Build sheet 21' almost there - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2015, 12:41 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
But, can't you just continue to have the bearings checked and repacked?
It seems grease is being pumped in instead of checking seals and replacing them for a while, is it not? --- grease that can go past the seals. That is of no benefit that we can see and also can do more harm than good.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:49 AM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
But, you don't have to pump grease into them.
I would think that you can just continue with regular maintenance, as with the standard bearings.
I understand the desire to pump grease - I had Bearing Buddies on my tent trailer, and grease all over the wheels - but unless I'm missing something, I'd just save the $100 and not use the "feature".
Old 05-06-2015, 12:53 AM   #23

We go to a bunch of RV places. If they can pump grease in, they will.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:11 AM   #24

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
What is a white belly band?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:34 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
What is a white belly band?
Hi: Fox hunt... That's easy. It's the band that goes around the white belly!!! LoL I think it replaces the black one. I hope I was politically correct on that? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:58 AM   #26

You are always politically correct, Alf!
Yes, it is a white band instead of the black one.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:39 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Paul has a 21' and apparently did not pay for bike rack ready. Did others with a 21' pay for it who have it?
Mine came with it, no charge.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:45 AM   #28

Cubbies are a nice finished touch and provide a lot of that "hidden out of sight but needed storage" like trash bags, paper towels, toilet tissue. The extra door handle is really redundant as the stripper pole is real handy by the door. With the "U" dinette there is limited outside hatch storage access as both side benches have items there, batteries on curb and EMS and converter on street side. The entire rear is available but not sure you can get access from outside there. I agree on the axle, if standard, leave it be, may need it one day but you do not have to use it. You can always tell if the the center axle cover was removed in lieu of removing the entire wheel to repack the bearings. I deleted the heat pads on BlackJack but kept the foam, never needed them. I also got 2 X 12v drops under the bed for lights, real handy at night time.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:19 AM   #29

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I understand the desire to pump grease - I had Bearing Buddies on my tent trailer, and grease all over the wheels
This is similar to what I ran into with the EZ Lube on my last trailer. Pumped in new grease slowly while spinning the wheel till I saw new grease coming out. Went through almost 2 tubes of grease, much more going in then coming out. For the rest of that year and the next, one of the wheels and tires had grease on it after every trip. Looked like spin art.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:48 AM   #30

Better to have grease spin art than to have burned out bearings....
Old 05-06-2015, 06:21 AM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I don't really understand the aversion to the EZ Lube Axles by many people, but to each his own. I like the rest of the options sheet.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:10 AM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Mine came with it, no charge.
If you look at some of the build photos, you'll see that ETI uses the bike rack receiver to stabilize the trailer when they are working in it. Seems like I remember a higher weight capacity bike rack was available for an extra $50 charge. The standard is 150# on our 19'.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:15 AM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
About the only thing I'd change is the single propane tank. While I don't use the automatic switch over unless I'm low on the first tank and going to be away from the trailer, it is handy to have the second tank to provide gas while finding a place to fill the empty.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:36 AM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
it is handy to have the second tank to provide gas while finding a place to fill the empty.
It is an immutable Law of Nature that your propane tank will run out at 2 AM on the coldest morning ever recorded for wherever you are.

“The journey not the arrival matters.” – T. S. Eliot
Grant & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:51 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Cubbies are a nice finished touch and provide a lot of that "hidden out of sight but needed storage" like trash bags, paper towels, toilet tissue. The extra door handle is really redundant as the stripper pole is real handy by the door. With the "U" dinette there is limited outside hatch storage access as both side benches have items there, batteries on curb and EMS and converter on street side. The entire rear is available but not sure you can get access from outside there. I agree on the axle, if standard, leave it be, may need it one day but you do not have to use it. You can always tell if the the center axle cover was removed in lieu of removing the entire wheel to repack the bearings. I deleted the heat pads on BlackJack but kept the foam, never needed them. I also got 2 X 12v drops under the bed for lights, real handy at night time.
We really do not know the cubby situation then as we thought a lot of space was being lost in blocked off spaces that cannot be used within it --- that is not the case from what you are saying. So will have to look at that some more.

You have bike rack ready at no charge and someone else was charged. Wonder how many were charged.

Our grab handle would be on forward side, opposite side to the one on exterior.

From what we get on bearings, they would never need grease added without checking the seals, but adding grease can and has ruined seals and brakes? Grease is being blindly put in. Do not see the benefit of that, only harm.

The extra hatch would be on driver's side. From Charlie's photos, there is space in the bench to access. (Thank you, Charlie!). That is where we put some exterior items and a hatch there would be very handy for us.

Don't know about drops in the cabinets. We have a puck light that we used three years that never needed batteries changed. What kind of charge for drops? Only above bed or elsewhere?

Thank you for your comments, ModJim and everyone.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I think Cathy is saying she will have two propane tanks, she is just opting to have Escape only fill one for her pickup and travel after. On my first trailer I choose not to have them filled, but then again that trailer, with two others, was trucked across Canada. Seemed silly to have them haul full propane bottles. Now, when picking up my second trailer I had Escape fill both bottles, I did not want to spend the time and effort to find propane in Sumas, I wanted to start stuffing groceries from the local Safeway in Lynden. As a matter of fact I started the refrigerator during the demo so it would have time to cool down by delivery time. Time for camping, not fueling.

At Burger Bob's, while Janet was stowing our gear inside the new trailer, a process where my job is to get out of the way, I was busy waxing the front of the trailer. Late May in Canada, the bug capitol of the world, I wanted to be able to easily remove the anticipated accumulation, wax seemed like and did work to make that process easier.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:12 AM   #37

Yes, dual propane tanks are standard on the 21'. Having one filled. Had to check on that!
Old 05-06-2015, 09:13 AM   #38

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Don't know about drops in the cabinets. We have a puck light that we used three years that never needed batteries changed.
I don't understand the need for these either--either the expense or the time involved installing lights. I had only one dark upper cabinet (rear driver's side); it was kind of junky because all my dry goods were in there. Slapping on an inexpensive puck light solved that problem and it's still good after two years on the same battery.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #39

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
This is similar to what I ran into with the EZ Lube on my last trailer. Pumped in new grease slowly while spinning the wheel till I saw new grease coming out. Went through almost 2 tubes of grease, much more going in then coming out. For the rest of that year and the next, one of the wheels and tires had grease on it after every trip. Looked like spin art.
That's the right method... but even more grease than the flush should take. Was the extra inside the brake drum? That would spin out on the inboard side... and the brake would not work properly.

I think the concern with having unwanted E-Z Lube is not for owners who do their own maintenance (who can just choose to not use it), but for owners who get someone else to do the work. It would be bad to pay for the required disassembly and inspection with repacking, and instead have the "mechanic" just pump grease into the E-Z Lube fitting.

It would be even worse if they failed to rotate the hub while pumping, or pumped too hard with a power grease gun, and blew grease right past the seal into the brake drum.

An alternative to omitting (at extra cost) E-Z Lube is to get it, but then remove the grease injection fitting and replace them with plain plugs. The E-Z Lube feature would then be disabled, but it would also truly be harmless.... unless some joker replaces the fitting to save himself the effort of doing the proper job.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Build sheet 21' almost there

Quote:
From what we get on bearings, they would never need grease added without checking the seals, but adding grease can and has ruined seals and brakes? Grease is being blindly put in. Do not see the benefit of that, only harm.

Opinions vary. According to Dexter, you put in new grease until it flushes old grease out through the cap. You've just re packed your bearings without pulling the hub or having to mess with seals. I think part of the confusion is that people are applying old rules to a new design. The grease isn't going in blindly. It goes through the channel to the back bearing then is directed to the front bearing, and finally out the cap. You add it until you see new grease coming out. Put the rubber cap and hub cap back on, and you're done. The problems usually arise from not rotating the hub while inserting grease, or from putting too much in, as Brian and others have pointed out.