Calmark cover for a 21 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2016, 05:02 PM   #21

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Old 06-30-2016, 05:16 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
I do something very similar with broomsticks, no grommets, and my non-Calmark cover. Works very easily and two of us can install the whole cover in less time than it takes to drink a beer.
Does that mean you need a third person for the job, to drink the beer as timekeeper?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:39 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
I do something very similar with broomsticks, no grommets, and my non-Calmark cover. Works very easily and two of us can install the whole cover in less time than it takes to drink a beer.
Is this a challenge? If so, I accept.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:32 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Great minds work alike! I bought a grommet kit at Harbor Freight for $3 but haven't found anything worth grommeting (is that a word?). Think the cover will be my first attempt.

You guys have Harbor Freight in the great white north?
Old 06-30-2016, 08:30 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
We have Princess Auto which may not be particularily similar.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:42 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
You guys have Harbor Freight in the great white north?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
We have Princess Auto which may not be particularily similar.
Princess Auto was my first thought, too. Based only on comments in online forums (since we don't have the stores here), my impression is that Princess Auto may be more closely comparable to Northern Tool (well run and has good stuff as well as cheap) than Harbor Freight (cheap junk clearance house)... but we don't have either Northern Tool or Harbor Freight here. "Northern" is a relative term - they're from down south in Minnesota.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:29 PM   #27

Cheap junk? Can't agree, its great quality for the average Joe level of work or light commercial work needs. I use alot of their tools on my plane, home projects and have several nicad and lithium power tools. Use 'em hard, discard when they wear out or break and replace and I'm still half of a name "quality" brand.

Harbor Freight is amazing. Cheap doesn't describe it, beyond cheap plus free "stuff" just for buying something. Last week was 5 screwdrivers, a flashlight, or a tarp plus 20% off coupons. 25% on Independence Day. I bought a 4" cold chisel and a 5 pound hammer for $9 total last week and got a magnetic flashlight that attaches to our trailer stove hood! Sounds bad but its cheaper to throw it away and go buy something that replace the batteries!

You can sign up on their website for ads and coupons.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:57 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Sounds bad but its cheaper to throw it away and go buy something that replace the batteries!
Maybe I'm just getting old, but this throw-away economy is really getting under my skin.
I've got blueberries ripening in the garden and my wife came home with blueberries in a plastic container from the grocer. The only consolation I have is that my blueberries are feeding the robins.
And then there is 3 oz. of lettuce leaves in a plastic container that weighs 6 oz. But, hey, it's "organic".
I'm starting to lose it.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:31 PM   #29

Hey Bags, the good news is that I've never had any of their stuff break to throw away. Know what you mean tho, I don't like throwing money away on expensive tools when good, cheap tools do the job.

What bugs me tho, is this great terrible coastal California weather, heck my strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries have been harvested and gone for 4 weeks!

G'o
Old 06-30-2016, 10:53 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Have to admit, many years ago, I found myself straddling a branch in the cherry tree, reaching for that last ripe cherry. It was some 15 feet to the ground. And it occurred to me that cherries were on sale at Safeway.
We are two or three weeks early here too.
As for tools, I buy decent quality and then let them rust in my side shed.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:55 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hey, I know Donna D loves that Harbor Freight "stuff". I bought a garden wagon from them and it rusted out & was useless within two years. YMMV
Old 06-30-2016, 11:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hey, I know Donna D loves that Harbor Freight "stuff". I bought a garden wagon from them and it rusted out & was useless within two years. YMMV
2 blocks from the beach? Stainless steel rusts in Los Osos!
Old 07-03-2016, 06:36 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Cheap junk? Can't agree, its great quality for the average Joe level of work or light commercial work needs. I use alot of their tools on my plane, home projects and have several nicad and lithium power tools. Use 'em hard, discard when they wear out or break and replace and I'm still half of a name "quality" brand.

Harbor Freight is amazing. Cheap doesn't describe it, beyond cheap plus free "stuff" just for buying something. Last week was 5 screwdrivers, a flashlight, or a tarp plus 20% off coupons. 25% on Independence Day. I bought a 4" cold chisel and a 5 pound hammer for $9 total last week and got a magnetic flashlight that attaches to our trailer stove hood! Sounds bad but its cheaper to throw it away and go buy something that replace the batteries!

You can sign up on their website for ads and coupons.
I stopped at Harbour Freight once, and found it very similar to Princess Auto here. Mostly low end stuff with a few quality items thrown in. They are very fairly priced though, and if you need a tool for minimal use, it is not too bad, and worthy of purchasing. As one who uses tools for a living, buying quality always wins out, for longevity, ease of use, and being more proficient at doing the job.

I would much rather pay twice the money for a much better product that lasts more that twice as long. Different strokes.....
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:07 PM   #34

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Just got mine yesterday, have yet to put it on, it's a 5.0TA not a 21. Will put it on tomorrow and see how it goes. It was my measurements, wish I had been close enough for a laser run, but no such luck. The look of the finished product on the thread by Rob, sure was nice, best I've seen, hope I'm that lucky.

Big difference in the weight, the Adco covers I had in the past were probably 15 lbs, this one is upwards of 40. I used to roll them up the same way each time so I could carry it up to the left rear corner of the top of the trailer and just unroll it. Worked well by myself, took 3 or 4 minutes. Don't know about the Calmark though, gonna be a choir carrying up the ladder. The weight might also be an issue trying to unroll it.

Might be making a set of Rob's T poles tomorrow.
I was hoping to put up a metal RV cover for our 5.0TA but the HOA will not allow it. We had a Calmark for the Casita and liked it. It looks like this will be what we need. I will call Calmark and see I can use the dimensions you provided, assuming it fits good! I would love to see a few pictures of it with the cover on. Would it be rude of me to ask how much the 5.0TA cover was? Thanks, Bob
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:13 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I stopped at Harbour Freight once, and found it very similar to Princess Auto here. Mostly low end stuff with a few quality items thrown in. They are very fairly priced though, and if you need a tool for minimal use, it is not too bad, and worthy of purchasing. As one who uses tools for a living, buying quality always wins out, for longevity, ease of use, and being more proficient at doing the job.

I would much rather pay twice the money for a much better product that lasts more that twice as long. Different strokes.....
I have to totally agree with you , Jim ,on these statements . The tools are only good for very little use . For a tool I really need I stick with the name brand expensive tools . I also find the electrical items to be very poor quality . I guess this is important if you need better tools for work . For a one time job they are ok . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:01 PM   #36

Heard at Northern Tools today, "psst, hey buddy, don't tell anybody I said this but Harbor Freight has a 25% sale on July 4th?"
Attached Thumbnails
tools_for_a_lifetime-770x445.jpg  
Old 07-03-2016, 09:07 PM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Heard at Northern Tools today, "psst, hey buddy, don't tell anybody I said this but Harbor Freight has a 25% sale on July 4th?"
GREAT! Now I can buy a bunch more long screwdrivers that I use for stirring paint!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:13 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
GREAT! Now I can buy a bunch more long screwdrivers that I use for stirring paint!
Right on Double D! Get the coupon, I got a set free last week with any purchase! They work great for prying and setting nails too!
Attached Thumbnails
1467587952341-150782202.jpg  
Old 07-03-2016, 09:15 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-twnbob View Post
I was hoping to put up a metal RV cover for our 5.0TA but the HOA will not allow it. We had a Calmark for the Casita and liked it. It looks like this will be what we need. I will call Calmark and see I can use the dimensions you provided, assuming it fits good! I would love to see a few pictures of it with the cover on. Would it be rude of me to ask how much the 5.0TA cover was? Thanks, Bob
Might want to hold off a week or so till I can put the cover on and verify the fit.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
I'd be interested in knowing how it goes with one person. Good luck!
Finally got to putting the Calmark Cover on the 5.0TA. My wife gave me a hand refolding the cover so it would unroll correctly once up on the roof. Other then that I did it by myself to see how it'd go.

Carried it to the front of the roof, unrolled it towards the back. Did have to flip it up over the Jack antenna but other then that it worked as planned. Took about 10 minutes to get it unrolled and more or less hanging correctly, mostly cause it was my first try at this one. Took longer to shorten the straps which would have fit around the trailer twice. So it can be done by yourself, at least doing it my way. Total time about 30 minutes first time, maybe half that there after. An 8' ladder would have worked better then the 6'er I have.

Quality seems first rate but the fit was less then I hoped for. Keep in mind that I measured the trailer as opposed to Calmark getting the measurements using their laser. I did send them a note asking about the fit, I think they left me way too much extra fabric. We'll see if they respond. The excess might be more appropriate to a square trailer then a little rounded one although they did ask for and I furnished a number of photos.

Here's the best I could get without resorting to bungee cords underneath. Once I hear back I''ll see if there is anything else I can do.

I did cover the edges of the solar panel and the whole Jack antenna. Also removed the BoatAnt, which needs some maintenance anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
cover1.jpg   cover2.jpg