Buying a new Escape 19 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I think you should find a different Ford dealer or question everything these guys tell you. In looking at the Sports Trac 2010 Towing Guide published online by Ford it states. A 4x4 V-6 with the Class III/IV towing package will handle a trailer up to 5,080 lbs and has a CGVW of 10,000 lbs. The same number I cited earlier for your vehicle. If you have Trailer Tow Package – Option Code 53G you are good to go.

The Ford website is the best place to look, stealers are known for their lack of product knowledge and probably the worst source. Call national customer service is much better for technical specifications.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
[QUOTE...(d)--ealers are known for their lack of product knowledge and probably the worst source. Call national customer service is much better for technical specifications.[/QUOTE]

I'll ditto that.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #23

Trailer: None
MY Ford Sport Trac

Here is all the detail I have on my Tug.

I have a 2010 Ford Sport Tack XLT 4X4 with a 210 HP and 4OL SOHC V6 engine.
with a factory installed tow package 7 wire harness and 4/7 pin connector. Transmission Oil-to-Air Cooler, Electric Brake Controller Tap-in-Capability and Trailer sway control.
The receiver is a Class III/IV with 5000 lb Max. weight carrying capacity and a Max. tongue load of 500 lbs. The GCWR ratting is 10000 lbs.

Based on the information it looks like I should be able to tow a 19 if it weighs in at say 4000 lb with all accessories. What do you think?

Ron
canoeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoeak View Post
Here is all the detail I have on my Tug.

I have a 2010 Ford Sport Tack XLT 4X4 with a 210 HP and 4OL SOHC V6 engine.
with a factory installed tow package 7 wire harness and 4/7 pin connector. Transmission Oil-to-Air Cooler, Electric Brake Controller Tap-in-Capability and Trailer sway control.
The receiver is a Class III/IV with 5000 lb Max. weight carrying capacity and a Max. tongue load of 500 lbs. The GCWR ratting is 10000 lbs.

Based on the information it looks like I should be able to tow a 19 if it weighs in at say 4000 lb with all accessories. What do you think?

Ron
Looks like your truck would likely be ok for towing a 19'. You will find that the tandem 19' tracks really well. My own experience is that my tow vehicle with 5000 lb tow capacity works quite well with the 19'. I do use a WDH and it seems to work well for my truck/trailer combination. So far I have had no need for sway control.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Those specs are about what my FJ Cruiser are, I'd recommend the Andersen W/D set up to keep everything level, particularly if your tongue weight is high.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Watch out for Alaska DMV!!!!!! Every state is different when it comes to trailer registration and licensing. AK DMV will not let you obtain plates for your new Escape trailer (not even temporary plates) ahead of time. You must first cross the border with your new trailer at which time US Customs will inspect and provide you with paperwork showing compliance with USDOT safety standards, etc. DMV will not issue you plates and registration until this paperwork is presented to them. The Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin alone and sales receipt alone will not cut it with DMV because you are buying a trailer that was built in Canada. Once you cross the border, you will be traveling illegally without plates. Plan on overnighting this paperwork to a friend and have them go to AK DMV for you....make sure that all t's are crossed and i's dotted or there will be further delays. Forget about registering the trailer in WA state as it will cost you thousands in sales tax. Also, when you pay Escape for your trailer, watch out for a hose job on the exchange rate. I would suggest XE.com for the exchange. If Wells Fargo is the intermediary bank on the exchange, (i.e. NBA uses them for wire transfers to Canada) you will lose maybe $500US on a $20k transaction (over and above what it would cost you to do the exchange thru XE). Don't take anyone's word for this including mine. Do the research yourself.......way ahead of time so that there are no surprises. I am confident that you will be happy with your new trailer despite having to deal with these issues.
dotllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #27

P.S. If you use XE for the currency exchange, you must jump through a bunch of hoops for them ....so that they know you are legitimate. Get started on this several months before you have to pay Escape the big bucks so that your account with XE will be all set up.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
What about using a credit card without foreign transaction fees?
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #29

Credit Card

It has been my experience that most businesses (Escape included) will not accept large payments by credit card because it costs them too much in fees.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #30

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotllama View Post
It has been my experience that most businesses (Escape included) will not accept large payments by credit card because it costs them too much in fees.
FYI, I bought my 19' Escape with a Cashier's Check in US Dollars that Tammy changed into Canadian Dollars and deposited into their account with very little fees. I figured we would capitalize on the great relationship they have with their bank.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:39 AM   #31

Currency exchange

Even if Tammy does have a great relationship with her bank (and her bank charges a reasonable fee) there are typically other banks involved in the foreign exchange that will charge additional fees. The bank the US buyer sends the money from charges a fee. Then there is the US intermediary bank that charges a fee. Tammy's Canadian bank will have no control over the fees that these other US banks charge. US buyers may be paying way more in fees than they have to without realizing it. My advice to any US Escape buyer is do your own research on currency exchange. Don't take anyone's word for it that you "are getting a good deal" on the exchange. Do you trust US banks to give you a fair deal? Most US bank employees know very little about currency exchange because they don't deal with it often. It can get real interesting if you try and have an intelligent conversation with them about sending money to Canada.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:08 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Not sure if this is still the case but we purchased our Escape 19' in July 2013 using a Capitol One credit card for the entire amount. No transaction fees, exchange rate in our favor, plus 1.5% cash back.
2012 Nissan Frontier
jlgrillot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:12 AM   #33

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
If Escape doesn't mind, I like the idea of using a CC for purchase. That really simplifies the transaction...
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #34

The topic of how US customers can pay for there Escape trailer has been previously discussed in detail on this forum. You may want to read this thread and do a search for others: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...nada-1329.html

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 08-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Our bank did a wire transfer to the Escape bank for a fee of $45. I believe the receiving bank might also charge a fee, mine charges $15 so Escape also had some costs. This was a direct wire, the only intermediary would be the Federal Reserve, unless Escape is somehow using two banks.

Now, there are two kinds of international wire transfers. One sends in US dollars and the exchange rate is determined by the receiving bank. The second, called International FX, does the exchange rate at the sending institution side. There are advantages to both depending on where you are sending.

In all cases, you need to check our the exchange rates ahead of time, just as dotllama recommends. I am not sure I would be able to find that out, short of a phone call to them and compare that to todays rate. Remember, you will never get the quoted exchange rate as found on the internet. Unless you are dealing with millions of dollars.

Edit: Thank you Dave, I posted a bit later and do recall that discussion.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #36

Has anybody just brought a roll of cash with them and paid for their Escape that way? I have heard that it is still legal to buy things with cash.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The problem with that is crossing the border with more than $10k causes issues. I just send a check.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #38

Trailer: 2012 17B
Credit cards no longer accepted for total, I asked when I was there Wednesday. Drat, no airline miles but I don't blame them. It cost$ on their end! Direct wire transfer the easiest IMO if you deal with a big bank.
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #39

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Pity, but understandable. however, depending on the credit card fees, it still might be worth it. If the customer pays the fees Escape is charged (again depending on what they are) and has a 1.5% cash back credit card with no foreign transaction fees, it might be cost effective. One would have to check the numbers.
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #40

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Those specs are about what my FJ Cruiser are, I'd recommend the Andersen W/D set up to keep everything level, particularly if your tongue weight is high.
Powertrain and weight specs are similar, but a Sport Trac has much longer wheelbase than an FJ Cruiser (3315 mm / 130.5" versus 2690 mm / 105.9"). Unless the overhang of the Sport Trac is so long it completely negates the wheelbase advantage, the Sport Trac will have less need for a weight distribution system to counteract load transfer from front to rear axle (and less needed for a sway control system).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote