Build Sheet Choices: 17b - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
You are saying you added two switches for the electric water heating, one lighted to show it is on and another to turn it off as with the propane? Or one switch has both?
Here is a link to what I did. Many will roll their eyes, as I have linked to this a couple times now.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...itch-1165.html
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:06 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Here is a link to what I did. Many will roll their eyes, as I have linked to this a couple times now.

Not at all Jim. That's part of the value of the forum. Newcomers wouldn't have seen or known about that mod. (Or the health benefits from eating Poutine )

Which reminds me, I haven't gotten around to doing that mod yet.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:45 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Thanks much Jim.

I am shooting for something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/HOT-SYSTEM-Wat.../dp/B00QQ5RC3Q

Will take apart panel and measure to get right one.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #24

That one is 12V though, Bruce.

I had looked locally for a 120V switch that lit up when on, but they only have them light up when off, to find in the dark. This LED fix was real easy though. Drill a hole, and hook it up with connections you need to make anyway. That, and the plug was there already.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
I was refering to the propane only situation. Thats 12v, yes?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #26

Gotcha. I doubt that switch would fit, the one supplied by the manufacturer is quite slim. You could always use a good blank plate, and mount the switch and a matching light on it. Again, I just went for cheap and easy, plus it does the trick.

Stoopid upside down switch on them though...........
Old 03-19-2015, 06:49 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I think I'd find the hitch wheel useless on a dual axle, loaded trailer (too heavy) and useful on a single axle loaded 17b. It's often easier to rotate a trailer on a camp site, using the hitch wheel than to hook up.
Just FYI -- the hitch wheel came with our 17b. But we never used it. It only works on level pavement, and just more trouble than it is worth.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:02 PM   #28

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I understand the need for a lighted reminder that the propane hot water heater is on but I'm not sure why one would need an on off switch for when the two way hot water heater is using shore power.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Just FYI -- the hitch wheel came with our 17b. But we never used it. It only works on level pavement, and just more trouble than it is worth.
How can the hitch wheel be more trouble than it's worth if it came with your trailer and you never used it?
Old 03-19-2015, 08:23 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
It's an option ( $35? ) and it has weight and bulk.
Found mine. It's under the driver seat in the RAV.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:25 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
It's an option ( $35? ) and it has weight and bulk.
Found mine. It's under the driver seat in the RAV.
Mine came with the trailer. Weight and bulk is forgotten when it's installed.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:36 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Are we talking about the same thing?
My hitch wheel cannot be left on the post, and it's not supposed to be left on the post for travel. You could drill another hole in the post so that it would stay on ( sort of ).
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 6.35.24 PM.png  
Old 03-19-2015, 08:39 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Thank you for that and it has to be one of the most useful items. We are always turning that on and off outside. Probably helps not to burn out the element by being in the habit of turning it off when not using it, or when it might cause tripping.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:15 PM   #34

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I understand the need for a lighted reminder that the propane hot water heater is on but I'm not sure why one would need an on off switch for when the two way hot water heater is using shore power.
If the water heater is drained, it would be bad to have the power on to the electric heating element - that might be a reason to have a lighted reminder.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:22 PM   #35

Quote:
My hitch wheel cannot be left on the post, and it's not supposed to be left on the post for travel. You could drill another hole in the post so that it would stay on ( sort of ).
Yeah, we're talking about the same thing. The hitch wheel weighs all of about 4 pounds and takes up less space than 4 cans of beer. If that's the weight and bulk you're talking about, I can handle it. My trailer came with the hitch wheel. Who said anything about traveling with it? I don't think I'd have a problem traveling with it on though. I don't boondock, but I believe the wheel retracts enough to not be a problem.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:26 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If the water heater is drained, it would be bad to have the power on to the electric heating element - that might be a reason to have a lighted reminder.
I don't have a 2 way hot water heater nor do I empty the hot water tank when I leave a camp site so I would think that just unplugging the trailer would turn off the heater eliminating any burn out problems.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:34 PM   #37

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
There are at least a couple of variations for the design of the end of the leg and attachment of the foot or wheel. Most have a hole for a pin, but some have a sort of bayonet mount (which I think might be what Escape uses, given previous discussions about the jacks on the 5.0). What is the make and model of the jack?

This drawing shows the twist lock design for some Atwood jacks:

(from Removable, 6" Caster for Atwood 2-1/4" Trailer Jacks - Twist-Lock - Plastic - 1,000 lbs at eTrailer)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:01 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
How can the hitch wheel be more trouble than it's worth if it came with your trailer and you never used it?
well, I paid $35.00 for it. First it took up some space in the storage box until I tried to use it one time, and found out that one old guy ain't going to move the front end of the trailer much when the wheel is in some soft ground. Then, to save space I to put it on a shelf in my garage and, every time Lindy sees it she asks what it is, and I have to tell her it is the hitch wheel for the trailer. Then she asks me why it isn't with the trailer if it is the hitch wheel for the trailer. So I explain to her that it isn't very functional. Then she asks me why we bought it if we can't use it, and I have to explain that I didn't know very much when we first bought the trailer -- I still don't know very much, but maybe slightly more than I did in 2012. Then she asks if we can throw it away, and I explain maybe we will find someone who needs a hitch wheel someday, and we should save it for them. I have tried hiding the wheel so Lindy won't find it and ask these embarrasing questions , but I am afraid that if I hide it I won't remember where it is when someone comes along and needs a hitch wheel. So I am thinking that I should hide it, and then write a letter to myself reminding me where I hid it. I could mail the letter, and then when it arrives I could put it in a new envelope and mail it to myself again. but I am concerned about the cost of stamps and envelopes. At the current price of stamps, I think it would take less than two months before I had spent as much in stamps as it would cost me to buy a new hitch wheel to replace the one that I had lost so that I could give it to who ever needed a new hitch wheel. Besides, Lindy reads my mail, and if she read the letter, she would go look at the hitch wheel, and awkward questions would start all over again.

Really, this has been preying on my mind for almost three years. It keeps me awake at night. When I am awake at night, I start to think about poutine, and whether or not there is any good poutine to be found in St. Paul, and why the poutine at The French Hen is not real poutine. After that I worry about whether or not our Highlander is the right tow vehicle, and how we are going to make it up and down the mountains on the way to the rally, especially given all the extra weight from the hitch wheel which may be carried in the storage compartment unless I decide that it will adversely affect the balance of the trailer and should be kept in a rear storage compartment to lighten the tongue weight.

I hope that helps you understand how it can be more trouble than it is worth, and why I am really hoping that someone will want the hitch wheel, and take it off my hands (or out of my garage). If no one steps up, I may have to resort to drastic measures.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:09 PM   #39

Trade it for a six pack of beer and be done with it then.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:19 PM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Finding good Poutine and and a hitch wheel in a garage.. seems like the same things to me and I like curds
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
17b option choices