Build Sheet Choices: 17b - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Build Sheet Choices: 17b

We're in the process of finalizing our option choices for our 17B. I've read most of the threads on Option Choices and have learned a lot from them. I'm interested in opinions on the following questions:
1. Stove Cover: we don't think we need this for the additional counter space, but is it a good idea to have to provide protection for the vinyl on the wall behind the stove? We will be doing a considerable amount of cooking inside the trailer. Are there any significant disadvantages to having the cover?

2. Hitch Wheel: It would appear that the BAL Tongue Twister ($49.95 from Amazon) could be a better option than the Hitch Wheel ($35.00). Has anyone used the Tongue Twister? I realize that due to the weight of the trailer, moving it by pushing is very limited even with the Hitch Wheel.

3. Water Heater Indicator Light: is this a good idea?

4. Standard Cushions (vinyl backed) v. all fabric: aside from being able to reverse the cushions, are there any other considerations here?

5. Winterizing T-Valve: Is this worthwhile?

6. Captain's Light(s) Placement: we're thinking of getting two of these for night-time reading in bed. Obviously, we need to decide where to have installed. According to Crystal at ETI, most people are sleeping with their heads toward the passenger side. Any significant advantage to sleeping the other direction?

Thanks for your help with these questions and if there are any other things that you feel strongly about, I'd welcome hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Good luck and have fun. Most all of these options are personal choices that depend on your own needs/wants. That said - here is my $0.02 worth.

1. Stove Cover: We like our stove cover both as extra space and reflecting heat away from the wall behind the stove. The kitchen is small in the 17B and any extra space is useful for us

2. Hitch Wheel: I just bought a plan flat foot model.

3. Water Heater Indicator Light: They were not an option when we got ours, but I would buy one now if it is not overly costly

4. Standard Cushions (vinyl backed) v. all fabric: Our vinyl Cushion backs tend to get moist in cold weather camping if they are left against the wall. Fabric MIGHT let it breath more back there?

5. Winterizing T-Valve: Again - it was not an option for us, but I would buy one now.

6. Captain's Light(s) Placement: We sleep with our heads on the driver's side, only because Mary get up more often at night then I do, and she doesn't like having to crawl over me. We could switch sides but after decades this way, we opted for the norm. I bought some LED captain style lights that I need to get installed. The regular ones are not great for reading.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:21 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Normally, if you have a back up camera you can position the trailer ball close enough to the receiver that it will slip on. moving the trailer more than 1" in any direction is hard to do because of the tongue weight. The water heater indicator light is good, it prevents you from leaving the heater on while towing, both a safety measure and save propane. If you remember to turn off all the propane and the furnace and the water heater you can accomplish the same.
The vinyl back cushions help if you ever have children sitting or are wearing wet clothes.
The E-Z Winterizing allows one to single handedly winterize the trailer in lieu of having a 2 person job. It also allows you to winterize just the water lines in lieu of putting the antifreeze in your tank for the pump to circulate. This will use a lot of antifreeze and also means flushing the tank out in springtime. Captain light placement- personal choice.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:41 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17B, April 2014
We added an indicator light to the hot water heater almost right away, so would definitely go for that option.

We sleep with our heads on the driver's side. It is the "correct" way for us... turning the other way is not an option if we actually want to fall asleep.
KLRchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:59 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I like the Winterizing T for us northerners, was standard in our last trailer. Do you need such in Utah?

We use the stove cover for counter space and wall protection.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17B (2014)
I sent a personal email.

-Dave
Old 03-19-2015, 10:22 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Penny Smith View Post
We're in the process of finalizing our option choices for our 17B. I've read most of the threads on Option Choices and have learned a lot from them. I'm interested in opinions on the following questions:
1. Stove Cover: we don't think we need this for the additional counter space, but is it a good idea to have to provide protection for the vinyl on the wall behind the stove? We will be doing a considerable amount of cooking inside the trailer. Are there any significant disadvantages to having the cover?
While you may not feel you need the counter space, you may find yourself putting things down on the stove anyway - the cover keeps stuff from falling in. Also, as you noted, protects the back vinyl when cooking.

Quote:
2. Hitch Wheel: It would appear that the BAL Tongue Twister ($49.95 from Amazon) could be a better option than the Hitch Wheel ($35.00). Has anyone used the Tongue Twister? I realize that due to the weight of the trailer, moving it by pushing is very limited even with the Hitch Wheel.
I found the tongue weight of the 17B too much for the wheel to be useful except on concrete or other hard pavement. I went with the flat foot.

Quote:
Good enough that I added one since the "on" light was not available when I bought mine.

Quote:
4. Standard Cushions (vinyl backed) v. all fabric: aside from being able to reverse the cushions, are there any other considerations here?
Haven't had both - I have found the vinyl backed cushions slide away from the walls, particularly the front ones. Complete fabric might "stick" better, but wear faster.

