Canadian Taxes: Pick up in Chilliwak? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2021, 11:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Canadian Taxes: Pick up in Chilliwak?

If we choose to go to Chilliwak to pick up our new 21C will we have to pay any taxes? Mostly interested in sales tax. Will travel across Canada for a few months before return home to the US. Know we will have some import taxes when we return, but do not know the amount.

If we have to pay Canadian sales tax we might get a credit against TX sales tax when we register.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 12:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Check with Escape. My impression is that US buyers must take receipt of trailer in Sumas, WA even if visiting Escape to preview the trailer. Then you can cross the border into Canada with trailer in tow. I’m sure others have done it and can hopefully chime in.
Old 11-14-2021, 12:16 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Check with Escape. My impression is that US buyers must take receipt of trailer in Sumas, WA even if visiting Escape to preview the trailer. Then you can cross the border into Canada with trailer in tow. I’m sure others have done it and can hopefully chime in.
That's exactly what happens. ETI must import the trailer into the USA.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 12:27 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Sales taxes are paid when you register your Escape in your home state, otherwise there are some miscellaneous fees/tariffs when importing your Escape, but nothing major until the registration fees are paid.
Old 11-14-2021, 12:40 PM   #5

I found these pictures when we picked up our 2019 E21.....if my memory serves me we picked up in Chilliwack and then headed over to Osoyoos. How and when we paid the tariff escapes my chemobrain right now.......
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1150.jpg   DSCF1151.jpg   DSCF1152.jpg  
Old 11-14-2021, 01:43 PM   #6

Thanks, all. One less thing to figure out.
Old 11-14-2021, 04:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Thanks, all. One less thing to figure out.
yes insofar as import / location where you actually take possession, but FYI from a fellow Bastrop County resident doing this a few months ago ...
  • Working with our (trying to be helpful) Bastrop TX County Clerk I could never find a way to get a tag (license plate), temporary or otherwise, for a trailer picked-up in Sumas
  • Similarly, I could not find a way to avoid the 10% tax penalty if the TX title application was not submitted within 30 days of the 'new-trailer-not-previously-titled-anywhere' transfer date shown on the Bill of Sale issued by ETI (mine was dated the delivery date when I actually took possession)
  • I could not find a way around the TX title requirement for an in-person VIN inspection by an authorized LEO in TX (ETI declining to execute the TX forms required from a remote dealer to avoid that TX LEO VIN inspection)
While none of that presents any real problem if traveling more or less directly from Sumas to TX (just run 'commando' without a tag keeping the provided sales and import documentation in hand if stopped by a reasonable LEO), I'm not sure if that would be as successful for a few months on the road in Canada?

I do wish you the best of luck working through that somehow so you can pick up your trailer in Sumas and head back into Canada for a few months of travel before returning to TX - that sounds like a wonderful trip!

Perhaps there's a way to get a WA state tag timely and then get the credit for any tax paid there as allowed by TX law when you return here (that's an 'angle' I did not pursue in my discussions with our county clerk)?

BTW, the VIN inspection thing was easy in Bastrop - the authorized County Sheriff Investigator and City of Bastrop Police counterpart hold joint 'VIN inspection sessions' several times each month; I was able to get mine done the day after I returned home with my new Escape from delivery in Denton and walk across the street to get the title/tax/registration thing done immediately after, leaving the clerk's office with a license plate in hand.

Good Luck and Have Fun!
Old 11-14-2021, 04:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2022 E19
I checked with ETI just a couple of days ago about doing the exact opposite; ie A Canadian picking up a new Escape trailer in the US (less expensive shipping).

"Any customer taking possession of their trailer needs to do so in the country they will be registering it, the country that is on their certificate of origin."
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
If we have to pay Canadian sales tax we might get a credit against TX sales tax when we register.
It's hard to imagine that Texas would care whether or not you paid any tax of any kind in Canada, or even in another state. A more likely scenario - if you were able to take delivery in Canada (which you won't unless buying used) - would be getting a refund from British Columbia of their 7% provincial sales tax, and paying Texas sales tax regardless of what you paid or got refunded elsewhere. I don't think there is any way to get a refund of Canada's 5% GST (Goods & Services Tax).

