Aux propane connection inside - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2018, 06:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
Question Aux propane connection inside

As I’m sitting here in my Clam screen shelter purusing the forum and making notes of what I might want to consider in my Escape, it dawns on me that the Olympian Wave heater that is keeping me warm will need a home in the Escape - something like hanging on a low cupboard door or similar location.

The mounting can easily be done after delivery, especially if the build includes its need for support. BUT, unlike my current Aframe trailer, I am not going to want to drill a hole in the floor to run the propane to it. In fact, why not have a low pressure propane port installed during the build, just like the outside one?

Has anyone done this - ie: gotten an aux propane connection inside the trailer?
Old 07-31-2018, 06:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I see no need for something like that at all when you have an onboard furnace already. If your concern is battery draw, it does not take much power, I forget off-hand what the consumption is. It is also a lot quieter than early versions of the furnace in the trailers.

A solar panel will keep up to any battery draw from the furnace too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCampin View Post
As I’m sitting here in my Clam screen shelter purusing the forum and making notes of what I might want to consider in my Escape, it dawns on me that the Olympian Wave heater that is keeping me warm will need a home in the Escape - something like hanging on a low cupboard door or similar location.

The mounting can easily be done after delivery, especially if the build includes its need for support. BUT, unlike my current Aframe trailer, I am not going to want to drill a hole in the floor to run the propane to it. In fact, why not have a low pressure propane port installed during the build, just like the outside one?

Just curious, Escape's come standard with a propane heater installed - why would you want two?
Old 07-31-2018, 06:56 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
An inside quick disconnect connection may be against Canadian code regulations. When I asked Casita to leave out their stovetop and just provide a capped propane line there so I could install my own stovetop, they would not do it as it violated Texas code. Same reason they would not leave out their head-banger stove hood - it was required by code if there was a stovetop installed.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
If your concern is battery draw, it does not take much power, I forget off-hand what the consumption is.
2.4 amps for the low amp Atwood model AFSAD12 used in the current Escapes (the Atwood manual only lists the ducted AFSD12 model at 3.4)
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:13 PM   #6

Yeah, that's it!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-31-2018, 08:26 PM   #7

Why? Because it is a capability that I currently use.

The furnace may be low draw but ... not NO draw. That 2.4 amp rating could easily double my usual daily draw. I’m retired and camp all year, not just “summer vacation” so even tho I avoid the snow & ice, it can get rather chilly.

The furnace may be relatively efficient but ... in comparison it is a hog and very wasteful. I don’t like my propane $ being blown outside to keep the spiders & such warm.

The furnace may be relatively quiet but ... not silent.

Solar may recharge the battery but it isn’t always shining ... ie: not all my boondocking camping is in the Arizona desert. In fact, my current location where I’m sitting in my Clam shelter with the Wave heater keeping me warm, is surrounded by trees such that: a) there is no way to get satellite reception; b) less than an hour of direct sun anywhere within the site even tho it is huge and private and with a stream going by and at high tide I can hear the waves; and c) as is not at all unusual on the WA coast, this is a very overcast day. Fortunately, this site has power and my little electric heater does the job for free.

The furnace is great when it is really cold, for a fast morning warm up and even to keep it from getting too cold at night when the Wave heater is turned off, and even has a thermostat. But the Wave heater does the lighter maintenance job cheaper without waste, quieter and with no battery drain.

If code doesn’t allow the manufacturer to install an inside port I foresee a custom mod.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:40 PM   #8

To put down the responses trying to assist you will find you not getting much help at all.

There is a huge resource of knowledge on here, which covers any situation that you will ever hit. You might do well to pay heed to some of it. Just sayin"......

Not that thinking outside the box is not a good thing either. There have been lots of really cool things done to member's trailers here that are not of the norm, but work very well.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I find my trailer’s furnace works well , and is fairly efficient and quiet
If I have to choose between an invented propane heater or a few btu’s going out the chimney ,I choose safety and the vented furnace
Good luck with your choice
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:43 PM   #10

Trailer: none
Quote:

The Olympian Wave heaters are very nice, and efficient- great choice for boondocking! Do you have the Wave 3, 6, or 8? I suspect the 3 would be sufficient for the small size of the Escapes.

Probably best to contact ETI to see if a propane modification could be made at the build. Let us know what they say if you do as it's a mod I would be interested as well!
Old 07-31-2018, 09:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Probably best to contact ETI to see if a propane modification could be made at the build. Let us know what they say if you do as it's a mod I would be interested as well!

Highly unlikely that ETI would install a mod that is unsafe and against code. Good luck to you.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Highly unlikely that ETI would install a mod that is unsafe and against code. Good luck to you.
Not sure about the code issue but it is not unsafe. Numerous RV'ers use the Wave heaters. It's not any more dangerous than any other propane line that runs inside your RV. You just need to make sure you ventilate properly.

The heaters are great because they provide more of a radiant heat, rather than a forced air heat. They supplement the installed heaters nicely.

For those not familiar with this type of heater . . .
Old 08-01-2018, 12:37 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I prefer a propane furnace that uses oxygen from outside the trailer and expels combustion gases to the outside.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:21 AM   #14

Quote:
The Olympian Wave heaters are very nice, and efficient- great choice for boondocking!
Someone that actually knows boondocking needs.

Quote:
Do you have the Wave 3, 6, or 8?
I happen to currently have both the Wave 3 & Wave 6. I felt the 3 wasn’t quite enough last winter in my Aframe so I got the 6. The 6 actually turns down lower than the 3 so it is more versatile. The electric heater is used when I have power & the Wave when I don’t. I’ve been out in the Aframe for about 5 months total in 2018, including early Jan traveling northern US 101 and I can’t remember the last time the furnace ran. Same trip same time in 2017 with just the furnace and I needed to refill propane at least weekly. This year I probably used 6 tanks for my complete 3.5 month trip.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:36 AM   #15

Quote:
To put down the responses trying to assist you will find you not getting much help at all.
I am sorry you or anyone took my response in that manner. I tried to lighten it up and hide my surprise at the “why would you” responses pertaining to a very common RVing practice and demonstrate the reasons “why”. Apparently my method/style needs work.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I prefer a propane furnace that uses oxygen from outside the trailer and expels combustion gases to the outside.
I understand what you are saying but the only “combustion gasses” produced by the Wave catalytic heater is water vapor because it is a true catalytic heater with no flame after initial startup. A heater with an actual flame, like the Buddy heaters, do produce carbon monoxide.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Someone that actually knows boondocking needs.
You will find many folks here that are very well versed in boondocking requirements. Well over 90% of my RV camping over the last 30 years has been without services, much of it actually boondocking. You may not believe it but I actually am well versed with boondocking needs.

If you research here and read through some past applicable threads, you will find a wealth of knowledge regarding RVing without services, as many actually prefer this camping style, the cost savings associated with it, and the great camping locations this style opens up.

Escape trailers are very well suited to boondocking given their size and weight. As well, with the extra insulation and thermal windows, they hold heat quite well. I have camped hordes at temps near or a bit below freezing (not a lot of choice in Alberta if you want to go out) and the furnace does not run all that much.

One thing I personally don't like is having a heater of any kind, gas or electric, loose in the trailer. This is why I took it upon myself to add a built in electric heater in anticipation of possibly having more hook-ups in the future. When I had a cube heater it was always in the way, and our dog was not a fan of it either.

You will get lots of opinion on here, much of which you may or may not agree with, or something that does not really affect your camping style, but it still pays to listen to it and not just that of those that are in agreement with you. There is lots to learn outside our own range of knowledge, and I love learning stuff.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:18 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I installed a Wave heater in my Lance 1880 via a "T" connection going to the stove. While it worked the way intended, little did I know that my install violated various codes requiring a solid line to the appliance without any connections inside. when I sold the trailer I removed the heater and told the owner to have the trailer inspected to insure it was up to code and put that in writing in the bill of sale agreement which we both signed. I subsequently installed the Wave in my Eggcamper, an all electric trailer, thus there were not any connections inside , other than to the appliance. My point being, the various regulations are there for your protection. Any aberration should be disclosed and the risk known to any buyer.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:22 AM   #19

Quote:
You will find many folks here that are very well versed in boondocking requirements. Well over 90% of my RV camping over the last 30 years has been without services, much of it actually boondocking. You may not believe it but I actually am well versed with boondocking needs.

If you research here and read through some past applicable threads, you will find a wealth of knowledge regarding RVing without services, as many actually prefer this camping style, the cost savings associated with it, and the great camping locations this style opens up.

Escape trailers are very well suited to boondocking given their size and weight. As well, with the extra insulation and thermal windows, they hold heat quite well. I have camped hordes at temps near or a bit below freezing (not a lot of choice in Alberta if you want to go out) and the furnace does not run all that much.

One thing I personally don't like is having a heater of any kind, gas or electric, loose in the trailer. This is why I took it upon myself to add a built in electric heater in anticipation of possibly having more hook-ups in the future. When I had a cube heater it was always in the way, and our dog was not a fan of it either.

You will get lots of opinion on here, much of which you may or may not agree with, or something that does not really affect your camping style, but it still pays to listen to it and not just that of those that are in agreement with you. There is lots to learn outside our own range of knowledge, and I love learning stuff.
Jim, no disrespect intended here as well. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this forum and have learned a lot in the short time I've been here.

Regarding the Wave heaters, they can be permanently mounted if preferred. Many people do. Some, however, leave them portable so they can be moved to various locations within the RV. Check your local codes.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Jim, no disrespect intended here as well. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this forum and have learned a lot in the short time I've been here.

Regarding the Wave heaters, they can be permanently mounted if preferred. Many people do. Some, however, leave them portable so they can be moved to various locations within the RV. Check your local codes.
None taken at all, Greg. Like you, I have learned an incredible amount of stuff on this site, much of which I have incorporated into the build and mods I did with my trailer. I also like to share in the hopes I can help someone else.

I have seen some of the permanent mounts of these heaters, but in an Escape there is very little place to add one. I had looked into a small one permanently mounted in the Trillium 1300 I built as it needed a new furnace, but it took up too much valuable wall space so I went with a much more compact and efficient Propex heater.

I have nothing against anyone using a catalytic heater if they so wish, I just do not see it as the best solution for heating an Escape trailer with propane. One needs to realize that on this site you are going to get lots of opinions, and one should not expect only opinions that align with their own. But if we pay attention to these opinions, we will learn lots.

Tags
aux propane, olympian, wave