Checking Out the Competition - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2023, 01:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 E19
Checking Out the Competition

I had the opportunity to attend a local RV show over the past weekend. This gave me the chance to check out a few trailers that I had researched prior to placing an order for an E19. All were in the 18-21’ range for overall length, 3500ish lbs dry weight, and generally no slides.

Of the high-volume/conventionally built “Elkhart” brands in this size range, I was able to tour various examples of the Cherokee Wolf Pup, Vista Cruiser, Rpod, Geo-Pro, Jay Feather Micro, and a few others. All definitely felt like they are built to a price (most cost roughly 60-65% of an Escape)….though the overall fit-and-finish of the display models was better than I expected.

There were a few of these models that stood out. The new Grand Design “Imagine AIM” series and the Ember “Overland” series seemed better built than most and offered some innovative features/floorplans. The Winnebago “Micro Mini” was also nicer than I expected…and was the only trailer in this size range at the show to feature tandem axles. These models carried steeper pricing (75% of an Escape or more).

The three models present at the show that I thought were true competitors to the E19 were the NuCamp Tab 400, Little Guy Max, and the InTech Sol Horizon. All featured comparable floor plans and overall fit-and-finish level. Pricing for any of these three is still less than the E19…but not by a huge amount. The Sol looked to be the best constructed, but also had the least amount of storage, no sink in the wet bath, and combined black/grey tank. The Tab 400 was very nicely finished and had some innovative features, but the teardrop design and shorter length made it feel less spacious inside. The Max was my favorite of the three. The extra length offset the teardrop factor and it felt quite spacious inside. The quality of the cabinets and interior finishing seemed very comparable to an Escape. Still no bathroom sink though.

The only moulded fiberglass RV on display was a Northern Lite camper. It was very impressive!

I was hoping that dealer-represented brands like Airstream, Bigfoot, Helio, and Safari Condo Alto would be present at the show. Unfortunately, no dice.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 03:35 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Years ago, the T@b had a larger brother, the T@da, which I owned for awhile. Then I discovered fiberglass and now #5 Escape.....
Old 01-30-2023, 04:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
There were a few of these models that stood out. The new Grand Design “Imagine AIM” series and the Ember “Overland” series seemed better built than most and offered some innovative features/floorplans. The Winnebago “Micro Mini” was also nicer than I expected…and was the only trailer in this size range at the show to feature tandem axles. These models carried steeper pricing (75% of an Escape or more).
Not too surprising since none of these brands are owned by Thor or Forest River. Grand Design is actually owned by Winnebago. Ember seems to be independent...for now.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:07 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
We loved our Rpod but it was not engineered for the long haul which is why we switched to Escape. The quality and workmanship of the Escape is head and shoulders above most of what is out there in the market.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 10:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
I had the opportunity to attend a local RV show over the past weekend. This gave me the chance to check out a few trailers that I had researched prior to placing an order for an E19. All were in the 18-21’ range for overall length, 3500ish lbs dry weight, and generally no slides.

Of the high-volume/conventionally built “Elkhart” brands in this size range, I was able to tour various examples of the Cherokee Wolf Pup, Vista Cruiser, Rpod, Geo-Pro, Jay Feather Micro, and a few others. All definitely felt like they are built to a price (most cost roughly 60-65% of an Escape)….though the overall fit-and-finish of the display models was better than I expected.

The three models present at the show that I thought were true competitors to the E19 were the NuCamp Tab 400, Little Guy Max, and the InTech Sol Horizon. All featured comparable floor plans and overall fit-and-finish level. Pricing for any of these three is still less than the E19…but not by a huge amount. The Sol looked to be the best constructed, but also had the least amount of storage, no sink in the wet bath, and combined black/grey tank. The Tab 400 was very nicely finished and had some innovative features, but the teardrop design and shorter length made it feel less spacious inside. The Max was my favorite of the three. The extra length offset the teardrop factor and it felt quite spacious inside. The quality of the cabinets and interior finishing seemed very comparable to an Escape. Still no bathroom sink though.

The only moulded fiberglass RV on display was a Northern Lite camper. It was very impressive!

