Awning & window changes - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2018, 11:14 PM   #41

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Our Escape is the classic design, with the sliders. The extra (optional) opening window over the sink is awning style. With that one open and the maxx fan going, pets should have a comfortable stay in the trailer, when needed.
Ok, I could live with that. One awning (or jalousie), so air can circulate even in rain. Over the sink is a good place for it, in case a few stray drops manage to blow in!
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:18 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
Whoa! Back up the truck.
Did you use jumper cables or just plug the 7pin from the trailer to your TV. I’m just about to purchase a cheap back-up battery for our 2-3 week trip of mixed boondocking and full service and worry about what I’d do if I ran out of juice before the awning is retracted.. Little off topic, but not really. That’s one worry I’ve always had with this awning.
We were in a bit of a rush to catch a ferry so I used jumper cables. Figured cables would have a bit less resistance and would charge faster than the 7-pin connector.

I did know about the manual override but didn’t try it.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:24 PM   #43

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
If I remember correctly, look at the top hinge - if it has screws, Illinois - if it has rivets, California.

Rease has had both my replacements sent from Illinois - you can tell the difference in quality. Makes you wonder what they are smoking on the west coast.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:53 PM   #44

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Quote:
The window problem is not Rease's fault - he tried to give us the best trailer he could build. Hehr is the one that let everyone down. The windows coming out of California were crap. On one of mine, the split windows were so out of line, that one window hit both seals of the middle bar and the other didn't hit any part of the seal and had an air gap into the trailer. Look in the pic - that window should have been striking the middle seal, not to the side of it.

I can understand why Rease has had enough of this. He takes great pride in what he turns out but his only control on part manufacturers is to stop using them if they can't maintain quality.

And I would think that not all the trailers have problems with the windows. On most of them, the windows are fine. But for the ones that were faulty, it was probably giving Rease grey hairs dealing with Hehr.
Over what span of time did your windows go out of alignment?
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:39 AM   #45

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Yes cad, I can switch to the manual awning and frame windows if I choose, we will be going with the manual awning but staring with the frameless due to the back window over the dinette will not open with the windows with a frame
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:45 AM   #46

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think I'm going to stick with the frameless with the caveat that Reace inspects and insures they are the Illinois and not the California plant edition. I love the rear opening windows and with the 21 and "U" option, even more important. As far as the power awning, I have had no issue with mine, once properly adjusted. It protects the awning material, no support arms, and just a lot easier to use. Plus, the recessed mold allows the smooth look, not sure what the old style will look like with the new mold and arms.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:19 AM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Just remember, right now there are TWO options for the frame-less windows. Thermal and single-pane. IF you still want frame-less in 2019, they would be single-pane. I don't know how many people order the option for thermal windows. I know it was the number one option I choose.

From ETI's website:

"Escape Trailer Industries will also be removing the Frame-less Thermal Windows from their Options List."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:35 AM   #48

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
If I remember correctly, look at the top hinge - if it has screws, Illinois - if it has rivets, California.

Rease has had both my replacements sent from Illinois - you can tell the difference in quality. Makes you wonder what they are smoking on the west coast.
It's probably more a reflection of the outstanding midwest work ethic!
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:38 AM   #49

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Yes cad, I can switch to the manual awning and frame windows if I choose, we will be going with the manual awning but staring with the frameless due to the back window over the dinette will not open with the windows with a frame
We must have the option also since we are behind you with an October delivery. I will have to confirm which windows open with the framed option before making a decision.

I do like the simplicity and strength of the manual awning, and the ability to hang a shade cloth off one side to actually provide shade.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:47 AM   #50

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
Over what span of time did your windows go out of alignment?
They were that way when I picked up the trailer at Chilliwack.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:03 AM   #51

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think I'm going to stick with the frameless with the caveat that Reace inspects and insures they are the Illinois and not the California plant edition. I love the rear opening windows and with the 21 and "U" option, even more important. As far as the power awning, I have had no issue with mine, once properly adjusted. It protects the awning material, no support arms, and just a lot easier to use. Plus, the recessed mold allows the smooth look, not sure what the old style will look like with the new mold and arms.
At this point, I would expect that the Hehr facility in California would have corrected the assembly issues that were prevalent when they first started up. The Hehr California facility had just started up in 2016 when Rease was making the switch to the frameless windows. My trailer happened to be one of the first "2017" trailers built and has windows from Hehr California.

When I referenced the difference in quality between the two Hehr facilities, I should have qualified that statement by saying that it was between the early California windows and the replacement windows I received from the Illinois facility. I'm sure that Hehr had serious discussions with the California facility when the number of warranty returns escalated.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:37 AM   #52

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
ETI posted on Facebook today:

There will be some minor changes to the Escape Travel Trailer for 2019.

These changes will include the return of the Carefree Fiesta Manual Awning with Arms as a standard feature.
Effective January 1, 2019 we will no longer be offering the Dometic Power Awning. This change will see the base price of the trailer reduced by $700.00cdn to reflect the difference in cost between the two awnings.

Escape Trailer Industries will also be removing the Frame-less Thermal Windows from their Options List. Framed Thermal Windows will be available to replace this option.

Available 2019 Completion Dates and pricing will be updated shortly to reflect these changes.
For those that like the awning windows, there should be no worries. Sounds to me like the frameless (swingout) single pane windows are still going to be standard issue for the Escape trailers. It is only if you want the thermal option that you will be required to have the framed (sliding) windows.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:43 AM   #53

Trailer: none
Newbie here. What are awning windows?
Old 07-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #54

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
like jalousie windows, open at mid way and allow use in rainy weather whereas the sliders are either open or closed from the side and can allow rain to enter.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #55

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
like jalousie windows, open at mid way and allow use in rainy weather whereas the sliders are either open or closed from the side and can allow rain to enter.
OK, I understand now. On my HiLo, all the windows were jalousie type except for one slider next to the entry door. I preferred the jalousie windows.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #56

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Just remember, right now there are TWO options for the frame-less windows. Thermal and single-pane. IF you still want frame-less in 2019, they would be single-pane. I don't know how many people order the option for thermal windows. I know it was the number one option I choose.

From ETI's website:

"Escape Trailer Industries will also be removing the Frame-less Thermal Windows from their Options List."

Interesting...I assumed that if you did not get the frame-less thermal that you ended up with single-pane sliders.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #57

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Is there something unique about the installation of frameless windows in a fiberglass trailer ?
Last week we stopped at a large RV dealer in our area and almost every trailer on the lot except for the very low end had frameless thermopane windows
I like the looks of the frameless windows but if it is a choice between looks and no leaks then I would choose NO leaks
I applaud ETI for choosing function over form !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:17 AM   #58

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
If you have pets and worried about sliders in the rain while you are away...keep in mind that the “escape window” is an awning style. However you might want to make it difficult to unlock when open.
If you are ordering the awning with side arms that may block the passenger side windows from opening...l would strongly consider getting the optional kitchen window for ventilation on that side.
With the change over of the awning very visible in the showroom to customers...I would say that ETI will be selling off their display units very soon. These units have only been in the showroom for a very short period of time and would get you camping this year. If you have a basic unit on order or thinking of one, you might want pick up the phone and get your name on one.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:48 PM   #59

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Newbie here. What are awning windows?
Windows that don't open very much with little cross ventalation . My brother hates them on his Class A motorhome . There are acrylic windows that are awning windows that I wouldn't mind having . Because of the awning change though the awning windows would be a problem . We have the sliders and never had any issue with rain coming in . Who opens all their windows in the rain anyway ?
Our kitchen window is a awning window that is under the classic awning in the rain and you have the max fan that should be on for condensation . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #60

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
(Awning) Windows ... don't open very much with little cross ventalation .
Hmmm. I didn't know that. How far do they open? Anyone care to post a photo of an awning window opened to the max? I'd like to see.

I'd just assumed they would open to perhaps a 40 or 45 degree angle, like some of the jalousies I'm familiar with.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote