Bathroom grab bar? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2020, 08:07 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We have never had need for a grab bar in the bath, though my wife does use the sink to steady when standing up at times. If we do need one in the future, I would just attach it to the framing on the side of the door like Ed did.

I loaded 2700 kg (5940 lb) into my dump trailer by hand yesterday, then dug and shovelled a wheelbarrowed a huge amount of soil. This helps keep me in shape for toilet yoga. Sure glad I am still young.

Picking up some big stones for a couple retaining walls later today. Might just rent a small skidsteer to help with those. Besides, have at least 4 truckloads of black dirt to spread around, and that would be better than a wheelbarrow.

Oh man, I may need that grab bar sooner than I expected.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:21 AM   #22

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I loaded 2700 kg (5940 lb) into my dump trailer by hand yesterday, then dug and shovelled a wheelbarrowed a huge amount of soil. This helps keep me in shape for toilet yoga. Sure glad I am still young.
The trouble with that stuff is that you are mostly exercising upper body! and it is the knees that tend to go. I need to bike more. But good to know I could do a bar by the door.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:29 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
The trouble with that stuff is that you are mostly exercising upper body! and it is the knees that tend to go. I need to bike more. But good to know I could do a bar by the door.
Yup bike riding will strengthen your thighs which in turn help the knees . Hopefully though you don’t have a injury. The bar closer to helping you get up is more ideal .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:15 PM   #24

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
With upper body strength, one could use a cane. Just a thought.

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Yup bike riding will strengthen your thighs which in turn help the knees . Hopefully though you don’t have a injury. The bar closer to helping you get up is more ideal .Pat
No injury so hopefully it stays that way! But they did say both that they could put a grab bar in and that they thought they could put the Thetford comfort height toilet in. The latter would be my preference if they can do it. That's what I have at home and no need for assistance with that extra five inches.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
With upper body strength, one could use a cane. Just a thought.
True, I thought about that. And it would be easy enough to leave one in the bathroom for that purpose.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:03 PM   #27

Quote:
No injury so hopefully it stays that way! But they did say both that they could put a grab bar in and that they thought they could put the Thetford comfort height toilet in. The latter would be my preference if they can do it. That's what I have at home and no need for assistance with that extra five inches.
Sounds good . The height of the toilet really can help . For me I am right handed so I can’t use a cane for anything due to damage on that side . It puts pressure on the right shoulder using a cane . The right knee is the problem one too due to bad fall a few years back all on that side . So get everything you can because there is no guarantees in life . Even though I climb up on roofs even now the fall was a unexpected slip when I was on the ground . Pat
Old 06-03-2020, 09:56 PM   #28

That's part of why I am going for the new trailer now- who knows how long I'll be able to keep camping? So anything that helps keep it possible as I age will be worth it. I know I keep wishing there was another handle at the door but now I forget where- I need to climb in and out of my 15 a few times and figure out whether I want them to put one inside somewhere. Those slip and falls can take out a shoulder really easily, too.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:35 AM   #29

Quote:
That's part of why I am going for the new trailer now- who knows how long I'll be able to keep camping? So anything that helps keep it possible as I age will be worth it. I know I keep wishing there was another handle at the door but now I forget where- I need to climb in and out of my 15 a few times and figure out whether I want them to put one inside somewhere. Those slip and falls can take out a shoulder really easily, too.
Bet your excited about your new trailer ! We got to keep going as long as we can . I’m not familiar with the newer 17 but you’ll figure it out . Lots can be done later too . Luckily you don’t live far from Escape . Fun days ahead ! Just go with your gut ! Pat
Old 06-04-2020, 08:15 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
While the upper body does get a good workout, lifting many, many 50 lb plus objects does give the legs a great workout too. As mentioned, I am only 62 so a youngster by average around here. I do plan to stay in good shape as I age, I see too many folks taking it too easy (in my way of thinking) as they age.

Biking is a great way to get exercise, see things, and is lots of fun too. Blasting a trail on a mountain bike, or just going for a cruise on flatter stuff are great things to do.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:46 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Bet your excited about your new trailer ! We got to keep going as long as we can . I’m not familiar with the newer 17 but you’ll figure it out . Lots can be done later too . Luckily you don’t live far from Escape . Fun days ahead ! Just go with your gut ! Pat
It would be nice to be able to go there and pick it up. It will be ironic if it turns out that I picked up my used 15 at Escape (previous owner was picking up a new trailer and met me there) but have to wait on this side of the border for my new 17b. I now wish I'd gone up with Mimi for her orientation last fall.

But at least the 15 came with a manual. My Campster had nothing and I knew nothing- great combination! A local fiberglass RV guy came down and explained some things to me and I learned the rest as things broke down.

And now even if I can't go Escape has these great videos and we have all the forum help- even if there are no simple answers!
Old 06-04-2020, 12:46 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Frankly, I don't see a problem here.
Attached Thumbnails
grabhandle.jpg  
Old 06-10-2020, 10:56 AM   #33

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
Shower Grab Bar

I knew from experience that I wanted a grab bar in the shower. I ordered my 5.0 with some reinforced walls, including the shower. I went without the sink and had ETI put in a std shower faucet in the wall. I then installed this bar and not only have a grab bar but my shower head height is adjustable.
Attached Thumbnails
2020-06-10-08-47-18.jpg  
Old 06-10-2020, 12:06 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCampin View Post
I knew from experience that I wanted a grab bar in the shower. I ordered my 5.0 with some reinforced walls, including the shower. I went without the sink and had ETI put in a std shower faucet in the wall. I then installed this bar and not only have a grab bar but my shower head height is adjustable.
Great idea ! Pat
Old 06-10-2020, 12:53 PM   #35

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Frankly, I don't see a problem here.
You mean aside from the toilet paper getting soggy from the shower?

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 06-10-2020, 02:18 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
re: You mean aside from the toilet paper getting soggy from the shower?

But that only happens once a month, when I take my shower, whether I need it or not.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:23 PM   #37

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Nice, Tom. Double duty is always good.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:46 PM   #38

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Bobbie, we ordered the higher profile Thetford throne because of my muscle weakness. I’ve found that taller seats are so much easier to use. It might be something that you and others might consider.

We all age...knee and hip arthritis/pain and other physical problems are very common and could arise unexpectedly. So, preparing and getting something that’s ergonomically helpful may be a wise choice, Keeping the future in mind.

We also purchased an extra grab bar from ETI, which I intend on placing on the door frame to assist my entry into the trailer. It’s only around five Canadian dollars.

Finally, we also intend on installing a towel/grab bar either spanning the length of the wall, installing it into the corner and the door frame, vs. installing a vertical bar along the door frame. I think it just pays to plan ahead for both the expected and unexpected!

We will be getting our trailer in July, so I can report back to let you know how that all works out for us. Congratulations on your new Escape! We can’t wait to see ours!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:54 PM   #39

I think with the high profile I won't need anything else. But I want them to put a grab bar INSIDE the door because I like my hand on one as I go out and I have to turn it backwards to use the outside one.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:06 PM   #40

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
I think with the high profile I won't need anything else. But I want them to put a grab bar INSIDE the door because I like my hand on one as I go out and I have to turn it backwards to use the outside one.
Bobby54, if you are referring to the trailer's entry door (not the bath door). I think all the trailers have the "stripper pole", that is what we use when exiting the trailer.