The normal way to do this is to take delivery in the U.S. (in Sumas), then continue into Canada for your vacation... with a trailer which belongs in the U.S. and is just visiting Canada (so no Canadian taxes).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:17 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It's hard to imagine that Texas would care whether or not you paid any tax of any kind in Canada, or even in another state. ...
FYI it's an explicit and commonly applied part of tax code in TX - If a person buys a new vehicle or RV in another state and is required to pay "sales tax" in that state, but then brings the new vehicle/RV to TX for it's first title application, TX reduces the 6.25% TX sales tax due by the amount of the documented sales tax paid to the other state. In TX vehicle sales tax is calculated and paid as part of the title application process and only state sales tax is due on vehicles/RVs (local option sales taxes that are stacked on other retail goods cannot be applied to vehicles/RVs).

This is regularly applied when folks buy a new vehicle or RV in another state, I've no idea why TX gives the break, no idea if other states are similar, but here it's the way it's done. The standard title application form has line "(g) Tax Paid to ______ (STATE): $____" for this purpose; given how that's styled I suspect entering a non-US state would not 'fly', but I've never asked.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
FYI it's an explicit and commonly applied part of tax code in TX - If a person buys a new vehicle or RV in another state .....
Yeah, believe it or not Texas ain't the only state that does that tax credit. The operational word to me is State- as in United States. Canada doesn't count.

Those of us who've been around here for awhile know how weird Texas DMV is regarding registering new trailers. Kinda surprising and if I lived there would be writing my Representative in the State House with a suggestion to change it.
Old 11-15-2021, 02:58 AM   #12

The Texas policy is good (if strange and nonsensical) news for people buying other trailers, but not helpful for an Escape.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:43 AM   #13

Thanks, everyone, Sumas it is. I think the real kicker if one could pick up the trailer in Canada would be the GST.
Old 11-15-2021, 12:49 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Thanks, everyone, Sumas it is. I think the real kicker if one could pick up the trailer in Canada would be the GST.
It's a whole lot easier to pick the trailer up in Sumas after ETI imports it to the U.S. than to pick it up in Canada, pay Canadian taxes, import it yourself into the U.S. and then submit necessary documents to be reimbursed.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:17 PM   #15

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
For temporary tags, look into Oregon. It is a much better option than WA.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:36 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Even for Alberta residents we do not have to pay the BC Provincial Tax, but do have to pay the GST like anyone in Canada would. This is the case with picking up too. We just have to have an permanent Alberta address.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:46 AM   #17

Given all of the replies it does not look like it makes sense for a US buyer to pick up in Chilliwak, even if ETI would allow it. Between the GST, which would not be recoverable, and possible sales tax, which also might not be credited against TX sales tax, it is not a viable option.

Thanks to everyone for the information and ideas.

(I may stop by TX registration to see about an extended trip permit, but it is probably not available without a VIN, which you only get after full payment.)
Old 11-16-2021, 10:56 AM   #18

Again. you only pay sales taxes in the state you reside, no where else.
Old 11-16-2021, 02:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Again. you only pay sales taxes in the state you reside, no where else.
Again, the Canadian federal GST is a sales tax, and if you purchase in Canada you will pay it even if you live in Antarctica.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:34 PM   #20

Trailer: shopping
Pay taxes and get plate before you leave Texas

Why not get you certificate MSO sent to you in Texas and handle it before you leave if not going directly back to Texas. When you arrive to pickup the trailer your fully titled and tagged as Texas. Do your trip to Canada and back will make border crossing no stress.
Unless ETI won't send it, I'm assuming its paid for in full before it is loaded for delivery, so don't see why you couldn't get the paperwork.
PatrickTXFL is offline   Reply With Quote