Cabinet removed in 2017 style 21' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2016, 01:23 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Cabinet removed in 2017 style 21'

Just got an email from Krista that they removed the small cabinet to the right of the frig in the new 2017 style 21 footers. They felt it was too high, too small and too hard to use, so they removed it.

Note in the photos that the door under the frig opens sideways instead of flipping down. I don't know if the owner asked for this or if this is standard. I've emailed to find out about that, as well as if any of the cabinets changed in size. I'll post what I find out.

So, anyone need a set of hinges for that small cabinet that will enable the door to stay open? I already purchased them, but it looks like I won't need them now. Heck if I remember what I paid for 'em (not much).
Attached Thumbnails
21' cabinets new.jpg   21' cabinets old.JPG  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I wonder if the replacement space goes as high as the old style? I kept a lot of stuff up there. As far as the bottom doors, they always swung open, did not flip down.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
From the picture, it looks like the microwave has been moved up as well as the clothes cabinet. Does that mean that the extra space is now at the bottom of the clothes cabinet?
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:59 PM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
From Krista:

"The cabinet door does open sideways now, instead of down.
The wardrobe did get a bit bigger. "

Remember in photos I posted earlier about the new 21, the door did open downward and there was a bit of a discussion about that. Guess they went back to the other way, of opening sideways.

Here's a reminder photo of that cabinet:
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04495.jpg  
Old 08-25-2016, 05:09 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I wonder if the replacement space goes as high as the old style? I kept a lot of stuff up there.
I really liked that little high storage spot; it's quite deep and all our board games fit really well - plus space for small baskets holding smaller stuff like packs of cards and smaller entertainment items.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:38 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
It's where I store rolls of aluminum foil and boxes of zip-loc bags; plus we have a rather large, aluminum bread bowl (that we use for a wash basin) that fits perfectly. (We never had a good place to stash it in our Casita.)

Having the extra space in the wardrobe closet would also be nice, as ours is just barely tall enough for the shirts we hang in it. Not sure I'd like it if it meant the mickeywave is mounted even higher up, but every trailer design is a set of compromises, no?
Old 08-26-2016, 09:16 AM   #7

I'm pretty bummed about losing that cabinet, the more I think about it. I don't know what I would have stashed up there (since I've never stashed stuff in travel trailers before), but I know something would have gone in there that will now go elsewhere.

I find it rather odd that they're taking it away. It seems like RV makers (from articles I read) are trying to figure out ways to get MORE storage in trailers, not LESS.

Okay, maybe it's a problem for the height challenged (), but I'm not one of them. I also think the cabinets now look rather "odd" since there's a different size gap between the remaining cabinets. Before they were much more closely and evenly spaced. If I had a microwave in that one cabinet, it'll be a bit trickier to use since it's a bit higher. Which could be a problem for the height challenged.

I think it's more they just don't want to spend the time putting that high cabinet in and they figure this will save them some money. Less money for not using the cabinet door and less money/time for putting the cabinet in there.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:25 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Laura, you'll have tons of storage. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2016, 09:29 AM   #9

You really are not losing storage, you have the same amount except now it is only accessible via one entry vs two. Perhaps Escape read the posts about the cabinet lid not staying open? Who knows but either way the space is still there.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:34 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
That's right. It's looking still like the same storage space as before. Just one door less to open. Now one of our resident engineers might design a mini-shelf elevator for that spot.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:35 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
I really like the small storage cabinet as the Endless Breeze 12v fan fits very nicely in that space.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #12

Quote:
You really are not losing storage, you have the same amount except now it is only accessible via one entry vs two. Perhaps Escape read the posts about the cabinet lid not staying open? Who knows but either way the space is still there.
Okay, this comment does not make sense to me. There's now this solid area where the cabinet used to be. How can I not be losing storage space? Krista said the wardrobe is a bit bigger, but it doesn't look that much bigger to me, as in making up for the space that was taken away. The microwave cabinet looks to be the same size as before. It's just been moved up.

When I was last up there Reace and I were inside the 21 at the same time and I flipped that door up and mentioned how I had purchased some hinges (via a post on this forum) that will keep that door open on its own. I mentioned it in the hopes of him saying "oh, that's a great idea, we should do that" sort of situation.

Yeah, I know there's more important things in life and all that. But I can still be bummed if I want to, can't I? I've got some new rubber stamps coming today - maybe I'll take some frustration out by pounding them on paper and soothing my mind by coloring the images in. Yeah, that works for me! They look to be really fun to use.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Might be able to talk ETI into giving you the "old" style, if you moan enough.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Might be able to talk ETI into giving you the "old" style, if you moan enough.
HA! Already asked 'em. Will await their reply.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:49 AM   #15

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
HA! Already asked 'em. Will await their reply.
My bet is they gonna say yes. Very flexibele people! They even made 4 drawers, wider overhead cabinet doors and a round table for our 19.
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:53 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Maybe it also improves the ventilation for the mickeywave? (It doesn't look like that cabinet is much/any higher, so would now have more head room.)

I agree (and had noticed) the spacing of the doors in the new stack is uneven and doesn't look very elegant. Perhaps that will evolve to a more even spacing as ETI works with customers on this - much as they did when they had to move the furnace location.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
My bet is they gonna say yes. Very flexibele people! They even made 4 drawers, wider overhead cabinet doors and a round table for our 19.
I know and that table is stunning! I've been wondering if it would be doable for us. You'll have to let everyone know how it is when you start to use it and if it works as well as it looks like it would while using the u-shaped dinette as a lounge (which is what we're gonna do).

Did you ever post how much it cost ya?

I don't remember the 4 drawers though. Please remind me with a link to the thread that shows it. Too many threads for me to remember where you posted the photos. thanks
Old 08-26-2016, 10:35 AM   #18

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
If you're sweating lost storage space, here's a good Plan B:
Attached Thumbnails
Studio_20160811_191234.jpg  
Old 08-26-2016, 11:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Okay, this comment does not make sense to me. There's now this solid area where the cabinet used to be. How can I not be losing storage space? Krista said the wardrobe is a bit bigger, but it doesn't look that much bigger to me, as in making up for the space that was taken away. The microwave cabinet looks to be the same size as before. It's just been moved up.

When I was last up there Reace and I were inside the 21 at the same time and I flipped that door up and mentioned how I had purchased some hinges (via a post on this forum) that will keep that door open on its own. I mentioned it in the hopes of him saying "oh, that's a great idea, we should do that" sort of situation.

Yeah, I know there's more important things in life and all that. But I can still be bummed if I want to, can't I? I've got some new rubber stamps coming today - maybe I'll take some frustration out by pounding them on paper and soothing my mind by coloring the images in. Yeah, that works for me! They look to be really fun to use.
Let me rephrase, if you have a 10x12 room and 2 doors entering the room and you close off one of the doors, the room is still 10x12. The space is still there in the trailer but only accessible by one door.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:08 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Let me rephrase, if you have a 10x12 room and 2 doors entering the room and you close off one of the doors, the room is still 10x12. The space is still there in the trailer but only accessible by one door.
I was shown this exact area of the 2017 21' at ETI recently and the above is a correct assessment of the change.

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote