Calmark cover for a 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2016, 05:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Calmark cover for a 21

We've decided to get a Calmark cover for our 21. They are custom fit so they ask for a bunch of dimensions. I will measure it up but I'm wondering if anyone else has gone through this process for a 21, and if they're pleased with the resulting fit?
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
We've decided to get a Calmark cover for our 21. They are custom fit so they ask for a bunch of dimensions. I will measure it up but I'm wondering if anyone else has gone through this process for a 21, and if they're pleased with the resulting fit?
I'm wondering, can you install it by one person, or does it take 2?
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
I'm wondering, can you install it by one person, or does it take 2?
I wondered about that too. The response that I got was that it can be done with 1 but is easier with 2. They provided me with a document that has recommendations on how to put it on. It's about 35 lbs and when you think about the obstacles on the roof, it's probably best (for you and for the trailer!) with 2.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
I have a Calmark and use Rob's method. It works well.

Putting On The Calmark Cover - The Casita Club Forum - The Casita Club Forums
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
I'm also ready to purchase a Calmark cover. They told me that they can " laser" measure if you bring the unit to them, or if your close enough they will come to you.
Has anyone done this, or considering to have Calmark measure your 21' in the near future ?
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:45 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Just got mine yesterday, have yet to put it on, it's a 5.0TA not a 21. Will put it on tomorrow and see how it goes. It was my measurements, wish I had been close enough for a laser run, but no such luck. The look of the finished product on the thread by Rob, sure was nice, best I've seen, hope I'm that lucky.

Big difference in the weight, the Adco covers I had in the past were probably 15 lbs, this one is upwards of 40. I used to roll them up the same way each time so I could carry it up to the left rear corner of the top of the trailer and just unroll it. Worked well by myself, took 3 or 4 minutes. Don't know about the Calmark though, gonna be a choir carrying up the ladder. The weight might also be an issue trying to unroll it.

Might be making a set of Rob's T poles tomorrow.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:04 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Are you done camping for the season already Bob or just trying it on for size?
Old 06-29-2016, 10:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, May 2014
Hi,

Here is a copy of the measurements that I supplied to Calmark for my Escape 21 cover. The cover they made fits perfectly and covers the storage box and power jack. I put it on myself after once or twice having help. Once you've done it few times it isn't hard. Lifting that much bulk to the top of the trailer and orienting it such that it deploys correctly is the hardest part. Anyway, I hope this is useful to you.

Cheers!
Fletch
Attached Thumbnails
Escape 21 - 1.jpg   Escape 21 - 2.png   Escape 21 - 3.jpg  
Fletch Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Are you done camping for the season already Bob or just trying it on for size?
Haven't been summer campers since the kids grew up. We'll do May/Jun and Sept-Nov, then head for warmer climes Jan-March. At least that's the plan.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:42 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Just got mine yesterday, have yet to put it on, it's a 5.0TA not a 21. Will put it on tomorrow and see how it goes. It was my measurements, wish I had been close enough for a laser run, but no such luck. The look of the finished product on the thread by Rob, sure was nice, best I've seen, hope I'm that lucky.

Big difference in the weight, the Adco covers I had in the past were probably 15 lbs, this one is upwards of 40. I used to roll them up the same way each time so I could carry it up to the left rear corner of the top of the trailer and just unroll it. Worked well by myself, took 3 or 4 minutes. Don't know about the Calmark though, gonna be a choir carrying up the ladder. The weight might also be an issue trying to unroll it.

Hi: padlin... As long as the "Soprano's" are at the top of the ladder it won't be as much of a chore!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:57 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post

I'd be interested in knowing how it goes with one person. Good luck!
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnFSJCA View Post
Hi,

Here is a copy of the measurements that I supplied to Calmark for my Escape 21 cover. The cover they made fits perfectly and covers the storage box and power jack. I put it on myself after once or twice having help. Once you've done it few times it isn't hard. Lifting that much bulk to the top of the trailer and orienting it such that it deploys correctly is the hardest part. Anyway, I hope this is useful to you.

Cheers!
Fletch
That was EXTREMELY useful - thank you so much!
Old 06-30-2016, 10:30 AM   #13

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Hi,

Cheers!
Fletch
Hey, thanks for the diagrams! The numbers will probably be a bit different for the 2017 version we're getting, but it's nice to see exactly where all you measured.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
I'd be interested in knowing how it goes with one person. Good luck!
Just got delayed for a couple weeks. Having the house resided and a few other odds and ends, they called and are starting Tuesday. Will be using the trailer to get away from all the hammering.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:50 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Quote:
Hi,

Cheers!
Fletch
Great stuff ! Just what I needed, field tested measurements to validate mine.

Thanks Fletch
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:22 AM   #16

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Calmark is made just up the road from us. I found a returned new 21 cover on ebay for $400. Calmark said they'd do any mod's to it we'd like.

Wonder who returned it?

Greg
Old 06-30-2016, 02:18 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
FWIIW We have a Calmark cover for our Casita, and it is very well made and great customer support.

however

I'm a middle aged 'fit' person, as is my wife, and we struggle to get the cover on, and off, working as a pair.

it is possible, but as often as we want to take it on and off, (6 transitions a year, maybe?) it is a pain.

we are going to go the sun shade compromise with our new 2017 21'.

just my 2c

and i understand that needs vary.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:26 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
I have a plan. Lay the cover out in front of the trailer, rear on top. Using two broomsticks with nails in the end, insert the nails into 2 grommets I'm installing on the cover at the part which will come up and over first. Lift it up over the front and walk back, raising the cover enough to clear the a/c.

Will it work, stay tuned.....
Old 06-30-2016, 02:32 PM   #19

I tried to talk Deb into an RV port, one of the metal roof jobs, no go. Our home in the sticks turned into a home in the hood.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:44 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
I have a plan. Lay the cover out in front of the trailer, rear on top. Using two broomsticks with nails in the end, insert the nails into 2 grommets I'm installing on the cover at the part which will come up and over first. Lift it up over the front and walk back, raising the cover enough to clear the a/c.

Will it work, stay tuned.....
I do something very similar with broomsticks, no grommets, and my non-Calmark cover. Works very easily and two of us can install the whole cover in less time than it takes to drink a beer.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote