Charge controller on roof?? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2016, 09:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 21' Escape 2017
Charge controller on roof??

Thank you to everyone that helped me with my antenna questions. I have one more question. ETI will install a solar panel on the 21 model that I purchased but they will permanently install the controller on the roof. Is that something that is normally done? It doesn't make sense to me.
laurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:17 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Laurah,
You're right, that does not make sense. The solar panel is permanently mounted onto brackets bolted through the roof. The controller is flush-mounted within the trailer. Here's a statement from the Samlex controller manual:
" The Charge Controller should be installed indoor only in a well ventilated, cool, dry environment. • Do not expose to moisture, rain, snow or liquids of any type "
Here's what our install looks like:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/me...cture1673.html
Here's the solar on the roof:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/me...cture1666.html
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:17 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Unless they're installing some sort of different and waterproof charge controller (haven't heard of one) for after sell installs, there should never be a charge controller mounted outside.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2016, 01:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurah View Post
Thank you to everyone that helped me with my antenna questions. I have one more question. ETI will install a solar panel on the 21 model that I purchased but they will permanently install the controller on the roof. Is that something that is normally done? It doesn't make sense to me.
If the solar panel "you purchased" has the controller mounted to the panel then it would be on the roof with the panel. Are you asking them to mount a portable panel?
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #5

Solar

Hello David,
I bought the 21' model and I'm just asking them to now install the standard solar panel.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:00 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Accepted practices call for the controller to be installed within 1 meter of the battery(s) using the heaviest gauge wire the controller will accept. The controller should not be installed inside the battery box. One more reason for a no.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:10 PM   #7

I got another email saying it would be installed inside. Not sure what is going on there
Old 10-12-2016, 04:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Any idea what the reason is for not having the controller in the battery box? I bought a water-tight box to keep my controller in, but then I was wondering about heat building up. In the battery box would prevent that and keep it dry.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #9

Controller

The last email said it would be mounted above the fridge. I'm not sure why it's not by the batteries.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:28 PM   #10

There are a number of reasons for not having the controller in the battery box. The first is the electrical danger. Flooded batteries may off gas, namely hydrogen, during the charge process and any chance of a spark could result in an explosion. Such events as a runaway charger or poorly programed charger can cause this as well.

Second, it is just good practice to isolate batteries from something you are adjusting or connecting in case of a dropped tool. So that slipped screwdriver does not create a light and sound show. Keeping non essential things out of the battery box and keeping the box closed while working is an important safety practice.

The third reason is the gas that is present in the battery box can cause a premature failure in the electrical components of a charger/controller, it is just plain hard on electronics. So keeping that controller outside eliminates that problem.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:47 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Where it is mounted will have little impact on it's performance, so aesthetically it is above the refer in the 21, in the 19 it is below the dinette.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:16 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
The third reason is the gas that is present in the battery box can cause a premature failure in the electrical components of a charger/controller, it is just plain hard on electronics. So keeping that controller outside eliminates that problem.
This makes sense in my case. My controller has nothing to switch on or adjust. Just three LEDs. The alligator clips have to attach to the terminals so they have to be inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar Accessories.jpg  
Old 12-09-2016, 12:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Access to Solar Controller input connections

I would like the option of connecting a second portable solar array to the controller input after I take delivery of our Escape 21. With the Solar controller mounted above the refrigerator, is there access to the connections after the trailer is built? Or should I ask for an additional set of wires run from the controller input into the cabinet below the driver's side dinette seat?
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:30 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe the controller hook ups are at the battery which is under the dinette seat, easily accessible by the rear side hatch for another set up.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:40 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
" The Charge Controller should be installed indoor only in a well ventilated, cool, dry environment. • Do not expose to moisture, rain, snow or liquids of any type "
And I like mine to be easily visible, but then I also like to keep my panel oriented for maximum output.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
18-01-2015 3-19-29 PM6_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:24 PM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I would like the option of connecting a second portable solar array to the controller input after I take delivery of our Escape 21. With the Solar controller mounted above the refrigerator, is there access to the connections after the trailer is built? Or should I ask for an additional set of wires run from the controller input into the cabinet below the driver's side dinette seat?
I'd ask for the wires.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:28 PM   #17

Why are you looking to put the controller in that particular location? Standard practice calls for the controller within 3 feet of the batteries and using the heaviest gauge wire to the battery(s) that the controller will accept. I was limited to 8 gauge.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:52 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
And I like mine to be easily visible, but then I also like to keep my panel oriented for maximum output.

Ron
Very nice set up Ron Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:45 PM   #19

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I believe the controller hook ups are at the battery which is under the dinette seat, easily accessible by the rear side hatch for another set up.
Is ETI using the GoPower these days?

For the GoPower I believe the control panel and controller are one unit and is mounted either above the fridge or in the front of one of the dinette benches.

Where ever the controller is is where Richard needs a cable run. If it is above the fridge then you'd have to pull the fridge to get access to the panel and run a cable from it down and around the U bench to the hatch. Not hard but might be more then one wants to do.

If it's mounted to the bench, then it would be an easy DIY job.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:00 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
You will also need some kind of access hatch for the portable panel wires. I am having ETI install a standard electrical hatch and run wires from the controller above the fridge down to where the hatch will be. The cost is $100. I think for that price I would rather have them do it than me have to wrestle with the fridge.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote