Build sheet - completed (I think!) - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2015, 03:09 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I would have to agree with everyone else. Get the dual six volt batteries. It is so much cheaper to do things on the initial build than to change things later. Yes, we did get the U-shaped dinette. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:13 PM   #42

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Thanks for all the comments on the batteries. Will discuss with Dirk when he gets home *next year* (seems strange to say that).

Also, just found out it'll cost $200 for ETI to install a hitch that we provide. Not the $75 that someone else thought. So, um, yeah, might go with one of the ones they offer. Still need to do lots of research in that area.

Today was spent deciding on and ordering custom graphics that were 30% off at VinylDisorder.com - whew!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:24 PM   #43

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
$200? sounds like they don't want the job.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:04 PM   #44

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Also, just found out it'll cost $200 for ETI to install a hitch that we provide. Not the $75 that someone else thought. So, um, yeah, might go with one of the ones they offer. Still need to do lots of research in that area.
Or go without it, then when - and if - you decide you want one get it anywhere you want. There's nothing exotic about the installation.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:04 PM   #45

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Hitch or hitch receiver install?
Makes a difference.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:11 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I would have to agree with everyone else. Get the dual six volt batteries. It is so much cheaper to do things on the initial build than to change things later.
Not everyone. Laura's current build list includes an upgrade to the larger (but still single) Group 29 battery, which I understand provides the larger battery box that dual 6V GC2-size batteries would require... so nearly all the preparation would be done on the initial build, even with this single battery.

If the trailer is initially equipped with the single battery and that one is tossed to make room for dual batteries initially, it wouldn't have turned out to be the greatest choice, but still wouldn't be bad.

If the single battery is suitable for a few years and is then replaced by dual batteries when solar panels are added and camping changes from serviced sites to boondocking, then the single Group 29 choice would be ideally matched to requirements.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:23 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Hitch or hitch receiver install?
Makes a difference.
I agree. I'm assuming - based on this discussion and Need some hitch info/help - that Laura means the weight-distributing hitch system (WDH), not the receiver on the tow vehicle.
Quote:
We plan to purchase a 2015 or 2016 (most likely) Toyota Tundra TRD Crewmax with the towing package
I believe that this truck would come from the factory with a very suitable receiver.

Escape Trailer Industries does sell WDHs, but not receivers.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:28 PM   #48

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Well, I'm thinking of bringing my own fibreglass if I get another trailer.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:52 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Well, I'm thinking of bringing my own fibreglass if I get another trailer.
I agree, if I understand the intent...

I wouldn't expect the manufacturer of a trailer to install my WD hitch system on it, and if they're willing to do it then I would expect them to charge enough to make it worth their while.

I'm sure just about any WDH can be purchased in the Chilliwack area, from a dealer who would install it on the Escape after pickup, if something other than Escape's offerings is desired.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:29 PM   #50

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree. I'm assuming - based on this discussion and Need some hitch info/help - that Laura means the weight-distributing hitch system (WDH), not the receiver on the tow vehicle.

I believe that this truck would come from the factory with a very suitable receiver.
Ding, ding, ding! Correct on both counts.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:35 PM   #51

Quote:
(snip) If the single battery is suitable for a few years and is then replaced by dual batteries when solar panels are added and camping changes from serviced sites to boondocking, then the single Group 29 choice would be ideally matched to requirements.
Thanks Brian.

Hey, tried to send you a PM to this effect, with more details, but it says your box is full and not accepting any more msgs! Empty it out!
Old 12-24-2015, 04:42 PM   #52

Quote:
aluminum rims, 4
Not five, so you will not be rotating the spare in with the rest of the tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Also just did 4 fancy wheels , no point covering up a fancy wheel which may never use . If I got a flat I would fix it asp anyway .
That's valid, but it means that if you discard tires based on age - which is now a popular approach - you will be either throwing away an unused spare tire when you replace the ones that have been on the road, or you accept an old spare.

This has been discussed in detail before, so there's no need to rehash it, as long as you understand the implications of mismatched spare wheel, you're good to go with four alloys.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:00 PM   #53

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

That's valid, but it means that if you discard tires based on age - which is now a popular approach - you will be either throwing away an unused spare tire when you replace the ones that have been on the road, or you accept an old spare.

This has been discussed in detail before, so there's no need to rehash it, as long as you understand the implications of mismatched spare wheel, you're good to go with four alloys.
I know Brian . Probably will not rotate tires . Find because lifespan on all tires are so short just replace the 4,and if spare still looks pretty good not replace that one. I use to run tires in old days almost bald . Now if you get 5-7 years that is great , going by years and not tread . The spare is covered , no weight , never run on the ground ,so I will chance at least one new set and not change it. Already had a flat on these tires . Was home and got it fixed right away . Didn't use spare and rarely do on anything I have . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:48 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Ordered four aluminum rims and should have bought the fifth. Had I known I would be replacing tires after one year due to heavy travel I would have just stuck with the stock wheels then bought new ones here. The rims ETI uses couldn't be found by at least one tire store.

Also- the weights are on the outside of the ETI aluminum rims. The tire dealer asked if I wanted them outside or inside(they were going to be replaced anyway). You can still see where they were previously mounted on the outside.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:56 PM   #55

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Ross - if you can wait until the end of June, we can bring a rim back for you. :-) Jane
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:57 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Ordered four aluminum rims and should have bought the fifth. Had I known I would be replacing tires after one year due to heavy travel I would have just stuck with the stock wheels then bought new ones here. The rims ETI uses couldn't be found by at least one tire store.

Also- the weights are on the outside of the ETI aluminum rims. The tire dealer asked if I wanted them outside or inside(they were going to be replaced anyway). You can still see where they were previously mounted on the outside.
Guy Rossue how many miles did you get ? What kind did you replace with ? I know they rebalanced the tire and put the weight on the inside without asking me after tire fix . Haven't tired to clean off yet . Pat
Old 12-24-2015, 06:48 PM   #57

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneM. View Post
Ross - if you can wait until the end of June, we can bring a rim back for you. :-) Jane
Thanks Jane for the ETI Express offer Plans for now are to go up sometime this Spring for some TLC & upgrades

Quote:
Guy Rossue how many miles did you get ? What kind did you replace with ? I know they rebalanced the tire and put the weight on the inside without asking me after tire fix . Haven't tired to clean off yet . Pat
The OEM Carlisle 4-plys had around 22K, and could have gone awhile longer, but like car tires I don't believe in fully depreciating them. For the same price as Carlisle D range I bought 6-ply Maxxis ST C Range.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #58

Quote:
Hee - forgot about the spare. Thanks for this.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:11 PM   #59

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
A asked Reace about rotating the tires, was told NOT to move them from side to side, just front to back and vice versa. Kind of defeats the need to include the spare in the rotation, but to each his own.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:49 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Thanks Jane for the ETI Express offer Plans for now are to go up sometime this Spring for some TLC & upgrades

The OEM Carlisle 4-plys had around 22K, and could have gone awhile longer, but like car tires I don't believe in fully depreciating them. For the same price as Carlisle D range I bought 6-ply Maxxis ST C Range.
I have been looking at the Maxxis st too . How do you like them so far ?I was also looking at Michelin's truck tires but I am thinking of sticking with the st's . Pat