Build sheet finalized for "The Trailer" - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2016, 11:16 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hi Karen- to save $ we only ordered 4 rims, but after ruining a tire with the locking brake it was obvious that having the 5th rim was better as I had to pay to change out the spare from the steel rim. Additionally I found after buying tires that the weights should have been on the back like on your tug, however the factory rims have the weights on the front and when you remove them to re-balance a different tire there is a mar on the rim that won't rub out.

While ETI rims are nice enough- and they are priced very well for U.S. buyers, my experience says I should have waited and bought one of many different styles here when I bought new tires.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:22 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you want the aluminum to be nice and shiny, you have to scrub the wheels. I pretty much just hose off my white steel wheels.
Just say'n they aren't maintenance-free. No magic.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:32 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
...that the weights should have been on the back like on your tug, however the factory rims have the weights on the front...
Okay, I had to go out and look (my trailer is at home as I'm heading out camping tomorrow ). The weights are on the outside on both the trailer and my truck. While the weights on my car tires are not exactly on the outside, they are visible as they are a little bit inside the outer shell.

As usual, confusion reigns here in my household.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:38 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Ok, I didn't ever think about it either until the guy at Discount Tire asked me if I wanted the new tires balanced with the weight on the inside. Our Yukon doesn't have weights on the outside as they are fancy wheels so.....

It's not a big deal of course, however looking back I would have not ordered factory aluminum rims and gotten something here- little bit different looking- and weights mounted inside. YMMV as someone here has said
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:50 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Good, it seems it's a matter of preference, not something right or wrong...one less thing for me to stew about. By the way, I went for the aluminum rims because they are almost an exact match to the ones on my truck. And I don't do anything to them but wash them off either so no big deal in terms of maintenance. But, again, they're only two years old.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:41 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Ok, I didn't ever think about it either until the guy at Discount Tire asked me if I wanted the new tires balanced with the weight on the inside. Our Yukon doesn't have weights on the outside as they are fancy wheels so.....

It's not a big deal of course, however looking back I would have not ordered factory aluminum rims and gotten something here- little bit different looking- and weights mounted inside. YMMV as someone here has said
Rossue when I had the flat fixed I was told that the weights should be on the back on fancy wheels .So I was told the same . So I have one wheel with weights in back . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:45 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Good, it seems it's a matter of preference, not something right or wrong...one less thing for me to stew about. By the way, I went for the aluminum rims because they are almost an exact match to the ones on my truck. And I don't do anything to them but wash them off either so no big deal in terms of maintenance. But, again, they're only two years old.
Same here Karen they match the truck wheels and do look good . Ours are still shiny and they just get washed and dried when we do trailer just like the truck . Chrome wheels are another matter with lots of maintence but the aluminum wheels don't seem to be a problem . Oh and the ones on the truck are about 13 years old and still look good . So still don't get any special treatment then what we are doing . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:26 AM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
For the most part alloy wheels are fairly maintenance free. Just clean and wax like you do the rest of the rig. The big issue is they will pit... similar to aluminum. When you've travels roads that you know have been salted or other chemicals applied to the road you need to spend time cleaning the wheels. This winter I see lots of snow in lots of places. Anytime you're on those roads and it's wet, chemicals will splash up on the wheels and other parts of your trailer... and that can be for a long time after the last application to the road. On FiberglassRV and Facebook, I see a number of Scamp owners picking up in Backus and immediately heading south. It's been suggested when they get to their destination they wash the bottom of the trailer (frame) and the wheels to wash off those chemicals and help to prevent rust.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Build sheet finalized for "The Trailer"

Because we travel gravel roads a lot, our experience with painted steel wheels was that the paint chipped off terribly and I would spend a ton of time removing rust. The alloy wheels aren't really difficult to clean and appear to weather the rocks better. This is the same for our truck. It's alloy wheels look great after 10 years and many miles on gravel roads.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
I was wondering why you deleted the bathroom sink.
mcdonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:28 PM   #31

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
I was wondering why you deleted the bathroom sink.
Yep, now you know (if you read my earlier post on why, that is). Figured I'd take the extra space over something that would hardly, if ever, be used. I'm also getting ETI to install a single lever faucet in there. I have tendinitis problems with my hands and using twist faucets and door knobs has been a real killer in the past. So, everything in the house now has a lever handle that I can operate with my wrist, if need be.

Here's what we'll have installed:

Robot Check
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote