this isn't what occurred. No alternative offered, almost only criticism to a common practice.

Quote:
You want to stick to plan A, and do not want to seem to want to entertain other plans. If folks can't see a way to make this work, are you suggesting they do not comment?
Definately not. But "why would you" responces is not actually offering an alternative in this case. Sure, the built-in furnace does the same ultimate job, but does nothing to address the reason for the mod, ie: providing a good clean method to connect an alternative heat source that is boondocking friendly.

Quote:
I would love to entertain such comments. I would try to explain my thought process...
That is what I tried to do in my responce to the "why" comments. Just not in a manner that was deemed acceptable by you & others.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:04 AM   #28

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
The important thing with any propane appliance to heat a tightly enclosed area is to not wake up the next morning dead. I like sleeping bags.
Ditto, I like waking up alive also!
Old 08-01-2018, 10:08 AM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Why don’t you contact ETI to see if they will install the quick connect and when they say no simply install your own.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:16 AM   #30

To sum it up ...

I was not expecting what I've taken as critcal responces to this simple query. But I would expect it if I were to ask the forum about the possibility of putting a Winegard Travel'r satellute dish on the roof. That sucker is big, heavy and there are good alternatives.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:16 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
The reason why so many of us tried to post alternatives to using a non vented propane heater in a RV is that we enjoy life and don't want to see anyone try to shorten it. I had a long discussion with another RV owner about his wanting to install an electrical outlet in his wet shower to use for an electrical heater - it didn't take too much imagination to see where that was going to end up. Your idea of using a non vented propane heater is not too much different.

No RV manufacturer is going to install a non vented propane heater - the liability is too great as the chance of death is too high. A non vented propane heater may produce CO if malfunctioning but always consumes the oxygen in the trailer. Forget code as it is not allowed. Sure, there are those individuals who do it anyway but that is what freedom is - the right to make personal choices not matter how foolish.

The idea of using a non vented propane heater in an enclosed trailer should be challenged so that others are aware of the dangers - that is what a community of caring people do for those that might not know.

So, if you want to endanger your life with such foolishness, that's your right. We have the right to warn others that might read your posts that this is dangerous and should not be attempted.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Why don’t you contact ETI to see if they will install the quick connect and when they say no simply install your own.
That will be the final outcome. I was just trying to get an advance heads-up so I could proceed accordingly. Perhaps a pre-installed connection or a bulkhead "port" to run a line thru. An outside shower might be useful but so would the bare housing without plumbing installed.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:39 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
The reason why so many of us tried to post alternatives to using a non vented propane heater
I guess those posts could be construed as alternatives but they were not presented that way and, having hardly any connection to the underlying question, came across as extremely critical - and with no real substantiation behind them.

Quote:
A non vented propane heater produces CO
If operating correctly, the Wave heater produces NO CO. I don't but some people have run their's at night for years and they continue to "wake up alive again".

Quote:
The idea of using a non vented propane heater in an enclosed trailer should be challenged so that others are aware of the dangers - .
I agree, but, again, the "why" responces were not doing even this.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:45 AM   #34

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Ask any question and you are bound to get different opinions both for and against
If there is only one answer then there is no reason to ask the question .
As my father use to tell me “. Don’t waste my time asking for my opinion when your going to do what you want anyway “

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:55 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
I guess those posts could be construed as alternatives but they were not presented that way and, having hardly any connection to the underlying question, came across as extremely critical - and with no real substantiation behind them.

If operating correctly, the Wave heater produces NO CO. I don't but some people have run their's at night for years and they continue to "wake up alive again".

I agree, but, again, the "why" responces were not doing even this.
The Wave heaters are safer than some others in that it is a catalytic heater and if it is working correctly, should not emit CO. There are others such as the Mr. Heater Buddy that do. But as the heater consumes the oxygen, anyone in the trailer could fall into a sleep that they don't come out of. I don't know of anyone that has a low O2 monitor in their trailer.

I don't know how air tight your A frame trailer was but I can tell you that an Escape is fairly leak free - not a lot of air is going to get in unless some windows/vents are open. Please don't be the cause of another thread discussing the sad thing that happened to Tom and his Wave heater.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:59 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think you have answered your own question, installing the port outside, by a hatch opening, would address the concerns expressed re; installation. Use of, of course is at your own risk.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:21 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
As my father use to tell me “. Don’t waste my time asking for my opinion when your going to do what you want anyway “

I guess it could have posted something like this and save myself a lot of typing.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:42 AM   #38

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
I felt the 3 wasn’t quite enough last winter in my Aframe so I got the 6. The 6 actually turns down lower than the 3 so it is more versatile.
Good information to know.

I have been interested in the wave heaters for awhile but I haven't done long term cold weather camping in 5 or 6 years.

Thanks for sharing your info.

I would guess you could just tap off the stove supply.
I thought that the bathroom door would be a good uncluttered place to mount the wave unit.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:02 PM   #39

Quote:
...as the heater consumes the oxygen, anyone in the trailer could fall into a sleep that they don't come out of.
I don't know how air tight your A frame trailer ...
Yes, even tho it produces no CO it does use oxygen and produces "tons" of water vapor.

Thinking the Aframe as air tight would be a joke but, even so, one of the first setup steps I do is to open the ceiling vent about 2 inches and it stays open until folding the trailer down - and sometimes it goes back up to close the forgotten vent. This is in addition to running a small dehumidifier (Eva Dry 2200 with power, a "rechargable" 500 when without). Even without using the Wave inside and with the vent open the EvaDry is going to have to be emptied today or tomorrow after only 1.5 weeks.

I am likely to put in a composting toilet with an exhaust fan so air replacement in the Escape would be present even without sending the warmest air out a ceiling vent.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:09 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Quote:
I guess it could have posted something like this and save myself a lot of typing.
To clarify - this post was not looking for opinions tho it immediately became that. It was a simple question for possible experience regarding a potential build request.

Tags
aux propane, olympian, wave