Quote:
Depends on how you plan to winterize. If you are going to use antifreeze, it saves disconnecting & connecting the pump each winter. I use air (antifreeze in the drains), so it would not be useful for me.

Quote:
6. Captain's Light(s) Placement: we're thinking of getting two of these for night-time reading in bed. Obviously, we need to decide where to have installed. According to Crystal at ETI, most people are sleeping with their heads toward the passenger side. Any significant advantage to sleeping the other direction?
That is the way I sleep so I can easily reach the thermostat. Some individuals prefer the other direction so they can see the door around the refrigerator.

No Captain's lights - they were not available then, but I did change the light over the head of the bed to a double lamp fixture, and added a double fixture to the ceiling just in front of the bed.

Quote:
Thanks for your help with these questions and if there are any other things that you feel strongly about, I'd welcome hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-19-2015, 10:28 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
We sleep with heads on the passenger side, the "right" way for us. An advantage is that my feet go under the counter extension next to the sink so we can leave it raised.
Hitch wheel: trying to remember what I did with it.
I'd like to have the water heater light. We often forget to turn it off after heating water.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:32 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 17B "Tody"
Quote:
There is some space between the stove and the wall (assuming you are talking about the 2-burnner stove and *not* turning the stove 90 degree) which will be blocked by the cover when you use the stove. So the cover will change how you can use that little space. E.g. a permanent spice rack will not be accessible with the cover up.

If I were to get the stock stove I would forgo the cover. I would rather purchase a separate cover that can be removed completely to give me options on how the space are used. But to quote Donna, YMMV.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I didn't get the metal cover. You can't use it as a chopping block

I bought a nice wood cover (on stubby legs) at Camping World. I can either use it on the stove to "add" that space to the "counter," or use it as a chopping block between the stove and sink, or flip it up and protect the vinyl on either side.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:35 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
I have a hitch wheel that I would be happy to tote to the rally and give to anyone who wants it.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:52 AM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I think I'd find the hitch wheel useless on a dual axle, loaded trailer (too heavy) and useful on a single axle loaded 17b. It's often easier to rotate a trailer on a camp site, using the hitch wheel than to hook up.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
When I had a 17B I used the hitch wheel very, very sparingly. They work best going in the direction the wheel is oriented; making turns with the wheel just puts a lot of strain on the tongue jack pole and will eventually bend something. In fact, to make a radical turn I found it best to jack the tongue up and block it, raise and then turn the wheel in the direction I wanted, and then lower back onto the wheel in the new direction. On the 19, as J Mac noted, the wheel is almost useless.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Dave and Penney,
The water heater light is definitely a good thing to have, however, I am assuming that it tells you if the propane is on but will not tell you if electric is on (someone can chime in if that is not correct.) You don't say if you are getting the dual electric and propane water heater. If you plan to be at campgrounds and not only boondock, then you would want the dual to use electric. If using electric, you will have to go outside to turn it off, unlike the propane. People often forget to turn off the water heater so at least for the propane, the light is very useful.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Does anyone have a link to the "mod" of adding a lighted HW switch? Hoping its a drop in replacement, given proper part number.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:13 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:

Thanks,
Dave
My wife and I love the tongue twister. This just helps prevent arguments when hooking up. You get close and it's close enough. Also the Anderson levelors for the same reason.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:56 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
....however, I am assuming that it tells you if the propane is on but will not tell you if electric is on...
That is correct the lighted switch doesn't have anything to do with the electric on dual hot water tanks. Except to tell you if the propane is either on or off.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:12 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
You can easily add a switch and light inside for the electric element on the water heater. Or, anyone with basic electrical knowledge could do it for you. At least it is easy in the 19, but as it is wire, and can be routed anywhere, should be able to be done in any other model fairly easily too. We love it. It is very convenient, no going out to the water heater to flip that tiny switch, and I good reminder it is on as well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:26 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
You can easily add a switch and light inside for the electric element on the water heater. Or, anyone with basic electrical knowledge could do it for you. At least it is easy in the 19, but as it is wire, and can be routed anywhere, should be able to be done in any other model fairly easily too. We love it. It is very convenient, no going out to the water heater to flip that tiny switch, and I good reminder it is on as well.
You are saying you added two switches for the electric water heating, one lighted to show it is on and another to turn it off as with the propane? Or one switch has both?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:26 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Thanks to everyone for the replies and information! Our camping (trailering) is almost exclusively without hook-ups, so the water heater indicator light will tell us what we need to know. Thanks to Kevin & Barbara for the information on the tongue twister--our Tab is light enough that we can easily move it by hand for any fine tuning of position when hitching up. It sounds like the tongue twister would enable us to do a similar thing with the heavier 17.
Thanks!
Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
17b option choices