I was hoping that dealer-represented brands like Airstream, Bigfoot, Helio, and Safari Condo Alto would be present at the show. Unfortunately, no dice.
Interesting optional lithium package for the eighteen-foot-long TAB 400 teardrop:

400-Amp Hrs of Lithium w/ Internal Heat
Bluetooth® Connected SmartShunt
3000-Watt Inverter/Charger
Attached Thumbnails
2023-tab-400-feat-06.jpg  
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 11:30 AM   #6

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGLP View Post
Interesting optional lithium package for the eighteen-foot-long TAB 400 teardrop:

400-Amp Hrs of Lithium w/ Internal Heat
Bluetooth® Connected SmartShunt
3000-Watt Inverter/Charger
I'm curious how much extra that lithium package is worth. Interestingly, the 2023 Tab 400 that the dealer had available with the boondock package, but without the lithium package, listed for significantly more than an equivalent configured E19. With discounts applied, the actual selling price is virtually identical.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:06 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I installed 412AH of lithium and a 2000W inverter in my E21C... Top quality (SOK) batteries were $2200, inverter was $300. I also spent $300 on a 360W LG solar panel + $240 on the Victron solar controller
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 10:07 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21NE
Our first trailer was an Rpod too. We appreciate te quality of the Escape 21NE every time we use it (and see an Rpod)!
Old 02-17-2023, 07:55 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 2023
Thanks for the show review. I have an E19 on order and due in June. Right now I own a Nucamp Tab 320, one size down from the Tab 400. I had planned to get a Tab 400 this year, but when I saw that ETI had delivery dates for June, I placed my order. I love the Tab 400 for these reasons: Alde heating system rocks, their windows are the bomb, lithium is now standard (yes, standard), it’s lightweight, I can stand up in it, permanent bed and nice dinette, star gazing window, black tank flush, well-built…. Price is 42k. What sold me on ETI is dual propane, tandem axle, tons more storage, bigger fridge, dinette folds down into a regular sized bed (Tab 400 dinette is more like a kids bed), fiberglass, an awning, more interior space since it’s not a teardrop shape…. And I’m sure there is more. E19 base price not much more than the 400. Nucamp is known for their customer service and workmanship. I’m going to miss my Nucamp — mostly the Alde and the windows I think. I hope that ETI will go with the Alde eventually and use those great windows that Nucamp has or find something just as good. Anyway, I’m here for the adventure and know that my E19 will be a blast, too! BTW my Tab 320 (2020) will be for sale in May!!!! In Asheville, NC. Going to keep using it until I get my E19.
Jules2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 07:14 AM   #10

I owned a T@b before going to fiberglass, never looked back.....
Old 02-18-2023, 07:34 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 19 2023
Jim -- so glad to hear that! I'm excited. That is music to my ears.
Jules2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 07:51 AM   #12

We just picked up our 5th Escape last May and will be at Escape Rally n Osoyoos in May. That would be a great place for you see just about any model of Escape makes, all in one place, and use, and how well they hold up!
Old 02-18-2023, 10:55 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandering Minstrel View Post
Our first trailer was an Rpod too. We appreciate te quality of the Escape 21NE every time we use it (and see an Rpod)!
LOL! We absolutely loved our Rpod/Nissan Frontier rig but the Escape is at a completely different level. I'm still on the Rpod forum and the build quality issues seem to be getting worse. There is a thread going where 4 folks with late model Rpods have had to have Forest River come and pick up their trailers because the floors are warping. One owner has been waiting 5 months to get his back. One of our slide motors failed on our second or third trip and it took 4 months to get it repaired under warranty.

Like you, we are grateful every time we camp in our Escape.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 11:50 AM   #14

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules2go View Post
Thanks for the show review. I have an E19 on order and due in June. Right now I own a Nucamp Tab 320, one size down from the Tab 400. I had planned to get a Tab 400 this year, but when I saw that ETI had delivery dates for June, I placed my order. I love the Tab 400 for these reasons: Alde heating system rocks, their windows are the bomb, lithium is now standard (yes, standard), it’s lightweight, I can stand up in it, permanent bed and nice dinette, star gazing window, black tank flush, well-built…. Price is 42k.
When shopping for this RV (our first) we liked the Tab 400 for all the reasons you listed. It’s got some great things going for it. The interior size and the curved roof over the bed were the drawbacks for us. I’m not claustrophobic, but when I laid down on the aft end of the bed it really felt closed in. It’s a very nice camper, though, and it was in our short list all the way to the end.

We love our 21C, and we’re sure you made the right choice with your Escape too. Happy camping!
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote