Boogey awning light strip - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
Boogey awning light strip

Anyone have these? Were they ETI installed or DIY?

RV & Trailer LED Kits - Boogey Lights
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:55 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Just one man's opinion mind you, but here goes.

Way overpriced for a 300 smd 5050 multicolor strip. They speak at length about how most led strips used on trailers are designed for indoor use. That's simply not true. Mine are IP67 rated for external use, completely waterproof. Same number of smd's, same 5050 type. The strip was under $20. The RF controller was less than $15.

As for installation, Escape will install a single color (white) LED strip that's an option with the awning. They won't install Boogey Lights or any other brand of aftermarket strip.

One last thing. They speak at length about how much brighter their lights are. That's a two edged sword. The intensity of the lights is directly related to the power output of the controller. Brighter lights, more power used. And, their tiny controller will get quite hot when running the lights at full intensity. The other thing is, do you really need the lights to be that bright? Not unless you want to upset your fellow campers. We have to dim our strip way down most of the time for a pleasing amount of light. My overall impression of their site is that they're not saying anything new or amazing, but they say it like they are.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The other thing is, do you really need the lights to be that bright? Not unless you want to upset your fellow campers. We have to dim our strip way down most of the time for a pleasing amount of light.
Robert raises an excellent point here, many folks (myself included) do not want to see trailers lit up brightly just for the reason that owners think it looks cool. Using any exterior light at a lower level that still works for your purpose is appreciated. Lots of good reasons for using task lighting, but none for lighting your trailer up like a Christmas tree.

This actually has me thinking. Often I find the porch light way too bright for anything but for task lighting like cooking, and wish I could dim it sometimes. This might be where a dimmable strip light might be nice, producing a very modest light level. I wonder if there is anything like a dimmable porch light out there? Hmmm, off to use Google search powers.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:43 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
LED RV dimmer

LED Strip Lighting, Light Dimmer - Black - Diamond LDSDIM25 - Patio Lights - Camping World
Old 11-20-2016, 07:59 AM   #5

Haven't gone looking yet, but that would certainly do the trick for the porch light.

Also available in white.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-20-2016, 08:26 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Jim Bennett... I dimmed mine permanently by replacing the clear lens with an amber one. Cheap solution!!! I also use indirect light from the fixture under the loft that lights the hatches on the front of the 5.0TA. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:41 AM   #7

Thanks for the suggestions! I too do not want a brightly lit up trailer... ! If I go with a light strip I would want one with a dimmer and a choice of colors - maybe orange or blue in addition to white that can be dimmed. Since ETI does not install other light strips, are they easy to install? Should I have an outlet near the strip? Obviously I have more research to do.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:46 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had a bad experience with my self installed led light strip, I saw the factory one at Osoyoos and went home and tried to duplicate it. I purchased the kit and drilled the hole and it worked fine for a year. Then part of the strip failed. I purchased a replacement strip and gave it to the new owners. I went with the factory installed one not the new unit, at least is has a 2 year warranty.....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0008.JPG  
Old 11-20-2016, 08:49 AM   #9

Now, if I could have a dimmer with the factory install - that would do it.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:51 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It does come with a dimmer, on a remote.....
Old 11-20-2016, 08:57 AM   #11

Great - I thought I had read in some post that it wasn't dimmable - so that settles it - thanks!
Old 11-20-2016, 09:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jim Bennett... I dimmed mine permanently by replacing the clear lens with an amber one. Cheap solution!!! I also use indirect light from the fixture under the loft that lights the hatches on the front of the 5.0TA. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
I have considered that, but there are a few times where the full power would be needed, but way less than a dimmer one, that's for sure.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:58 AM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Still like a candle.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Still like a candle.
A hopeless romantic......
Old 11-20-2016, 03:01 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
That's a nice package for an RV, especially one already using that style of switches. Too bad it's so expensive for what it is... especially by the time it gets to us in Canada (Diamond LDSDIM25 @ Amazon.ca)

It's also a good thing that retailers don't need to understand anything. It's a Pulse Width Modulation dimmer; Pulse Wave Modulation is meaningless.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 04:51 PM   #16
Site Team

Just to be clear for those who are reading this thread for the first time: there's no need for a separate dimmer for an LED strip, because the controller remote can dim it. The dimmer switch mentioned above would be for the light fixture, not the strip.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:47 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Just to be clear for those who are reading this thread for the first time: there's no need for a separate dimmer for an LED strip, because the controller remote can dim it. The dimmer switch mentioned above would be for the light fixture, not the strip.
It would still be for an LED strip that does not come with a dimmer - there are many LED strips available, including plain white ones with no included controller.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:09 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It would still be for an LED strip that does not come with a dimmer - there are many LED strips available, including plain white ones with no included controller.
Well yeah, there are strips sold without a controller - mine included. But, in a trailer application, you need a controller to hook them up to 12V power - and the controllers, even for plain white lights (at least all the ones I've seen) have a dimming feature built in.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:36 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Personal taste, but my wife and I walk a lot at night while camping, and we like the appearance of camp sites where the occupants have laid a strip of very dim LED lights on the ground along the edge of the camp site pad so it dimly illuminates a walking path from road to camper door (reminiscent of little luminary candles lighting a pathway) without lighting up the whole camp site. Being laid along the ground, they usually are not even visible more than a camp site or two away. That's likely what we'll do and is why we chose not to have an LED light strip factory mounted up on the awning. Again, just personal taste.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote